Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images

Sleeping bag entry

Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    Are you standing in your bag already when you get in, or is the bag and pad in the HH when you get in, and you get in it from inside the hammock. I would prefer a system that didn't have me standing on the ground in my sleeping bag. Perhaps a ground sheet like tyvek, could be used, I guess
    I've tried both methods with my BE - standing on ground is pretty simple and works, but you need a ground cloth of some kind (in rain/damp weather this can be an issue in keeping items dry).
    The key is to get the sleeping bag and pad laid out correctly inside the BE hammock prior to entering (especially at night). This takes a little trial and error learn, but this is how I usually do it because it keeps things cleaner and once you figure it out it is easier to get in/out for the 2AM pee break.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Before I got my down UQ I used a pad. I would put the pad in an SPE so I had shoulder pads. On the SPE I had attached a few strips of foam to keep it from sliding. Then I would put the SPE w/pad into the position I wanted in my HH BE. Then I would get in and squirm it into position assuming it had slipped a bit. I would then pull my TQ in over me and tuck my feet into it. My pad was only a 3/4 pad with CCF wings on it.

Edited to add:
    I would suggest you learn to use the HH stock suspension first. I have heard too many stories of how changing out the suspension changed the lay of the hammock. Of course, if you can not stand the stock suspension, then by all means, it's your gear...change it

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Edited to add:
    I would suggest you learn to use the HH stock suspension first. I have heard too many stories of how changing out the suspension changed the lay of the hammock. Of course, if you can not stand the stock suspension, then by all means, it's your gear...change it
    I'm confused by this....when I changed my stock HH suspension to amsteel continuous loops and whoopies, I attached the amsteel to the exact same location on the gathered end of the hammock - and used the same gathered end connection knot as the HH stock suspension. The ridgeline length and attachment was untouched. I think this is typical situation for most people that swap the stock suspension... if so, I don't understand how changing the HH suspension can affect the lay of the hammock. Am I missing something?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I would like to not change the stock suspension if I can avoid it, but I am just spoiled with the ease of adjustment of the whoopies. Having to untie and retie seems a little PITA to me, but I wonder if I will get better at dialing it in from the go better, with more practice, that I won't have to adjust really
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    I'm confused by this....when I changed my stock HH suspension to amsteel continuous loops and whoopies, I attached the amsteel to the exact same location on the gathered end of the hammock - and used the same gathered end connection knot as the HH stock suspension. The ridgeline length and attachment was untouched. I think this is typical situation for most people that swap the stock suspension... if so, I don't understand how changing the HH suspension can affect the lay of the hammock. Am I missing something?
    Glad it worked for you.

If you send emails to some of the folks selling their HH where they changed out suspension more than one will tell you they did not like the lay and did not want to change back to the stock suspension. I went through that when I was looking to purchase used which decided me to go to HH and purchases new at their fall sale.

Now how they did or did not set up the new suspension is obviously open to discussion so..............buyer and change out folks just need to be advised of what it can or can not do for them.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I sleep on a pad with no problem using a bottom entry. Sit on it and lean back.. Usually sleep on my back in the hammock, never in a bed. Go figure.

One of the poorest moves I see here is telling folks to remove the stock suspension. If you have to use something else tie in a rappel ring at each end to serve as a drip ring and attachment point. I tried whoopee slings and find them wanting. Straps work better. I can live with a couple ounce difference.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    Are you standing in your bag already when you get in, or is the bag and pad in the HH when you get in, and you get in it from inside the hammock. I would prefer a system that didn't have me standing on the ground in my sleeping bag. Perhaps a ground sheet like tyvek, could be used, I guess
    Sorry for the really late reply. I have the bag in the hammock, at the angle that I sleep with. I usually unzip it down to about a foot from the end. I make sure it's adjusted properly, then sit down and lean back. I pull my feet in and move them over to the right and put them in the sleeping bag. I did try the standing up in your sleeping bag with a different hammock, and agree, it wasn't the ideal solution for me. I have found that my Safari Deluxe is like sleeping in a Cadillac. Plenty of room, and when I roll over on my side it's like sleeping on a cloud.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I use a Hyperlite, and yes it's a shorter hammock. I'm 5'11 and find the comfort acceptable. All of my HH tend to like a < 30 degree hang angle to be the most comfortable. It does take a bit of experimenting to find the best hang angle and proper lay in the hammock.

Personally I use a midshipmans hitch with a double or triple wrap on the stock lines (both on the Expedition (large) and Hyperlite (small) spectra cords. It adds adjustability to the suspension without any mods/additional expense.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip and I used a ccf pad with it. I eventually installed whoopies, but could never eliminate calf ridge pressure and cramps. Since moving to simple gathered end hammocks, I haven't had a cramp or calf ridge since.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I changed the stock suspension on my HH hyperlite to whoopies. I was hoping it would save weight (it didn't, not by more than an ounce, anyhow), but it does make adjustment easier. It's an easy switch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12