Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Myke!
    I live in Denver, but just moved here a year ago. Please, feel free to point.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    bedroom ceiling
    Insulation
    a couple blankets
    Suspension
    rope
    Cannibal, have you tried the Lost Elk Wilderness area North of Terryall? There are lots of trails, close to fishing if you choose and some good terrain. Most of the trails are easy enough for a two wheel drive pickup. I used to go there all the time, but have since started camping further south. There do seem to be more people there than when I was a kid, but if you hike back to camp, you're safe. There are some beautiful spots if you're willing to hike a little. And in all my trips I have never been able to find the lost elk. If you don't mind driving, my favorite spot is about 15-20 miles north of Cotapaxi. If you're adventurous you can make it with 2 wheel drive, but I would recommend 4 wheel. And if you haven't gone yet, I highly recommend taking Independence Pass to Aspen. It is pure Colorado, but not a drive for the faint of heart. Next time you are ready to head out, get in touch and I'll meet up with you and show you some areas on a map.
    Myke

Gear Guide 12x12?

Hello everyone, I really enjoyed reading everyones ideas on noob set ups. I was just wondering how many people have tried this tarp http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=254694
    and now good it is. i was also thinking about buying a kelty noah 12x12 http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/noahs-tarp-12/ but it is a bit more expensive. Anyways any input would be great. Thank you. Watty

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    I have read this an only one person mentioned a HH, is this a sign?

I do not have a hammock yet but I am dieing to get one, after research I was planning on going with the Explorer Deluxe from HH (I'm a big guy). I'm a back and side sleeper which is what pointed me to HH.

Are Hennesey Hammocks worth it at all?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, Kasuko!

Yes, HH's are fine hammocks. Light, durable, modifiable, and with good features. A HH is a great way to get into hammock camping.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The Hennessy is not in my view a "newbie" hammock in terms of its price. I own an HH explorer UL and love it. But I would not recommend it to someone who wants to "test the hammock waters" simply because they are fairly pricey. Having said that... my first hammock _was_ an HH Safari and I learned a lot from it. But if you are going to play around with a hammock in the back yard to see if you like it then it makes more sense to me to pick up a Trek Light, ENO or something like that for a third of the cost of an HH.

I was in a fairly unique situation in that if I wanted to conticue camping I had to use a hammock and it really needed to be an HH so it was less of a risk for me. Is the HH worth it... yes it is an excellent hammock and an excellent choice. But to simply experiment and play in the back yard to decide if hammocks are something you want to do... I think it makes sense to save some money in the initial purchase.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    I have read this an only one person mentioned a HH, is this a sign?

I do not have a hammock yet but I am dieing to get one, after research I was planning on going with the Explorer Deluxe from HH (I'm a big guy). I'm a back and side sleeper which is what pointed me to HH.

Are Hennesey Hammocks worth it at all?
    Sure they are! They may not be the cat's meow that they were a couple of years back, but they are very functional hammocks. There are plenty of hammocks that can accomodate your needs and the Hennessys are certainly among them. I have 4 different HH hammocks and I even use a couple of them from time to time. My first camping hammock was a Hennessy and I don't regret it. I'm glad I've moved into bigger and better things, but bigger and better are based totally on an individual's taste.

Have you tried any yet? That's the best way to know which is best for you. Good luck in your quest and welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    I understand, I was planning on renting from MEC the Expidition for a weekend but (recently) I shot up 19 pounds putting me over the weight by 9 pounds. I can't see me not liking them but you may be right. I just got an initial overly negative feeling to Hennessy Hammocks here which was different to what I was feeling on the web.

I have been saving up for a good tent when I was turned on to the hammock camping. So money isn't too bad of an issue as I was planning to spend it just on something else.

I was originally going to do a DIY solution to try it out but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of hammock and I would like to start with a good baseline with the ability to lie flat.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    You can lie flat In a basic DIY gathered end hammock sure it doesn't have the footbox of a blackbird but if you get 10' of 60" wide ripstop when you get on the right diagonal with the right hang its heavenly.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The primary problem which people have with the HH is the bottom entry. For me that is essential and HH is the only one that has it. I have heard the way it lays to be favorably compared to the Warbonnet Blackbird. The Blackbird has other features which the HH lacks but once again I would not call the Blackbird a newbie hammock for the same reason. The Explorer is an excellently made hammock. Do yourself and favor and order the larger tarp. The stock tarp is generally considered rather minimalist and requires a steeper learning curve to use well. You might also consider having the zipper mods done to the bug net to allow a top loading design.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast