Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warbonnet quesiton

Looking to buy my first hammock and am leaning towards the warbonnet. I weigh about 195 and do a lot of hiking/backpacking. I'm not sure which one to go with and not really sure the difference between the single and double layer. I like the idea of the footbox and shelf but I want to make sure I make the best possible choice. Thanks in advance, I'm still learning!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    I went with the 1.1 dbl. If you wanting to save a little weight, u mite consider the 1.1 single. I weigh 185 and I'm 5'10". I really enjoy the lay in mine. Never tried the single's or 1.7, someone else will have to chime in.

Images
    how tall are you?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    A single layer is just that a single layer of material. A double layer is two layers with a split in the side so you can slide a pad in between them for insulation. Is this what you were asking?
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by wannahang View Post
    I'm not sure which one to go with and not really sure the difference between the single and double layer. I like the idea of the footbox and shelf but I want to make sure I make the best possible choice. Thanks in advance, I'm still learning!
    They're the same with regards to the shelf and footbox. The difference is that the double accomodates placing a pad or other material between the two bottom layers to keep the pad from moving around much. You might get a slightly flatter lay with your weight at around 200#, but it's negligible.

I'm 5'10. Yes, I wasn't sure what the differences in the single and double layers are and if they were height/weight specific. I am looking for a good hammock system for my height and weight, and something I can use most of the year. I also wanted to know about tarps, does the warbonnet come with a tarp or do you buy that seperatly? I've hear a lot of good things about the Ogee but wanted to make sure before I went out and bought one. Man! There are just so many options!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Tarps are extra and more than one choice. I wanted plenty of coverage, so I went with the super fly. Have you been to the warbonnet site yet. There is lots of information available on all Brandon's products.

Images
    IF you back pack I'd go with the 1.7 single blackbird.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I like to push the limits, and at 185 if I could go back I'd go with the single 1.1. I have a single 1.1 traveler and it does stretch a little, but plenty comfortable. I'd say the 1.7 single if you don't want the stretch. And a 1.1 dbl if you plan on using a pad. But down the line I'm sure you'll get a UQ.

Consider this, if you hike a lot. You'll be tired. Who cares about the stretch. Get a 1.1 single, add some dyna glide whoopies and ridge line to drop it to 18.5oz. Switch out straps and bring it to under 18oz. And tylenol pm makes any hammock even more comfortable, haha.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Agree with Loneoak, see Brandon's site for product details. He has info there about the max load and suggested best "lay flat" weight. If you e-mail him he can also give you a recommendation based upon your weight and how you want to start. The latter may have more to do with whether you will use pads or have underquilts. When I started I had only pads. Brandon recommended a 1.1 DL (double layer) with a similar weight and 6' in height.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast