WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    I shipped a box with 24 yards of wally fabric, the huge bug net, and a bunch of ropes to Mike V and the NY State School for the Deaf yesterday (Fri 1/29) afternoon.

A bit heavy, so I went with the cheapest parcel post rate. They said it would take 7-10 days. Pl advise when it arrives.
    GREAT! Thanks. Ill let you know when we get it. Im making up a poster to put up at the school including instructions to make a hemmed rectangle out of ripstop in case teachers or school staff want to sew at home and give it to us to complete the hammock.

By the way, Just stopped at wally world to see if I could find any ripstop. nada.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    i just ordered the GI mosquito netting from ebay and sent to the PO box address. i tried to from a arm navy store online but i couldn't use a different billing and shipping address. i then found a little better deal with shipping counted in on ebay (more expensive product+less shipping=less overall cost)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

An inspiring story out of Haiti.

As most of you know, my in-laws were in the Dominican Republic two weeks ago. While on the return flight my sister in-law sat next to a gentleman from New York who was involved with the aid efforts in Haiti. He had some great and some sad stories.
    This one caught my attention:

"Once in Haiti, we encountered a little boy (5 or 6?), who explained he had lost his entire family, in the quake. The little boy was arguing with the border patrol guard. 'I want to get the DR', the boy tried to explain to the guard. Without money and ID, the guard would not let the boy thru. In tears the boy shared his story with this gentleman from New York. The man stated he felt so bad for the boy, and gave him $100 dollars, and a tent and wished the boy well.

The little boy seized the moment and made a break for the border, dodging guards on the way. 'In moves that would make an NFL running back proud', he zigged and zagged and lept onto a moving truck bound for freedom and the Dominican Republic."

I wish him well.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Great story, gargoyle!

I just finished four child-size hammocks and will get them in the mail tomorrow, but I thought I'd post some pics of how I did the ends as an option to consider. It's a quick way to secure the gathered ends and simultaneously provide a loop attachment point for hanging the hammock.

Basically, it's some tubular polypro webbing with a sewn loop at one end and the other end secured in a double sheet bend around the folded back gathered end of the hammock. Pics are attached. Note the folded over tab on the webbing end, to keep it from inadvertently slipping out.

I've hung this way in the (now distant) past and it's quite secure. I've got more webbing on hand from my pre-UCR hanging days and can make more straps if it would help anyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Thanks frawg, pics and rigging look good. If anyone needs straps, pm the frawg.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I think what's needed is a sponsor, to donate the materials necessary for the diyers that want to do some sewing for this project. maybe have some advertising logos or such on the hammocks and such .....

btw, is this for indoor or outdoor use?
    I know they want bug netting
    but do they need tarps as well?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    I just finished four child-size hammocks ...
    Frawg, what size did you make them?

Thing1 and I are just about to cut and sew 60" wide fabric... should they be 6' long, or 7' long?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I think what's needed is a sponsor, to donate the materials necessary for the diyers that want to do some sewing for this project. maybe have some advertising logos or such on the hammocks and such .....

btw, is this for indoor or outdoor use?
    I know they want bug netting
    but do they need tarps as well?
    spidey, mostly outdoor use, the locals in Haiti are nervous about going into their buildings. Or are not allowed to enter, for safeties sake.
    Tarps are on the list, and yes they need lots of things, just trying to help where we can. Even cheap blue tarps are good. (beats sleeping in the rain)
    Sponsorship would be great, help with shipping cost, fabric buys, supplies, but most folks are already giving at work, church, Red Cross, etc.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Thing1 made two hammocks for Haiti today. One is toddler sized, and one is child sized.

Frawg, I think we're going to go with 5'X6' for child size hammocks. It saves us from having to cut it twice. They have a wonderful diagonal! It's the same effect as a 8'X12' hammock for big people. Thing1 lay in it while my son and I suspended it. It's a nice hammock!

We're using your double sheet bend webbing on the ends. It takes 20" of webbing on each end.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Frawg, I think we're going to go with 5'X6' for child size hammocks. It saves us from having to cut it twice. They have a wonderful diagonal! It's the same effect as a 8'X12' hammock for big people. Thing1 lay in it while my son and I suspended it. It's a nice hammock!
    I like that; saves labor and I'll bet they could put two youngsters in one together, which might be nice for orphaned siblings. I may well do that on any more I make.

We're using your double sheet bend webbing on the ends. It takes 20" of webbing on each end.
    Glad it proved useful. I had to use 22" - 24" of the heavier tubular stuff.

I fit 6 with some room to spare into a medium size flat rate Priority Mail box; could possibly fit as many as 12 in one, packed up real tight, but I don't have that much material. Gotta get some clear tape and print up the postage, then into the mail with 'em tomorrow. It's not much, but I guess every little bit helps and it's better that this fabric find good use.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast