Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Killarney solo hike- La Cloche Silhouette Trail

Hey guys, I'm trying to plan my first venture into Killarney on foot for early spring this year and could really use some advice if any of you are familiar with the trail.

My plan is really just for an overnight sometime in May, but since I don't know the trail and am fairly new to backpacking in general (long time paddler), I'm not really sure what would be a good distance to cover in a good day of hiking.

So basically... any ideas on site selection for an overnight, whether I should be starting heading west or east, and how far I can expect to make it in a day.

If it helps, I'm 6'4", 30 years old and fairly fit so no problems with my joints just yet to slow me down.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fish; 03-20-2013 at 20:40.
    Coffee?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I know HF members sturgeon, SuperTramp and FrostyDon have done that trail. Try sending them a PM for some info (although it looks like FrostyDon has not posted since last summer)

In terms of a reasonable distance for a day, I'd say 15 km give or take given that I have heard it is quite rocky and it has some challenging terrain. I'm a big guy and walk slow and I can do around 12 km in a day comfortably.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I know HF members sturgeon, SuperTramp and FrostyDon have done that trail. Try sending them a PM for some info (although it looks like FrostyDon has not posted since last summer)

In terms of a reasonable distance for a day, I'd say 15 km give or take given that I have heard it is quite rocky and it has some challenging terrain. I'm a big guy and walk slow and I can do around 12 km in a day comfortably.
    Thanks much, dude! I'll try sending some PMs and see what others think. I'm thinking I'll be able to cover a decent distance also because the park is only about an hour from where I live, so picking up a site permit beforehand is possible. Of course it also means I could get a VERY early start if I wanted to.
    Coffee?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    No problem. A week long Killarney solo trip is on my bucket list. Definitely handy that you live so close. I used to be 3 hours from Algonquin and have done a lot of camping, hiking and backpacking there. Now I am 5 hours from Algonquin which makes it a bit tougher to plan trips.

BTW, the way you titled your thread and having it in this sub forum makes it look like you are trying to plan a group hang. If that's not the case maybe you should ask a moderator to move this thread to the round table off topic sub forum. Just a thought.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ahh yeah thanks for pointing that out, I've changed it up. Also didn't realize it was specific to group hangs, figured "trip planning" best described what I was after. I'll see if I have more luck with the PMs and go from there.

Being 5 hours away is not fun. I don't know of places to camp in London... unless you want to wake up beside the path at Springbank and wave to the distance runners as you make a morning cup of joe :P
    Coffee?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Ahh yeah thanks for pointing that out, I've changed it up.

Being 5 hours away is not fun. I don't know of places to camp in London... unless you want to wake up beside the path at Springbank and wave to the distance runners as you make a morning cup of joe :P
    Lol! You know London? There's no backpacking around here and I'm not interested in stealth camping anywhere on the Bruce trail. At least I can day hike and car camp but for canoe and backpack trips, I always have to go to Algonquin. Part of it is I've been going there for 20 years.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey Fish,

Sounds like a great trip. I used to paddle through Killarney quite often some twenty years ago and it's absolutely beautiful up there. Unfortunatey I can't be of much help on the trails though.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Had a cousin who lived there for years! I actually considered moving to London about 5 or 6 years ago, I was having a hard time finding work local, ended a messy relationship and well, it just seemed like a nice place to be.

Of course I ended up finding work up north before anyone down there called me in for an interview, but I considered it. And during my time off I spent a few weeks there visiting. 20 years! I guess that's about how long I've been paddling Killarney, granted it was with my old man and uncles for the first 8-10 of those years. Still have never been to Algonquin, surprisingly enough. Someday soon maybe I'll make it out for a group hang and make an appearance
    Coffee?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Hey Fish,

Sounds like a great trip. I used to paddle through Killarney quite often some twenty years ago and it's absolutely beautiful up there. Unfortunatey I can't be of much help on the trails though.
    Fingers crossed for a couple of days of sunshine when I manage to get out there. I've done a lot more portaging in that park than hiking the trail as well. Last year was 3 days and 2 nights of solid thunderstorms on Boundary and David and Balsam. Nothing like packing up to move camp in a downpour (but it still beats being at home!)
    Coffee?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    If it's just a night or two, I'd suggest hiking up 'the crack' IMO the best view in the park. Take the trail counter clockwise from George and it is a challenging climb. As for camping sites past there, I don't have a map handy but they tend to book up fairly quickly. I'm sure the park people can give advice but Bubba's 15km limit is a reasonable one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast