Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New. Questions about ENO.

Hello all. New here. Never hung before so hammocks are new for me.

I want to buy a hammock to bypass carrying a tent on motorcycle trips. Setup is quicker and easier than a tent.

I looked at the ENO and they look nice and from what I've read here, they're durable too.

I'll prolly end up getting the Double nest. A few questions for you folks:

1) The general consensus was that the Slap Straps ENO sells for suspension were no good. Is this still the case?

2) There are better tarps out there than the one ENO sells? I am looking for a larger tarp. Something that I can park my motorcycle under in case of rain. It's about 7.5" long. Any recommendations? Would I be better off grabbing one from from Walmart?

I have more Q's that escape me right now.

Cheers.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by indrish View Post
    1) The general consensus was that the Slap Straps ENO sells for suspension were no good. Is this still the case?
    Very much so. There are a lot of other easy suspension options, though.

Perhaps either contact Opie for Whoopie Sling and hugger info, or Arrowhead for a buckle and webbing suspension. Both are discussed widely here, and work fine with any ENO.

Quote Originally Posted by indrish View Post
    2) There are better tarps out there than the one ENO sells? I am looking for a larger tarp. Something that I can park my motorcycle under in case of rain. It's about 7.5" long. Any recommendations? Would I be better off grabbing one from from Walmart?
    There are a lot of choices for tarps, and pretty much all of them are better than ENO's.

A WalMart tarp will work, but it's heavy and bulky. If you're in the market for a lightweight silnylon one, you could do much worse than a JRB 11x10.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Chinook makes a huge, good quality, affordable tarp...12x14 if memory serves...plenty of room for you and your scoot.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    JRB 10' x 11' Cat
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Don't know if this helps, but I'm running an Eno Doublenest, with a JRB 10 x 11 tarp. Am in the process of swapping to an all Whoopie Sling set up for both Eno and tarp. And depending on how things are set up, and where you roll yer bike... the JRB Cattarp will cover both hanger and bike pretty well, and both me and my bike are pretty large... 6'4" at 275lbs, and a 2010 HD Road Glide Custom, weighing in at 820lbs, which is one of Harley's biggest bikes.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have the ENO DN(AHE CB/Strap suspension mod) and will use it with a Backwooods Daydreamer Winter Dream tarp. I don't think it would cover the hammock and the bike though. I would recommend one of the cheap tarps from Wal Mart to cover the bike since you are not carryong the load on your back!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    GT UL/HH
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Hideout UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I also use my setup for less weight/room on my bike as well. I have a Bushcraft USA 10x10 tarp. You can't go wrong with the suggestions you have got so far.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I'll prolly end up ordering the whoopie slings. They look easy to work with.

For the tarps, I'll just get a regular hammock tarp and maybe a waterproof cover for the bike.

Cheers.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The problem as I see it with the ENO straps is they just give you about 4 adjustments instead of the unlimited range other methods give you. However, they are super fast to set up and seem really strong although others complain of stretch (I'm not seeing that). When you say "tarp" around here it means something designed to cover a hammock. Wal-Mart doesn't sell these, you really should get one designed for hanging. Also if it's just you don't get the doublenest, that's what I did and I think there is too much fabric, it gets in my way.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    ENOs can have 1 inch poly pro staps with JRB Tri-glides for infinately adjustable knot/lashing free hanging for less weight than the basic stock ENO hammock.

Remove the stock biner,and end cinch rope.... run the JRB strap though the end cord pocket (easy) and back through its own eye.... add JRB Tri-glide...Done....

All one piece, no parts to misplace...To hang, run strap around the tree and back through the Tri-glide, do other end and done...Hang the hammock in under 30 seconds.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    ENOs can have 1 inch poly pro staps with JRB Tri-glides for infinately adjustable knot/lashing free hanging for less weight than the basic stock ENO hammock.

Remove the stock biner,and end cinch rope.... run the JRB strap though the end cord pocket (easy) and back through its own eye.... add JRB Tri-glide...Done....

All one piece, no parts to misplace...To hang, run strap around the tree and back through the Tri-glide, do other end and done...Hang the hammock in under 30 seconds.

Pan
    Do you have any pics of this setup?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast