View Poll Results: Do you/will you own a Warbonnet?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own a Blackbird!

41 32.28%
  • I ordered a Blackbird!

20 15.75%
  • I have That Other Warbonnet Hammock

6 4.72%
  • I have some other hammock that I use

71 55.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    ok, i'm sure some light gets through the tarp, but that sounds much better.

we rented a cabin up in the hills once, and the fabric (probably nylon) foldable lawnchairs had been sitting out on the deck and were faded, they'd obviously been in the sun. anyway the bottom ripped right out on 2 of them, and it was probably a 3+oz fabric.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ok, i'm sure some light gets through the tarp, but that sounds much better.
    The BB is a prized possession and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm gonna protect it!

I don't care what happens to my Kelty Noah's tarp. They are cheap, easy to find, and are perfect for helping to protect my hammocks from UV rays while in the backyard.
    Last edited by Alan; 02-13-2009 at 13:04. Reason: Spelling error

I own a BB. I thought I should get the best gathered end hammock available as a comparisson test for the bridge hammocks that I make. Overall comfort and flatness are primarily what I am comparing. Plus I like supporting innovative cottage industries- like Warbonnet.

I keep the BB in reserve for hiking friends, in case they want to hang, but may not like my bridge hammocks as much. Since purchasing it, I have also made a bridge for big heavy guys. Previously I would not have been able to offer a choice of hammocks to my double weight friend. This Spring I will offer him his choice; I am curious as to what kind of hammock a person of that body type would prefer.

So far the BB has not seen a night outdoors but I am still glad that I have it- (even though I clearly prefer a bridge hammock personally). As someone else mentioned "I thought they would cost more". Yes, they are currently a bargain- not to be passed up!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I dont own an eno, but I've laid in one, on the diagonal, and my knees get much more hyperextended than in the blackbird. My guess is that the way Brandon whipped it, combined with the foot box, makes it so you can lay on a more extreme diagonal than you can in an eno, because of the extra space for your feet.

The key difference of the blackbird from other hammocks, IMO, is the foot box. The shelf is pretty cool, and the double tie-outs make it feel a lot more spacious inside, but the sweetness is the boatloads of room for your feet.
    I'm not seeing how much difference there could be due to whipping myself. The ENO has a channel, the BB sort of does but doubles back---there's not an obvious reason why there should be more or less pull on the sides by one over the other. If both hammocks start as rectangles, but one feels like it has more room in the feet area, it's because the top of the fabric in the foot area is being pulled away. So I'm thinking the difference with respect to foot area must be due to the tie-outs.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    But there aren't any tie-outs on the BB footbox. You think the tie-outs up near the head are the culprits? How's that work?

Cannibal, the physics challenged
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I've done some deconstruction of my BB. Once you take off the bugnet, footbox and shelf side piece and zipper you have a 9' 3" double layer hammock with a channel end and a ridgeline. The footbox seams to do two things as far as I can tell. Give that corner alot of slack and give the hanger the ability to put their foot further out. I think I can get just as flat in an eno but my feet feel weird going to the edge of the hammock. Now with the footbox there when you put your feet to the edge of the hammock body you still feel like you have more hammock under you but it is really a single layer and other than give that corner plenty of slack I don't think it contributes anything. The zipper on the other side gives a great feeling of spaciousness but you don't really use that area. The whipping is just a channel so it isn't doing anything. The user is what makes it asymetrical more then the hammock itself. Brandon did an awsome job of coming up with the right dimensions along with the right ridge length. Also his knowledge of material is vast and he figured out polyester = less stretch and less stretch = flatness. Also the tie outs being at the shoulder makes it so you have room where it counts the most. Best of breed..definately
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I've done some deconstruction of my BB. Once you take off the bugnet, footbox and shelf side piece and zipper you have a 9' 3" double layer hammock with a channel end and a ridgeline. The footbox seams to do two things as far as I can tell. Give that corner alot of slack and give the hanger the ability to put their foot further out. I think I can get just as flat in an eno but my feet feel weird going to the edge of the hammock. Now with the footbox there when you put your feet to the edge of the hammock body you still feel like you have more hammock under you but it is really a single layer and other than give that corner plenty of slack I don't think it contributes anything. The zipper on the other side gives a great feeling of spaciousness but you don't really use that area. The whipping is just a channel so it isn't doing anything. The user is what makes it asymetrical more then the hammock itself. Brandon did an awsome job of coming up with the right dimensions along with the right ridge length. Also his knowledge of material is vast and he figured out polyester = less stretch and less stretch = flatness. Also the tie outs being at the shoulder makes it so you have room where it counts the most. Best of breed..definately
    Leave it to Dutch to deconstruct his BB. Only someone like you, with your mad, confident sewing skills could or would attempt this. I have thought about it, but I know I wouldn't get it back together exactly as it was prior to my ruining......, err, disassembling it.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    ah, the truth emerges. The money phrase
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    ... I think I can get just as flat in an eno but my feet feel weird going to the edge of the hammock. Now with the footbox there when you put your feet to the edge of the hammock body you still feel like you have more hammock under you but it is really a single layer and other than give that corner plenty of slack I don't think it contributes anything.
    my intuition has been that the magic part of the BB is above the waterline, and this confirms it. The magic seems to start right at that waterline...

thanks Dutch

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ah, the truth emerges. The money phrase

my intuition has been that the magic part of the BB is above the waterline, and this confirms it. The magic seems to start right at that waterline...

thanks Dutch

Grizz
    While I have no doubt in Dutch's analysis, my personal expirence is different.
    IMO, there is more to the difference in the lay of the BB and the ENO than simply the footbox.(although I'm sure that contributes also.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'm not seeing how much difference there could be due to whipping myself. The ENO has a channel, the BB sort of does but doubles back---there's not an obvious reason why there should be more or less pull on the sides by one over the other. Grizz
    The whipping WBG does is very different than a simple channel ala ENO or Claytor.
    The Claytor style runs the suspension through the channel and under tension, the stress of suspension is directly applied to the hammock body.
    WBG uses a channel but the suspension doesn't use that channel. His suspension attaches in more of a Speer gathered/whipped (read larks head knot) style. The long side have very little tension even under the weight of a person. In a Claytor/ENO, IMO, the long sides have a higher amount of tension
    Again IMO, based on my own DIY failures, this makes a difference on the lay of the hammock. Add this to the footbox (like I said, the footbox is a part of the equation) and you change not only the lay of the hammock, but the positioning of the person.
    No matter what, it sure is **** comfortabe!!
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 02-13-2009 at 15:22.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As it has been a cold winter I have chosen to use my DIY hammock for deep winter trips as I am so familiar with it and my full UQ. That said, I love the room and comfort of my BB and as we approach a shoulder season I plan to take it to the piney woods more. Love the Bug Net and Shelf.... and my 1/2 UQ works wonderfully with the BB in my back 40 testing. Mainly have to get a little used to cooking from just one side of the hammock ... no big deal. Did I mention that the comfort is incredible?!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast