Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images

Easy IX top quilt

OK, attached is a video of what I doubt is a very original idea, but if nothing else its new to me. Not the concept of differentially sized layers of IX, but of building it inside out like a stuff sack, turn it right side out, then just finish the one end with a rolled hem. Sew a channel on the foot box for a draw string and voila quick and dirty top quilt. I suppose you could even turn the rolled hem end into the draw string channel? What I really wonder is, if you scaled this up to full size is just one inch difference between the IX layers enough, or does it really need some darts or something to give more gap between the layers? Open to suggestions.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Wouldn't you need to make the bottom layer of nylon as long as the bottom layer of IX? Otherwise you are squishing the IX back down and not leaving the proper gaps. Never worked with IX but just my initial thoughts.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I'm not sure I can picture what you're saying, the IX is all the same length, just diff. widths. The nylon is only longer to make the hem easier, except for the bulk, you could have all layers the same length. I too have limited experience with IX, but as far as I can tell it's only prevented form "lofting" along the perimeter. I appreciate your input, but can you perhaps elaborate on your theory?
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Lofty idea

I think what PackEagle was saying was when you first explained the widths of the layers, the nylon was 6, the first layer of IX was 6, the next 7 and the next 8. If both of your nylon layers were 6, then you lose the ability for loft because both sides of the nylon are the same width. Now if the nylon stretches enough to allow some loft of the IX you may be fine, but if one layer of nylon was 6 and the other was 8 and the wider piece was on the side away from your body, it might provide for more loft. Sorry PE if I'm incorrectly speaking on your behalf.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm sure Mac or one of the other IXperts will chime in... but until then...

As I understand IX from my experience, the trick is to create gaps between the layers so it traps a small amount of air.... By making the outside layer longer, and then trapping it in a smaller nylon shell, it will force it to wrinkle. That makes sense from a capturing air perspective. The only issue is it's not controlled or even....

I was thinking of sewing either small pleats down the length or width of the TQ, using the bulk of the IX to prevent the layers from touching... Sorta like:

This would force a small gap between the layers, and it would be evenly spread out...

The only concern I would have with an IX TQ is condensation...

If you wanted to make it more comfortable, I made a simple TQ and used a really lightweight fleece on the inside. It's really comfortable. Of course, that adds some weight over 1.1 nylon...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoseley7 View Post
    I think what PackEagle was saying was when you first explained the widths of the layers, the nylon was 6, the first layer of IX was 6, the next 7 and the next 8. If both of your nylon layers were 6, then you lose the ability for loft because both sides of the nylon are the same width. Now if the nylon stretches enough to allow some loft of the IX you may be fine, but if one layer of nylon was 6 and the other was 8 and the wider piece was on the side away from your body, it might provide for more loft. Sorry PE if I'm incorrectly speaking on your behalf.
    I'm thinking along the lines of JohnSawyer, in that the wider IX in a narrow shell will force it to wrinkle. Maybe all the layers should be wider than the shell?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I'm sure Mac or one of the other IXperts will chime in... but until then...

As I understand IX from my experience, the trick is to create gaps between the layers so it traps a small amount of air.... By making the outside layer longer, and then trapping it in a smaller nylon shell, it will force it to wrinkle. That makes sense from a capturing air perspective. The only issue is it's not controlled or even....

I was thinking of sewing either small pleats down the length or width of the TQ, using the bulk of the IX to prevent the layers from touching... Sorta like:

This would force a small gap between the layers, and it would be evenly spread out...

The only concern I would have with an IX TQ is condensation...

If you wanted to make it more comfortable, I made a simple TQ and used a really lightweight fleece on the inside. It's really comfortable. Of course, that adds some weight over 1.1 nylon...
    Good point about the layers not being controlled or even, I hadn't thought of that. Guess I was hoping that just a bunch of random wrinkles would equal even heat
    I've been cautioned by Canoebie that IX as a TQ can feel a bit clammy, so I was planning on having fleece as the "against the body" layer.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    pretty much the same thing i did only i made mine with 2 layers of IX ....
    i'm going to give it a test run this weekend since the weather will be right for it
    i'll let you know how mine worked out
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I agree with PE.
    When sewing, the bottom layer of nylon should be the same width as the top layer of IX. Then when it is turned right-side out, you'll have the correct width nylon on each side and the nylon won't squish the IX together and defeat the purpose of the differential sizing of the IX layers.

I have a batch of IX on the way and will be making IX TQs later this week, or next. So I've been thinking of TQ design considerations for IX a lot.

I'm planning to use 1.1 RS on the non-body facing side, and a softer non-RS on the body facing side.
    I'll also roll in the corners at the foot end in and join them to make an insulated, drawstring vented footbox/foot-tube.

Not sure if I'll use the inside-out construction method in the video, as I think it will be pretty hard to do a rolled hem on the edges of the cover fabrics if sewn as shown in the video. I want rolled hems to help protect against the seam fraying and separating. Also not sure how the part of the IX and nylon outside of the seam will fold in and lie once the whole thing is turned right-side out. I'm envisioning a potential uncomfortable lump along that seam once turned right-side out.
    I like the creative approach, just not sure it will produce the type of edge that I want.

Also, great timing on John Sawyer's comment about making a pleat that runs the length of the TQ to force a small air gap between layers. I've been thinking of doing just that. Should be pretty easy to fold the IX along the long axis (from head to toe) and run a stitch 1/4" from the fold to force a small air gap. Using outer most layer would have no pleats. Next layer would have 2 to 4 pleats (not sure how much width reduction is needed from layer to layer. I'm thinking that 2" should work on a 50" wide TQ, but haven't tested yet). If additional layers are added, then each will have more pleats than the layer above it. I'm thinking mine will be only 2 layers of IX.
    The differential width method seems to work fine on UQs, but they are hanging, so gravity isn't really working against the design. I wonder if gravity will collapse the upper layers in to the lower layers in a TQ.

The last thing is that I plan to use a fleece TQ between me and the IX TQ.
    I've heard that IX doesn't drape well, so sealing out drafts can be challenging with a TQ. Adding a layer of fleece should help with this, and reduce the clammy feeling as well. I think that having the fleece separate from the TQ will allow it to drape more freely and seal against drafts/air gaps better than if the fleece were the body-facing covering on the IX (instead of nylon).

Just my $0.02
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    OK, I see where you guys are coming from now, thanks for the clarification.
    On my little model there seems to be minimally a small gap between all layers, and some gaps as large as a half inch where some of the bigger wrinkles are. I do however see the value in JohnSawers approach with the full length pleats.
    Mac's "insultubes" might be the way to go too?

Definitely let us know how that works out G.L.P.

I just made an IX UQ to Sclittlefields design and made a removable fleece layer, but I did that mostly for compression/stuffing considerations. And I would like a TQ with removable fleece also for the same reasons but it may be more work than its worth? I'm just not sure what I'll do with the fleece layer?

Thanx for the input... keep it coming.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I just received a big box of goodies from BWDD, including some IX.
    This weekend, I am going to make a double layer IX top quilt.
    Both top and bottom layers will have small folds that are sewn after pinching the fabric together, running from head to toe, about 7" apart. The top row will be offset from the bottom row such that there will be about 3-1/2" spacing between the folds when you put the top and bottom layers together. The sewn folds in each layer will face the opposite layer, creating the "space" between the layers.

I will post a tutorial with pictures this weekend.

I am a gram weenie backpacker, so I will not be covering the IX at all. It will have a draw string footbox.

I will take it on it's maiden voyage the following weekend on the Florida's Swamp Runners HammockForum hike
    Last edited by MAD777; 03-02-2011 at 08:08.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast