Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noob Hanger Questions about HH

Hello, After a recent camping trip up in Oklahoma, I decided I don't want to sleep on rocks anymore(The fiance chose to not sleep on top of the pointy rock). So I started looking into hammock camping and found HH. Initially i was going to go with Clark, but prefer the cost of HH. 3 worries though. These are questions about the Expedition ASYM

1. Velcro: The mosquito netting is held shut by velcro, is it secure? I dont want to wake up covered in bites!
    2. Is the rainfly big enough? Looking at it, it seems that near the feet the right angle of rain could soak you?
    3. Ive seen 2 different weight limits: 225 and 250 which is it?

Thanks for any help. I know they must be great hammocks , because so many people use them. I just dont make much money, so I want to make sure its a good product before hand.

edit: Haha normally im very internet/computer savvy, but it seems I have made my user name my email address. Thats what I get for typing fast and mindless.
    Last edited by DarbyFett; 05-27-2007 at 22:02.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hello, After a recent camping trip up in Oklahoma, I decided I don't want to sleep on rocks anymore(The fiance chose to not sleep on top of the pointy rock). So I started looking into hammock camping and found HH. Initially i was going to go with Clark, but prefer the cost of HH. 3 worries though. These are questions about the Expedition ASYM

1. Velcro: The mosquito netting is held shut by velcro, is it secure? I dont want to wake up covered in bites!
    2. Is the rainfly big enough? Looking at it, it seems that near the feet the right angle of rain could soak you?
    3. Ive seen 2 different weight limits: 225 and 250 which is it?

Thanks for any help. I know they must be great hammocks , because so many people use them. I just dont make much money, so I want to make sure its a good product before hand.

The Expedition is a quality hammock. I've owned 2 in the past. Sold both on E-bay and upgraded to the UL Backpacker and Hyperlight models.
    The velcro secures the bottom of the hammock once you are inside. Your weight will naturally secure it shut. You may have to fiddle with it a little to make sure it is sealed up all the way. It is no problem. Works great. Bugs are a non issue. The rainfly works for a few people but most feel it is way too small and upgrade to a bigger tarp. Leaves little room for error in bad weather as you suggest. A bigger tarp gives you more room to dress in privacy,cook, etc. Once you have used or have seen bigger tarps in action, the stock Hennessy tarp looks kinda like hammock floss. There are several nice options to choose from. Search this site. My favorite is the homemade Black Cat tarp.www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir That picture is my tarp. Made for me by BlackBishop.
    I have wondered about the 2 weight limits myself. The Hennessy site always list them as 250lb limit. I've seen some on E-bay that said "Made for Snap-on Tools" that had a 225lb limit as well as others. I think it is an earlier model that had those limits.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 05-27-2007 at 22:18.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Oh yea, welcome to the forum.

Thank you! I look foward to learning more about hammock camping.

I will have to look into the other flys later, as my shift is over and I must be going.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    you might want to look into making your own hammock as well. There are plenty of instructions on how to make them yourself here and elsewhere. I have made plenty, but I also have never tried and hh. I'm an Okie, but live in Arknasas now, and you might be interested in the NTAHA (North Texas Arkansas Hangers Association) WE are planning a fall camp at Lake Texhoma. You can find the thread on here.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Some suggestions that might save you some bucks:
    Make or have someone make a hammock for you. I've never tried but others seem to be kinda addicted to it.
    www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
    E-mail Hennessy and ask for their current demo/clearance list.
    Check E-bay for deals.
    Google Hennessy Hammocks as some companies sell the Expedition for just over $90 at times.
    Call or e-mail Hennesy and ask if you can buy the Hammock without the tarp.
    I have heard they will do this although it is not listed in their site. Should drop the price down some.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FF said it well...

For most people, the hammock slit will pop closed even w/o the velcro.

The HH fly is small, but adequate...I like a bigger one, though. You can buy the HH w/o the fly for a discount, then get whatever aftermarket fly you like. I use the JRB 8x8 and the MacCat Standard.

I can change your username...PM me what you'd like it to be.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I have 3 hh I got directly from him on a second or closeout price of about $125 each with the larger 10x12 hextarp. They are the explorer ultralight asym and are rated for people 6 foot and up to 250 I believe. I am alittle over 6 foot and they work for me. I have looked them all over carefully and can't find any flaws that would make them seconds. They still carry the warranty as a new one would.
    Tom H. and staff are great to deal with and the hammock is well built.
    As others here have said you could also build your own for very little cash and time. Good luck, Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Isn't anyone going to tell about Sgt. Rock's "hurricane" experience with the standard tarp?

Just save the fuss and go get a Cat-cut tarp; you'll be much happier...and drier.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Isn't anyone going to tell about Sgt. Rock's "hurricane" experience with the standard tarp?

Just save the fuss and go get a Cat-cut tarp; you'll be much happier...and drier.
    Come on you were there when he talked about it at TD. It was more of a topical depression. I thought you FL boys didn't even change your plans for those.

Still pretty impressive for a small tarp.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast