Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Bear Mountain Bridge mods/first impressions

Well I recently took possession of a BMBH from Miyanc in a trade and figured I'd post some of my mods and a little review of it. First off, this is my first bridge hammock and I can see why people love them or hate them. It is really like a floating cot. Really flat lay but kinda narrow. The insect netting has been modified to have zippers down both long sides and velcro at the head end. There are ties at the foot end to roll the netting down and tie it off.

So the first thing I did was open up JRB stuff sack into a double ended stuff sack and make a sack for the spreader bars.

Then I made a larger storage pouch for the inside. There was one already included but it's kinda small and I like to just empty my pockets when I’m lounging in the hammock.

Then I opened up the foot end of the pad pocket so I could reach in and pull a pad through instead of only being able to push it. Pushing a pad in worked just fine my CCF pad, but when I tried to add a "Z" fold windshield reflector it just bunched up. Now I have about a 7" wide opening I can stick my hand it to grab the pad and pull it through.

One of the last things I’ve done is add snaps along the length of the velcro at the head end. The velcro seems kinda worn out and will let go with just a little bit of pressure. Now with the snaps holding the corners and middle it stays sealed shut much better.

I've also noticed how much better my underquilts fit on this bridge hammock. My HG Incubator fits like it was made for it. I just hooked the included hooks to the apex rings and secured the shock cord in the slots in the spreader bars. This method holds the quilt very securely.

All in all I'm really happy with this hammock. I haven't got to spend the night in it yet, but have taken a couple of naps. There is a little bit of shoulder squeeze that I think will either just come to feel normal or leave me with sore collar bones in the morning. Only time will tell.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Awesome mods to fit your needs,,and yeppers,,you will adjust to the dash of shoulder squeeze over time..enjoy the hammock and nice sleep it gives you.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Awesome mods to fit your needs,,and yeppers,,you will adjust to the dash of shoulder squeeze over time..enjoy the hammock and nice sleep it gives you.
    thanks, that's good to hear because I really like everything else about this hammock
    -Jon-

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    thanks, that's good to hear because I really like everything else about this hammock
    Yep, for me it has just come to feel like I am laying in my recliner or bed and cross my arms. Kind of like I would do with my arms if I was cold. It is for me actually very comfortable.

But I don't care anyway, because all I have to do is make a small shift to one side- just almost but not quite side sleeping- and all shoulder squeeze issues go away anyway.

And isn't it great how an UQ will work on a bridge hammock, such great gap free fits!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-06-2014 at 10:07.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Great mods. The velcro came as part of the 2qzq mod. It was kind of week but worked fine enough for my son. Although we never put it to the summer bug test. Good job fixing it tho. I am glad its what u wanted. I think it is a trade we would both do again. You diy stuff is top knotch. I can now learn to do my own with you as a model. I am sure my son and or myself will put your to good use.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yep, for me it has just come to feel like I am laying in my recliner or bed and cross my arms. Kind of like I would do with my arms if I was cold. It is for me actually very comfortable.

But I don't acre anyway, because all I have to do is make a small shift t one side- just almost but not quite side sleeping- and all shoulder squeeze issues go away anyway.

And isn't it great how an UQ will work on a bridge hammock, such great gap free fits!
    Yeah, I've noticed that I could shift my posistion to alleviate the pressure on my shoulders, and yes all my quilts fit better on here than any of me other hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Great mods. The velcro came as part of the 2qzq mod. It was kind of week but worked fine enough for my son. Although we never put it to the summer bug test. Good job fixing it tho. I am glad its what u wanted. I think it is a trade we would both do again. You diy stuff is top knotch. I can now learn to do my own with you as a model. I am sure my son and or myself will put your to good use.
    I would totally do this trade over again, and i'm glad to hear you're as happy as I am.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    tttg sb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    hmg cuben
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

closed end mod

I have thought about opening up the foot end of the pad sleeve. I think that being able to reach in and pull a pad would be great.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    work in progress
    Thanks for this tread. I just acquired a similar hammock. I'm finding The strap had tightened up in the tri-glide to a point that I had to go get a screw driver to pry it out. How do you avoid this?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drichi View Post
    I have thought about opening up the foot end of the pad sleeve. I think that being able to reach in and pull a pad would be great.
    I think this is probably one of the best ideas as far as improving this hammock. Especially when using a Zrest or a pad that folds up so easy. It's really hard to get them to slide all the way down without bunching up.

• + New Posts