DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling

IX underquilt/weathershield for JRB BMBH

This is my attempt at an IX underquilt and weathershield for my bridge hammock. I decided to use the uq plans from the sticky in this forum, but modified it to go the entire length of the hammock. It uses 2-layers of IX instead of 3. I also made a detachable weathershield that covers 95% of the bug net on top. Here they are together:

My main goal was to extend the temp of my setup using my NeoAir pad. I like how the pad widens the hammock, but was worried about the pad's ability to maintain warmth in a hammock at lower temperatures, or when there is cold wind. The uq can surround the entire pad and provides a windbreak on all sides. I was quite comfy outside today at a breezy 34 degs.

Here are some more images:

As you can see, the weathershield does not cover the entire bug net. I could have made it to, but it would've required some additional work, and I wanted some venting anyway to avoid condensation build-up. My main goals with the weathershield were to keep the interior a few degs higher than outside and to reduce drafts. It was a little breezy and chilly outside today, and I was happy to see that the weathershield did, in fact, keep most of the breezes off of me and it seemed to be warmer inside than without it. I have a little bit more IX, and might create an insert to put between the rip stop and bug net for additional insulation, if needed someday.

Overall, I am happy with my first "big" diy project. If I were to make another IX uq like this one, I would deviate a little more from the stickied plans - I would make a greater width variation between the layers to ensure a gap. As mine is right now (built according to the plans), there seems to be no gap between the layers when I am in the hammock. I realize that the stickied plans are for a regular hammock, and that by deviating from them I maybe should have done some things differently to maintain a good gap and maximize the IX insulation. Regardless, I am pretty sure it will still do enough to help keep some warmth in & cold out, so I think this was an educational & successful first project.

Weights:
    2-layer IX UQ - 13.2 oz
    Weathershield - 5.1 oz

Images
    Looking good!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I think this is the perfect application of IX. I use it in much the same way, and when really cold, I pull in the down. I use IX almost all year long just to protect me and hold heat underneath. I then cover it with downy goodness when really cold, but I have the IX (2 layers) wrapped up around me in all directions as a first layer. When really cold I insert something between the layers of the Claytor or the WBBB as well.

I have a TQ of 2 layers of IX that I use in the summer and in the winter with a couple of clips and a ridgeline, it converts to a sock of sorts that does just as you describe by significantly reducing draft while retaining heat. Moisture control is key, I vent as I am a warm sleeper and a tad claustrophobic.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Nice! Looks like it fits well, too. How did you decide on the measurements? (Or is the UQ cut to match the BMBH body?)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    Nice! Looks like it fits well, too. How did you decide on the measurements? (Or is the UQ cut to match the BMBH body?)
    I went with the same measurements as the stickied plans (42" finished width), but changed the length to 78" finished, which basically matches the BMBH body. I decided on these measurements because they about match JRB's quilts, and the neoair is 77" long.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Great work. Looks from the side view that there may be air gaps where the neo pad and IX UQ meet. Any problems with chilly shoulders?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Great work. Looks from the side view that there may be air gaps where the neo pad and IX UQ meet. Any problems with chilly shoulders?
    I didn't notice any cold shoulder problems, but I didn't spend much time with it. The pad spreads out the bridge so my shoulders don't really rest on the sides, but those gaps could let the cold air in/warm air out. I can cinch up the ends to hopefully close those gaps. Thanks for the observation - I'll have to keep that in mind when I do a real test. Maybe this weekend.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    If you do find the gaps let in some cold air you could always whip up draft stoppers or for a quick fix stuff a t-shirt in the space and keep that air out.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Nice job!!!!!!
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts