Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

hugger slips a little in the night...

My HH support line used to slip every night, before I started using hardware. I have been using figure nines, now switching to rings. No slippage during the night... until earlier this week.

Turned out it was the tree huggers! Each one slipped just a tiny bit, a couple of times during the night. You could just make out the slippage marks on the bark. It was a cold, dry night. The trees were not smooth barked, but rather tough and hard. Sorta puzzling that the huggers would slip at all. Anybody ever have this happen?

I lost one of my original Hennessey tree huggers. Now I use a pair of one inch Eno huggers with multiple loops spaced out along one end. Using the loops, they are never cinched tight to the tree.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Are those the slap straps? If so they are nylon and susceptible to stretching. Get rid of those and buy some webbing from Ed Speer and make your own straps. Check his clearance page for deals on webbing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    My HH support line used to slip every night, before I started using hardware. I have been using figure nines, now switching to rings. No slippage during the night... until earlier this week.

Turned out it was the tree huggers! Each one slipped just a tiny bit, a couple of times during the night. You could just make out the slippage marks on the bark. It was a cold, dry night. The trees were not smooth barked, but rather tough and hard. Sorta puzzling that the huggers would slip at all. Anybody ever have this happen?

I lost one of my original Hennessey tree huggers. Now I use a pair of one inch Eno huggers with multiple loops spaced out along one end. Using the loops, they are never cinched tight to the tree.
    The only times I have noticed peoples tree huggers slipping under load was when the tree they were tied to was angle away from them. When the tree is angled away from you it causes the webbing to want to roll downward when you load the hammock. Having the webbing cinched and wrapped all the way around the tree helps with that.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    YB:
    The only times I have noticed peoples tree huggers slipping under load was when the tree they were tied to was angle away from them. When the tree is angled away from you it causes the webbing to want to roll downward when you load the hammock. Having the webbing cinched and wrapped all the way around the tree helps with that.
    I remember a couple of times when I first started hammmocking being woke up in the night when I would suddenly drop an inch or so. This would be accompanied by a noise, and I think it was the noise that actually woke me up. I never knew if it was the knots slipping or the huggers slipping on the tree, or something else. This was with my HHEXPUL and stock tree huggers, and it only happened the couple of times I tried to sleep in my front yard hanging from the same two trees.

One way to cinch the hugger around the tree is to put one loop through the other, as opposed to running the hugger more than once around the tree. But is this safe? IOW, used as recommended by HH, you run the rope through both loops and make the HH knot. What about running the rope through just one loop and making your knot around that? Would that be strong enough?

I know many of us use one loop and a biner all the time with our cinch/ring buckles and such. But not with stock HH huggers. Can anyone think of any reason why this would not be OK with ( attaching to just one loop) with the HH huggers?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    One way to cinch the hugger around the tree is to put one loop through the other, as opposed to running the hugger more than once around the tree. But is this safe? IOW, used as recommended by HH, you run the rope through both loops and make the HH knot. What about running the rope through just one loop and making your knot around that? Would that be strong enough?
    BillyBob, your concerns are valid. A lot of the things we do doesn't look particularly safe, but we get by with it... at least for a while. It often gets to be a tough call, balancing safety with convenience, cost, weight, etc. Just for a start, the stock Hennessy system of running abrasive, small diameter rope through loops in webbing isn't without it's issue. And structural ridgelines attached to those thin ropes where people retighten the hammock suspension lines using higher tension to raise their hammocks instead of just tying them higher... and it goes on and on with this and that in the things we do.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BB - I've hung that way several times. I run the hugger thru itself to girth it to the tree, then run the cord thru twice so I have a better loop to make the lashing with, then just do the normal lashing. As Dave says, it works but your concerns are valid. The only problem I've noticed is the one many folks have already posted here about...the loop on the tree huggers starts to wear. One set of huggers actually has a bit of fray on that loop from the cord. Is it from hanging like this, or just from the normal abrasion of running the cord thru? Both, I'm sure. Not quite time to retire this hugger yet, but I keep an eye on it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Jeff, I'm sold on your idea of cutting the HH suspension line a little less than a foot from the hammock, with two rings lashed on each end. With the excess suspension line permanently lashed to the huggers, there will be very little chafe at that point.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you use a biner on the hugger, there will be almost no chafe. If you don't use a biner, you'll still have to run the line thru the other loop on the hugger to get it around the tree.

That wasn't my idea, btw...I just stole it from one of the forums.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Yeah, I plan to use a biner on each hugger. Being an old sailor, I'm always on a mission to eliminate chafe.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    I mostly use biners with whatever suspension these days. I'm still using my original ( a little over 2 years) stock HH huggers, which have been used both with and without biners. So far so good, wear looks OK.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast