Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Thanks guys, keep up the good work. It is very much appreciated. This is my favorite place to be !!!

Images
    Doesn't the word 'gift' mean no money is needed. Why would paypal even have a gift option? That's odd...

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Let me add #4, it's easier for the seller to hit a button and print a label.
    And #5, there is no way the address can be messed up.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Doesn't the word 'gift' mean no money is needed. Why would paypal even have a gift option? That's odd...
    That's like when grandmothers send birthday money to their grandchildren, or food money to college kids. It's not in return for a good or service...it's a gift.

We don't do much of that on HF...and none of it happens in the For Sale subforum, which is why it's prohibited.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Ah. That makes sense. Didn't think about the money being the gift. Always wondered what that was all about.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I also find it distasteful when I see sellers also asking for the buyer to pay the PayPal fees. I view offering PayPal and the associated fees as a cost of doing business. I also account for that in the price I either charge or accept for any given item.
    I disagree. Most FS threads is not about businesses, it's people selling their excess gear either because they don't need it anymore or to salvage a few bucks if you got something wrong. If you're clear in the ad about adding the fees into the price, it is nothing different from asking to add the shipping costs. You should be upfront with it though.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Semantics, really - if you do it up front, it's already included in the price whether you break it out in the post or not.

As long as you don't list the terms, and then ask the buyer to pay the fees AFTER they've agreed to the listed price.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    I disagree. Most FS threads is not about businesses, it's people selling their excess gear either because they don't need it anymore or to salvage a few bucks if you got something wrong. If you're clear in the ad about adding the fees into the price, it is nothing different from asking to add the shipping costs. You should be upfront with it though.
    Refer back to post #12 in this thread, which quotes the PayPal User Agreement.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    I agree.

I also find it distasteful when I see sellers also asking for the buyer to pay the PayPal fees. I view offering PayPal and the associated fees as a cost of doing business. I also account for that in the price I either charge or accept for any given item.

Cheers

Brian
    I just read the PayPal user agreement. The part where, seller pays cost.

Maybe a "Sticky" on "Selling Etiquette on HF." could by added. A policy of "Seller pays PayPal fees" be added.
    Last edited by OneThing; 12-19-2012 at 13:27. Reason: Re-Read PayPal policy and some post here...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Refer back to post #12 in this thread, which quotes the PayPal User Agreement.

Cheers

Brian
    When there's a transaction between two individuals, neither of which is conducting a business, I think it's perfectly fair to say "I don't want to pay money for the fact that you are paying me money for this item I'm selling, so I'll include the fees for making the transaction easy in the price". Then the total will add up to more or less than what anyone is willing to pay, and decisions will be taken accordingly. As justjeff said: semantics - claiming it afterwards is not right. But I think it's cleaner to state that paypal fees are in the price. I have done it all the time on other forums, to me it's nothing strange.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast