Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Man View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Sidewinder, Thanks for the link. I use a resmed brand with the warmed humidifier at home and I love it. But after looking at their website, I found they don't sell one that runs on batteries other than one with a converter that you plug into your vehicle's 12 Volt system. I hate to spend 800 bucks+ just to be able to camp. lol. Have you had yours long? I wonder if insurance will cover the one you linked?
    I hear you. It is a lot of money, but your health is worth it. I choose this model because it is the smallest and lightest, I could find. About the size of a Nalgene bottle. I do go without as well. On my longer trips (days>3) I will alternate days using and going without. I might spring for an extra battery but for now most trips I do are within the range of the battery I have. As for insurance, it really depends on what you have and what it covers. I was out of pocket for mine. I've had mine for about 6 months. It is not humidified, but they do offer a type of humidification that I have not yet tried. It's an add on but does not use any additional water other then using your heated breath to moisten the air as you inhale. The technology is called Heat moisture exchange humidification (HME).

https://www.cpap-supply.com/ProductD...uctCode=303005

It seems a bit complicated and maybe more then I want to deal with. I don't find I miss the humidification when I'm out in the woods. I will try to get some pictures of my set up next time I use it.

I will say that I do sleep better and for longer periods with the CPAP in my hammock. Without it, I find that I wake up every 2 hours and have to water the trees I usually get a solid 6 hours of hammock sleep with the CPAP. It is pricey but my sleep/health is worth it and I enjoy my hammock much better. Compared to how much I spend on my other gear, it's not out of line.

S

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Big Dog, I was on one of the sleep apnea websites earlier today and they say that works for some and not for others. The jury is still out on it.
    I have heard the same thing and i'm considering going in to find out if i'm one of the lucky ones. The pressure setting on my cpap machine isn't that high so i'm hoping that puts me in the right category.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the info friend, I appreciate it very much. My resmed brand is the S8 compact. It has the humidifier. I have used it for several years and I really love it. Is the one you use for trips the same one you use regularly at home, or did you get it just for trips? I use the nasal mask but I am thinking of trying the nasal pillows.
    I was hoping for a battery powered one to use just for hanging and for when the power goes out. That one is a little pricey, not so much for the unit but for the extended battery. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I hear you. It is a lot of money, but your health is worth it. I choose this model because it is the smallest and lightest, I could find. About the size of a Nalgene bottle. I do go without as well. On my longer trips (days>3) I will alternate days using and going without. I might spring for an extra battery but for now most trips I do are within the range of the battery I have. As for insurance, it really depends on what you have and what it covers. I was out of pocket for mine. I've had mine for about 6 months. It is not humidified, but they do offer a type of humidification that I have not yet tried. It's an add on but does not use any additional water other then using your heated breath to moisten the air as you inhale. The technology is called Heat moisture exchange humidification (HME).

https://www.cpap-supply.com/ProductD...uctCode=303005

It seems a bit complicated and maybe more then I want to deal with. I don't find I miss the humidification when I'm out in the woods. I will try to get some pictures of my set up next time I use it.

I will say that I do sleep better and for longer periods with the CPAP in my hammock. Without it, I find that I wake up every 2 hours and have to water the trees I usually get a solid 6 hours of hammock sleep with the CPAP. It is pricey but my sleep/health is worth it and I enjoy my hammock much better. Compared to how much I spend on my other gear, it's not out of line.

S

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good luck with it. Maybe it will work for you, I hope so. If you get it let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDogDVJ View Post
    I have heard the same thing and i'm considering going in to find out if i'm one of the lucky ones. The pressure setting on my cpap machine isn't that high so i'm hoping that puts me in the right category.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Thanks for the info friend, I appreciate it very much. My resmed brand is the S8 compact. It has the humidifier. I have used it for several years and I really love it. Is the one you use for trips the same one you use regularly at home, or did you get it just for trips? I use the nasal mask but I am thinking of trying the nasal pillows.
    I was hoping for a battery powered one to use just for hanging and for when the power goes out. That one is a little pricey, not so much for the unit but for the extended battery. lol.
    I use a Respironics Remstar AutoCPAP as my daily user. I use the Transcend only for my trips. I too use nasal pillows, mostly because they weigh less. I use short hosing too. Funny, I weigh everything I have to the gram but have not weighed my CPAP system. :edit: Weight of my system as carried is just under 2.5 lbs.

Good luck in whatever you choose. It took me a number of years to purchase a dedicated sleep system for my trips. It really didn't occur to me until this past year when I ran across the Transcend model. I think it is revolutionary to have a CPAP system that can be used in the backcountry that you wouldn't mind carrying for miles, although it has moved me from a UL camper to a Lightweight one

S
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 06-16-2012 at 11:09. Reason: Added weight of CPAP System

This is a non mechanical/electrical solution to apnea ...

http://www.sleepbetterva.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9 Double
    I will be Scootering/Camping/Hammocking (Scammocking ) across the country this summer. I have the ResMed s8 elite CPAP.

I received this yesterday - CPAP Battery Kit:
    http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/cpa...-dc-cable.html

I charged it (wall AC) and tested it out last night.

For charging the battery while traveling, I also bought the power inverter:
    http://www.cpap.com/productpage/aims...-inverter.html

If you order from them, after you put everything in your cart, try to leave without finishing. They offered me free 2-day shipping

Hammock
    GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After spending another almost sleepless night last Friday night in the hammock, and not having $800+/- to spend on a nice portable system, I'd really like to hear more about the Provident system. Has anyone actually gotten an Rx for these and tried them out? I sure would like to hear more about them.

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Rookie 1st time poster here but I've been reading the forums for awhile now

I have to use CPAP, which ties me to some electrical source and limits my ability to camp out in comfort. I figured maybe hammock camping might be the way to go since I could raise my head and shoulders up, helping to keep my airway open. That was before I knew what banana meant and now uncomfortable s cheap net hammock, improperly set up, without a good pad...etc (sigh)- lets say that experience motivated me to learn about hammocking the right way by reading this forum. It was not a good night but it was a good trip and let me be outdoors with my son.
    After beginning my formal hammock education thanks to this forum and youtube I had better information. I built a DIY gathered end hammock and made some whoopie slings to go on it. That was fun and productive and it appealed to the mizer in me. I just had to sleep in it but did not want to repeat the whole struggling to breath without CPAP experience.
    So, I set it up in the basement between two hefty support posts and put my CPAP on a 5 gallon bucket next to the hammock. I was able to sleep on the bias, I used a simple quilt to stay warm, and the CPAP never got hung up or interfered with by the hammock. It was a very positive experience and it assured me that I could at least use non-primitive campsites equipped with electric outlets and still be out in nature a bit.
    My CPAP has a 12 volt adapter connector, so I have considered buying the cord and trying it out with a marine deep cycle battery. I am so smart to be so frugal....uh wait a minute- they are really heavy. Back to the drawing board.
    I can't afford a dedicated camping CPAP or a battery just for that purpose so I am unfortunately limited right now.
    This quandary has helped motivate me to double down on my determination to lose weight- something which may eventually lead to being able to break my dependence on that infernal machine.
    Thanks everybody for sharing your information and expertise- not just in this thread but overall in the forum and on YT. 21 pounds down from my starting weight so far and wondering what took me so long to start feeling better by shedding the weight.
    -Sarge

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL, ThunderBird 1.9 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly & Sock
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The CPAP/BiPAP battery I am familiar with is sold by a company called Philips Respironics.

http://www.respironics.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast