WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Video: Rainy weekend on Mt. Greylock, Mass.

Due to some other plans falling through, instead of spending a weekend on the Long Trail in Vermont, R3l@x and I decided to stay close to home and test some modified rain gear on Mt. Greylock this past weekend. (Sorry LRR, I will see you next weekend) On our hike up to the summit on Saturday, it rained cats & dogs! We walked thru a trail become stream most of the way. As we got closer and closer to the summit, it rained harder and harder. For a short bit of time, the thunder and lightning were getting pretty close, and even though we tried, we were not successful catching the show on film. Both of my dogs really enjoy hiking, but they were not exactly happy with the soaking downpour. However, they were troopers and had a really nice evening once we got them dried off.

The Raiffnuke Zipper mod that is on both Ponchos, that can be seen in the videos worked really well. They made a huge difference in the comfort level of the ponchos.

We stayed at the Peck’s Brook shelter Saturday night. While we were there a couple that were planning on starting the LT the next day stayed with us. We ended up converting the same guy twice…once, to being a hammock lover, and second, to becoming a dog lover. He was also a budding gear junkie….he couldn’t have spent the evening with two worse people for his budding addiction, me and R3l@x! He ended up dedicating an entire page in his journal to all of the cottage vendors and websites he needs to check out when he gets back from his trip.

The storm abated late Saturday afternoon and we had a thoroughly comfortable night in our hammocks, only to be woken up early Sunday morning by two well rested and playful dogs. So, after calming the pooches down and feeding them, we packed up, had our own breakfasts and headed to back to the top on our way home.

The view was slightly better on Sunday morning, but the low lying clouds/fog had not entirely burned away, leaving the view a little foggy. The rest of the hike out was pretty uneventful, but there were many more hikers out in the better weather.

After getting home, cleaned up, and our gear dried out, we headed back out, this time to Mohawk Trail State Park to spend the evening with the Jersey Bears before they started their trip up the Long Trail. We came bearing gifts courtesy of Sam Adams and had a really great afternoon visiting.

The attached videos are some of the first that I have shot using my new Stick-Pic, and I have not had any experience yet with video editing, so they are kind of rough. They are not very exciting, and I found that I need to talk more! They do show some of the conditions we hiked in and they show the zipper mod in action. I will add some photos when I finish uploading everything.

Thanks for watching.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Looks like a fun trip, Raiffnuke! Sweet puppies--those tails never stopped waggin'!

Thanks for posting!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I was bummed about missing this trip to begin with, these videos just added to my depression lol

I will not miss the next one!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Thanks for the hike along mate!

You can add those short movies into one longer version online if you want to play around. Don't use the 'stabilising' option from YT online editing though. In my experience it is NOT an improvement....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Looks like a fun trip, Raiffnuke! Sweet puppies--those tails never stopped waggin'!

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for watching! My dogs love it when they get to go hiking. It is a non-stop tail wagging fest for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I was bummed about missing this trip to begin with, these videos just added to my depression lol

I will not miss the next one!
    Nelson missed you, he came over and woke me up instead of you!

Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Thanks for the hike along mate!

You can add those short movies into one longer version online if you want to play around. Don't use the 'stabilising' option from YT online editing though. In my experience it is NOT an improvement....

Grtz Johan

Thanks for watching and for the tip. I have just started getting into the video thing. What is the easiest way to combine them?

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I hiked up and over Greylock last year in the same conditions, good time though. This year I'll be starting about 40 miles North and head South to North Adams...cant wait! It's nice to see some east coast vids!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nice NE weather. ;-) I missed the thread about the poncho mods. It looks like zipper in front and sewed the sides?

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Ponchos! Good to see some ponchos in action, great to walk in! Yours seemed to be handling the wind pretty well. Nice camp site and a good little doggy!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    I hiked up and over Greylock last year in the same conditions, good time though. This year I'll be starting about 40 miles North and head South to North Adams...cant wait! It's nice to see some east coast vids!
    Thanks! Give me a shout out when you are headed over this way. Maybe we can get some trail time together.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Nice NE weather. ;-) I missed the thread about the poncho mods. It looks like zipper in front and sewed the sides?
    Oh yes, the always unpredictable NE weather.
    No, I have not posted a specific thread about the mod yet, I wanted to test them first. I added a zipper to the front, but did not do anything to the sides, although sewing them shut is not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Ponchos! Good to see some ponchos in action, great to walk in! Yours seemed to be handling the wind pretty well. Nice camp site and a good little doggy!
    Yes, they are not bad to walk in at all, although someone vertically challenged like I am might step on the bottom when climbing steep rocks.
    Both of my dogs are really good on the trail...I wish I could say the same about when they are at home!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Here are some pictures from our hike:

R3l@x and me in the rain on the hike up Mt. Greylock

A view from near the top of Mt. Greylock of the storm

Me and my Raiffnuke Ponco Zipper mod in the Thunderbolt Shelter close to the summit

Hunter (large dog) and Nelson (small dog) doing what they do best....begging for food!

Me and R3l@x on the summit on the morning of day two

One of the only views on the way down from the mountain

P8110005.jpg
    P8110008.jpg
    P8110009.jpg
    P8120011.jpg
    P8120017.jpg
    P8120019.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast