Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight vs. Clark Jungle North American

I know this seems crazy, but I am an ultra light packer and am considering a North American (3lbs. 2 oz) over a HH Hyperlite (1 lb. 10 oz).

Why? Because of the insulating gear pockets on the North American which I assume means I don't need to bring an extra sleeping pad and/or quilt. (Maybe even sleeping bag also???) Also, the North American seems like it is more durable, comfortable and weather proof.

Does what I am saying make sense for a 3 (occasionally 4) season setup?
    Any other advice comparing these two or another hammock?

Thanks in advance to all you hammock experts out there!

Ariel

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    IMO, no it doesn't make sense. I'm also ultralight and have tried just about every Hennessy ever made and the Clark.

The pockets by themselves don't add any insulation so you still need something to put inside there. I also didn't care much for the lay of a Clark.

I suggest you look at a Hennessy Deep Jungle that has the pocket under it so you could add whatever into that for insulation.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ArielTRV View Post
    I know this seems crazy, but I am an ultra light packer and am considering a North American (3lbs. 2 oz) over a HH Hyperlite (1 lb. 10 oz).

Why? Because of the insulating gear pockets on the North American which I assume means I don't need to bring an extra sleeping pad and/or quilt. (Maybe even sleeping bag also???) Also, the North American seems like it is more durable, comfortable and weather proof.

Does what I am saying make sense for a 3 (occasionally 4) season setup?
    Any other advice comparing these two or another hammock?

Thanks in advance to all you hammock experts out there!

Ariel
    I know the Clark NA is listed as a 4 season hammock and I'm guessing that's part of the reasoning you're using to compair these two hammocks. But to actually be able to use the Clark NA you'll need to add bottom insulation either by putting something inside those pockets (and something under your feet) or by disreguarding the under pockets and just using a pad or an under quilt.
    So if I'm understanding you right, you're thinking that the Clark would be lighter in the long run because it's already got the insulation and you'd have to add that to the HH. The pockets just make it easier to add some kind of insulation ... insulation that you still need to carry.
    As far as the comfort factor between these two hammocks, you will need to test them and see which one you like. The durability will probably depend on how you treat them. I've got the Clark, it's extreamly well made with very nice skeeter proof material for the main hammock body. I don't know about the HH, someone else will need to speak for them. And weatherproof will probably depend on how well you learn to set the tarp. Any hammock can get wet if you set the tarp wrong or a big storm rolls in and you're set up in breezy mode!!
    On a side note, I've got the Clark Tropical. A very diffinate 3 season (ok, maybe it's a 2 season) hammock that I use year round. I've even camped out last year in the snow and around 20 degrees. What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to have a "4 season" hammock to be able to camp all 4 seasons. Ya just gotta use the right insulation!!! And maybe the right tarp too also helps.

TinaLouise

Tina is right but you also can not disregard the weathershield on the NA. Zipping it closed does hold heat in and does add a few degrees inside even if it is just from blocking the wind.

From reading this on junglehammock.com I got the feeling that I did not need to put anything in the pockets?

"How do the Clark North American’s Insulating Pockets work?
    Clark's patented pocket design locks in a stable air mass below you to deflect cold air that would otherwise cool the hammock material below your back. When you add a high quality sleeping bag, you can avoid having to buy cumbersome insulating pads and liners."

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Don't believe the hype. You need to put something down there.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Images
    From reading this on junglehammock.com I got the feeling that I did not need to put anything in the pockets?

Clark's patented pocket design locks in a stable air mass below you to deflect cold air that would otherwise cool the hammock material below your back. When you add a high quality sleeping bag, you can avoid having to buy cumbersome insulating pads and liners."
    It might get you a few degrees compared to nothing, Kind of like some folks say a HH sil-nylon UC, all by itself, adds 5 or 10*F. So, I'm guessing instead of being a bit cool at 75 or 70, maybe you could do 65 or even 60. But I think at 40 or maybe even 50, your going to need something in those pockets. But what do I know, I've never tried it.

The HH Hyperlight and an HH Supershelter weighs 2 lb 10 oz.
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs...pad_small.html

It would work great for me to low 40s, probably OK to at least low 30s. Just for one example of many approaches that would work.

Another: A WB 3 season Yeti (11.5 oz) plus HH Hyper = 2 lb 5.5 oz, good to 30s. PLus a few oz for a leg pad, but you probably have a sit pad with you any way, or use your pack. There are several other lightweight possibilities. ( Then, with both of the above, when it is quite warm leave it all behind and save the weight!)

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I have noticed in warm weather my back is a little warm,
    I'm thinking with no pockets it would be a little cooler,
    kinda like the Tropical has a couple of pockets at each end
    and would likely be cooler.

Not sure yet what temp. I would go to with M/T pockets . . .

I have just ordered the Z-Liners
    and will as time goes on I will give reports using and not using them.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The only place I've ever seen anyone claim that the Clark is 20F hammock by itself is on the Clark website. I've never heard anyone claim personal experience a Clark near that temp without additional insulation.

YMMV, of course...but there are a lot of Clark users here, and winter hammockers here, and I have a strong feeling that if that claim could be validated we'd have independent evidence of it by now.

Or maybe I just haven't been keeping up...if I'm mistaken, someone please point me in the right direction.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

One of my friends has the NA another has a Tropical like mine. When we camp together, the NA user uses less insulation than we Tropical's do. During the summer, all of us will use nothing on the bottom. I've gotten inside the NA in the summer and was way to warm!! So those under pockets are holding in some heat. But not enough to keep you warm when the temps start dropping in the fall. And in the winter, you will need added insulation. At that point, you're not just using those pockets to "deflect cold air" but you also have the "real" air temps to deal with. The "weathershield" on the Clark works the same way. It deflects the wind and keeps some of your body heat inside the hammock.
    What Clark is writing in their ad is correct but also misleading.

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast