Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I have the line/tree strap option, and I love it. Here is one pic of many. ... hitchcraft minis incorporated into the suspension,
    The link to your suspension pic didn't work for me. However if it is in your gallery pics I think I found the one you were referring to. I've come across the Hitchcraft device before somewhere. Looks like a nice product. I've also seen somewhere another somewhat similar device , the name of which I don't recall . Looks sort of like a large T with the ends of the top cross piece turning down a bit.

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post
    Lori,
    Let us know how the BB works out during your weekend outing. If I remember from other post here I think you've only had the BB a short time.

Why would I want to change the suspension system?
    Well there are a few reasons I thought it might be a good option. Not yet having seen first hand most of the designs available I wasn't sure if all have the ability to change the suspension or only some of them.

One reason would be to permit me to switch to a lighter system if backpacking rather than getting to the camp site by using a weight bearing vehicle of some type.
    I got the line/strap suspension of the Blackbird. It's a few ounces lighter. But on that model, the straps would function the same - still got the rings. Those three or four ounces would not break anyone's back.

The Hennessy relies on rope passed through straps (or biners) then wrapped in figure 8s around itself. The rope was sticky enough to hold without a knot every time I used it. The rope with shorter straps is very likely lighter than the suspension on the Blackbird, but to adjust you have to take the whole thing apart and rewrap the "knot". There are a few reasons I switched, but this one is near the top of the list. I'd rather have the functionality than save five ounces.

Another would be just to try something new.
    That sounds to me like an invitation to a new hammock for the collection.

One of my other interest is folding kayaks. Some folks like to buy the most expensive ones where everything about it is top quality. All the parts the best the maker could design. Other folks prefer to buy folders which are on the whole a good quality frame and skin and good hull shape with excellent handling and paddling speed but the seat and back brace etc. are rather cheaply made. Which is fine with them since they will tear it out and replace those items with their own favorite setup anyway. And they saved money buying a kayak with less money in these acccessory parts. I've got four of five of these things - so I have some from both schools of thought.

David
    I think you will find that hammocks and kayaks are not a lot alike. Seems to me it's easier just to throw together a DIY hammock to experiment with, like so many have done. You can't build a kayak to experiment with, without a lot of expertise. I can throw together a hammock with a length of nylon from the dollar bin and a straight stitch, whip the ends, add a ridgeline and go crazy on the suspension options, trick that baby out without possibly wrecking the resale value of the Hennessy.

I will take pictures of the hammock this weekend. Even if I'm rained/snowed out of the original plan, there's always the city park.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I have both suspensions, and it takes about 5 min to change btwn them.
    I think WBG said 80-90% chose the strap suspension.
    BigD,
    Five minutes to change sounds reasonable. If I understand the BB system the suspension is attached to the hammock end by gathering fabric at the ends. This is then wrapped round with line and finished with a cow hitch, larks head , whatever name you prefer, I think they are all the same hitch by a different name. Then the line runs out to make the connection to the tree.

Other hammocks I think have a channel sewn into the end of the fabric through which a line or strap it run. It maybe that it is just as fast to wind line around as it would be to fish a different line through a sewn in channel in the fabric. Maybe there are other ways of attachment.

Boy Scout, farmer, sailor, owner of one of the must have books about knots, The Ashley Book of Knots, and many other knot books and one time member of the Knot Tiers Guild , I'm pretty comfortable with different types of knots. So I think it will not be a problem for me.

Thanks,
    David

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the fabric is dwr

as for ground, it goes to ground as easy as any of them. ...

most go for a double, it's a tossup as to which one as it's based alot on bodyweight, send me an email telling me your weight and i'll tell you your best couple options. cannibal is spot on, around 200# is the point where you will start to see an advantage in flatness by going with the dl1.7 ...

the suspensions can be switched out rather easily if you know how. .. however, 95% go for the adj webbing susp.
    WBG,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm about 5'7" , 175#. So 1.1 oz. would probably work OK for me. As mentioned previously I get to day dream more about getting to take long hikes than I have time/energy to actually go wherein lighter weight would be an advantage. So maybe just going ahead and getting a more durable fabric version would be the way to go. Might make it easier to sell too if I ever wanted to.

I tried to find the post where I read it but can't seem to find it again without going through them all again. I read one of the threads here where they spoke about having a hammock made with a mix of both weights of fabric. I have a few questions about that.
    1) When/why would you recommend that option? Or maybe its just an option that is requested more than recommended.

2) is there an extra charge for that custom build?

3) one person who responded in that thread, wherein the question was whether to have the 1.1. or the 1.7 as the top layer, replied that having the 1.7 as the top layer would be best because it would feel better to the touch. Do the two fabrics have a weave or something that makes them feel softer or some other difference to the touch? If so then that might be something else to consider in making a decision about which wt fabric or order.

4) I think I would prefer a double layer hammock. I guess only experience hanging would tell me if it is worth putting a pad inside or if its real advantage lays mostly in the hammock just having less stretch. If I have understood it correctly the pad pocket is about 64" wide. Double the width of a typical large pad.

5) This last question is really just to satisfy my curiosity about pricing of the two different wt of fabric which seems the wrong way round. So no worries if you decline to answer this one.

Why are products made from 1.1 oz fabric more expensive than the same product made in a heavier fabric such as 1.7 or 1.5 oz ? It would seem the heavier fabric ought to be the more expensive.

I first noticed this when looking at cookecustomsewing Tundra tarps. They have a 10'x10' tarp. For 1.1 wt it cost $150 , same size in 1.5 wt is $100. Then I notice a similar price inversion for your hammocks. 1.1 wt cost $10 more that same model in 1.7 wt. A much smaller difference for sure but still the lighter wt cost more.

I emailed cooke and asked but never received a reply. Is it something as simple as larger production of the heavier fabric leaves it costing less? Or is it that the lighter fabric requires more sewing of reinforcements to make it durable ? Or folks just willing to pay more for a lighter product. Or some other reason? Being a maker of products out of these materials I thought you might be willing to provide some insight to this mystery.

Anyway , your hammocks certainly are getting good reviews and worthy of my serious consideration. I am getting more anxious to give hammocking a try for overnight sleeping. When I was 23 and crew on a submarine I could crash out anywhere on a steel deck and sleep no problem. Now at 57 the ground feels much harder than a steel deck. So finding comfortable good nights sleep will help me get out into the woods more often and not leave me feeling beat and wishing I'd stayed home. Thus my interest in giving hammock camping a try.

David

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    WBG,
    Anyway , your hammocks certainly are getting good reviews and worthy of my serious consideration. I am getting more anxious to give hammocking a try for overnight sleeping. When I was 23 and crew on a submarine I could crash out anywhere on a steel deck and sleep no problem. Now at 57 the ground feels much harder than a steel deck. So finding comfortable good nights sleep will help me get out into the woods more often and not leave me feeling beat and wishing I'd stayed home. Thus my interest in giving hammock camping a try.
    David
    That paragraph says it all. That there is your reason to just go ahead and jump into hanging and never look back! You will be comfortable in the woods. What else is there?
    All Secure,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post

The link to your suspension pic didn't work for me. However if it is in your gallery pics I think I found the one you were referring to. I've come across the Hitchcraft device before somewhere. Looks like a nice product. I've also seen somewhere another somewhat similar device , the name of which I don't recall . Looks sort of like a large T with the ends of the top cross piece turning down a bit.

David
    Changed the link to a post with many pics.

The hitchcraft devices are so easy to use. And hitchcraft is also a member here.

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Here come the hate mails.

Is the seatbelt webbing really comparable to the webbing used on the BBs? I ask only because I prefer black to camo. <Cannibal quickly ducks the flying shoes!>
    The Best thing I have found about this Forum is (other than the great feed back to any question)
    I have yet to see any one get BLAZED for there opinion,it truly shows the love and caring you all have for this community

I thank you all for the time and patience I and others have received.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sir White Wolf View Post
    The Best thing I have found about this Forum is (other than the great feed back to any question)
    I have yet to see any one get BLAZED for there opinion,it truly shows the love and caring you all have for this community

I thank you all for the time and patience I and others have received.
    I completely agree. I haven't posted much because almost every question I've thought of I've found the answer on here. But reading through hundreds and hundreds of posts I've found that this forum is one of the most civil I've ever been on and I'm a true forum junky.

I'm about to order a Blackbird as my first hammock also but still have a lot of the same questions that the original poster is asking. DavidWa is saving me a lot of typing.

So hurry up and answer his questions you all!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...to hang is to go hermit at the edges if you can hang at all.
    Best description of "stealth hanging" I've read!

Also, thank you for your service, submariner!

I was mate on a surface vessel that worked with submarines far offshore, doing secret things related to sonar. Our vessel was unique (and lucky) in that it was hit by a submarine, and sustained zero damage! (The sub lost everything on top of the tower, radar, antennae, etc.) Fortunately, the periscope missed us... it would certainly have sunk our ship.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    david,
    @175#, a double layer 1.1 would be plenty for you, i've made a few combos, i charge the double1.1 price. you won't get much of a difference in lay by going heavier than the dl1.1 not at you're weight.

the 1.7 is a little slicker material since it's taffeta rather than ripstop, some think it's feels a little better against the skin, but it's not much difference.

the lighter fabrics are more expensive for me too, don't know why, it's harder to weave i think, they're also less common. the 1.1 is parachute grade as well so that adds to the price some too. these have different weaves (taffeta vs ripstop) ripstop is usually a little more expensive as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast