WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    I use the same setup except I use a slippery half hitch instead of the line lock. I just make sure that I don't pull all the elasticity out of the shock cord.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    I just rigged my Superfly using this method. I used 3mm cord (had to use what I have) and 3/32" shock cord with mini line loks. I have hung this tarp twice now with the rig and here are a few comments:

>I had to drill out the mini line loks to get the 3mm cord & shock cord through
    the hole in the line lok. Mini Line Loks are rated for 3mm cord, a little ambitious IMO. Most likely should have used the next size up Line Lok.

>This method made for a really easy install, but I am not sure that the tarp is tight enough. I had to crank the shock cord down hard to get a nice pitch. The Superfly is a large tarp..it just seemed to have too much give in the pitch to not have the tarp against the hammock in a strong wind. I am thinking of trying this method without the shock chord.

Overall pretty happy...

It looks like you've got the line-lok installed backwards.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Im not sure why you cant use the line locks in their intended use. Once they are stung up you dont have to do them again just like this set up. Not knocking this set up just saying I think the other way would work fine as well. In the intended use of the line lock there is tension on the line going through the cleats which keeps the line from slipping. I do the same basic thing with my pool cover and it works great. Of course I dont have shock cord or anything like that but it works great. As for the tubing tensioners you could easily tie a loop to the tensioner and put that loop through the line lock and have the same thing as you have with the shock cord. I love all the ideas this forum generates.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I tried this method on a recent trip with some no tangle guyline and it worked well until it started to pour. Once wet, the guylines would slip out of the mini line locks when the tarp was under a lot of tension. Maybe different cordage would work better.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    +1 on that they are backwards in the(Shane's) photo, at least according to the instructions at the HF store. Also, because if you reverse them, the line will have a more gradual bite and then lock more firmly into the V shaped teeth inside the lok.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieb View Post
    +1 on that they are backwards in the(Shane's) photo, at least according to the instructions at the HF store. Also, because if you reverse them, the line will have a more gradual bite and then lock more firmly into the V shaped teeth inside the lok.
    Nice thing about the LineLoc is that there is no "backwards" if you thread the thing correctly. I understand that my application does not match the documentation for the LineLocs, but, for me and the application I was looking for, having the LineLocs set up as in my photos work perfectly for me. QUICK adjustability at the fly instead of along the line or at the ground. I have yet to have the 2.2 ZingIt slip using the method I described above. YMMV. HYOH!
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Nice thing about the LineLoc is that there is no "backwards" if you thread the thing correctly. I understand that my application does not match the documentation for the LineLocs, but, for me and the application I was looking for, having the LineLocs set up as in my photos work perfectly for me. QUICK adjustability at the fly instead of along the line or at the ground. I have yet to have the 2.2 ZingIt slip using the method I described above. YMMV. HYOH!

They are designed to have the tension come from a certain direction, the teeth and taper are designed that way. The line is more likely to slip in the direction you are pulling. I don't see what benefit could come of it.

All good to know, Shane --that it doesn't slip and especially with 2.2mm.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    They are designed to have the tension come from a certain direction, the teeth and taper are designed that way. The line is more likely to slip in the direction you are pulling. I don't see what benefit could come of it.
    While you are probably technically correct the benefit would be that he can use a shorter line as he is not creating a long loop. Using it the way it was designed would require twice the length of line for the same amount of adjustment. The second benefit to the way Shane is using it is that he keeps the LineLoc stationary in the position he wants it in. HYOH YMMV.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast