Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Its raining and you need to keep the pack dry.....

.....as you put up your fly.

Okay, been mulling this over for a bit and wondered how I would arrive at a camp site while it is raining and get my fly up, keep the pack dry and then get the hammock up under the fly....keeping everything dry. The part I am having trouble with is the pack. I have considered toting a small piece of webbing in my Ribz front pack to hang around a tree and then clip to the pack's top hangar when arriving at the campsite. Then, remove the fly from my pack that is hanging and proceed to set up. However, I am sure the pack does not stay perfectly dry during this process. This is especially true on the side of the pack that is exposed.

Now take this a few hours into the night and it is still raining. Can't leave the pack on the tree, so it either goes under the tarp or hangs on the end of the hammock, thus messing up the lay.

Any ideas or tricks from others?

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Keep the fly easy to access on top or tied to the bottom.
    Then just reach under your pack cover yank it out and leave you pack in the cover?
    Or just don't care if a bit of water gets on your pack?
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    If you are using a continuous ridgeline on the tarp you could clip the pack under the tarp once it is up. Of course you have to work around it a bit when putting up the hammock, but I believe the slight inconvenience is worth the dry pack/contents. You could also carry a second line to use simply as a hanging/drying line under the tarp without affecting the lay of the hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    If you put your poncho on when it started raining, the only exposure the pack has to rain is the time it takes to get the tarp up. Once the tarp is up, take your poncho off and drape it over the pack, or if its windy, roll the pack up in it once you've got all the neessaries out of it and under the tarp.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i've never found hanging the pack from the hammock to mess up the lay.
    my body is heavier than a 2lb weight of a pack.

get the fly up fast and take shelter underneath. wear your pack while setting up the tarp - or pack cover.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Exactly the reason I like Hammock Camping. First of all I typically will have my Packa ... and deployed if hiking in the rain. My tarp is in the side pocket so I can access it easily without taking anything off. Now I just rig my tarp, stake it out and I'm under a nice big porch and can take my time setting up. I have a ground cloth that I take out to lay my pack on and kneel on till I get stuff out and set up if I need it.

That's why I avoid using a minimal tarp ... I like a nice big one for this very convienence! But to each their own. This is what works for me. I always hated trying to set up a tent in the rain and get in it without soaking the whole inside ... a feat that I found nearly impossible except under the most idea conditions. Now rain is not a deal breaker for me ...

Heck I even carry a small tarp now days when doing trail work or day hiking ... just for the ability to set it up and sit the rain out if I have the time!
    Last edited by Hawk-eye; 06-22-2012 at 01:25.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    How are you keeping the pack dry in the first place? Pack cover? Poncho? Pack liner/trash bag?

Me, I use a poncho. To get my tarp up (even before switching over to my DIY MMP-inspired pack), I would pull my arms inside of the poncho and pull the tarp out of the pack while the pack stayed under the poncho (I kept the tarp in an outside pocket on my old pack, and my new pack doesn't really have an "inside").

Pull the pack back over my shoulders, string the tarp up, stake it down, and then pull the poncho off underneath the tarp. Set the poncho on the ground to act as a groundsheet, place the pack on top of the poncho, and pull out my hammock. I've gone over to a DIY LST, so my insulation and hammock are water resistant enough to put up with being on the ground for a few seconds while I string it up. I get a little wet during this period, but I've yet to figure out a way to stay really dry during long rains while hiking. It's all about temperature management, not staying dry, for me.

Anyway, it works for me. Takes a little practice to get used to pulling stuff out of the pack under the poncho and (especially) putting the pack back on under the poncho, but it's worth it for the ability to stay dry.

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    I use a cuben pack liner and a pack cover I keep my fly in my side pocket just reach under my pack cover and grab the fly and set it up. everything stays pretty dry.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Exactly the reason I like Hammock Camping. First of all I typically will have my Packa ... and deployed if hiking in the rain. My tarp is in the side pocket so I can access it easily without taking anything off. Now I just rig my tarp, stake it out and I'm under a nice big porch and can take my time setting up. I have a ground cloth that I take out to lay my pack on and kneel on till I get stuff out and set up if I need it.

That's why I avoid using a minimal tarp ... I like a nice big one for this very convienence! But to each their own. This is what works for me. I always hated trying to set up a tent in the rain and get in it without soaking the whole inside ... a feat that I found nearly impossible except under the most idea conditions. Now rain is not a deal breaker for me ...

Heck I even carry a small tarp now days when doing trail work or day hiking ... just for the ability to set it up and sit the rain out if I have the time!
    This is exactly what I have envisioned about the packa and just never understood some of the critisisms I've read about needing to remove it to get to your tarp. +1 on the bigger tarp. "Setting up your tarp in the rain" sounds like a great theme for a video challenge.

David

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Way back when in the Sipsey

AngrySparrow showed us Packa users how to take the backpack off without taking off the Packa!
    I never liked anything sizeable in the side pocket of the Packa, it just beat against my thigh as i walked.
    Getting the pack off without removing the Packa is a huge plus.
    My pack is fairly waterproof anyway; besides the criticals are in a cuben stuff sack and everything else can get wet if it wants to.
    So I'd take the tarp out of the pack side pocket, string it up.
    Lately I've been experimenting with a one bag solution using a hammock sock that eliminates the need for a tarp altogether and the need for lines all over creation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast