Dutch Chameleon, Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Yeah, I tend to do "fake coughs" now and then to give some warning. Sometimes even a whistle or clap. I was actually heading down to Monogahela area this weekend, but decided to change my plans for a shorter drive.
    I always used to see bears in Otter Creek. I miss that area.

While on a solo outing,I slid back into some rocks for a primitive night ( no gear,or shelter.)Not long after settling in,I hear a noise in the leaves very near me,soon I not only heard something,I felt something.Glancing down,there crawling from between my legs,and up around my crotch was a pretty nice copperhead.The snake circled my crotch,slid back around my back,and once again back out from between my legs before crawling off.I decided to find a new sleeping spot after that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafer View Post
    While on a solo outing,I slid back into some rocks for a primitive night ( no gear,or shelter.)Not long after settling in,I hear a noise in the leaves very near me,soon I not only heard something,I felt something.Glancing down,there crawling from between my legs,and up around my crotch was a pretty nice copperhead.The snake circled my crotch,slid back around my back,and once again back out from between my legs before crawling off.I decided to find a new sleeping spot after that.
    This would be it for me. Dead man found between rocks ... How did you not move?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG Camo
    Insulation
    HG EE LLG
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by tnaratil View Post
    I had my go pro out but I left the case on with all the excitement. It cant pick up any sounds with the case on. I will definitely look it a voice recorder. Do you recommend any economy based models that perform well?

One night we car camped in Weiser State Forest and heard Fisher Cats. They legitimately sound like a woman being murdered, we sat listening trying to figure out if I should go investigate in the middle of the night. Luckily google informed me that it was likely a Fisher Cat.
    I've had good luck with Olympus brand recorders like this

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN-72...audio+recorder

you just need one with long battery life and ideally an SD card or at least a usb connector.

And try to avoid using white light when you can. It has been thought that they might not like flashlights.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafer View Post
    No Way I could've remained still during that encounter!!!! wow, I would have sounded like a Fisher Cat and my screams would possibly have been another member's scariest moment in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This would be it for me. Dead man found between rocks ... How did you not move?
    I was bitten by a copperhead on the right butt cheek years ago,I tried to move before it got me,but something about squatting on a snake turns out to be a bad thing.I figured I couldn't outrun a copperhead when I was younger,I durn sure couldn't outrun one at my less than youthful age.I admit though,a copperhead crawling around my crotch gave me a serious pucker factor.

Probably not my scariest moment in the woods, but something happened recently that left me perplexed....

Recently I got back into riding a bicycle and decided to load up my camping gear on the bike and head down the road and try some camping off the bike. There's a creek that runs about a block from my house, and there are a ton of places to setup a hammock along a creek.....anyways, I picked a spot that was across from a large factory (they are quiet on midnight shift) since the trail down from the road wasn't terribly steep for a loaded bike.

After setting up my gear for the night, I kept seeing the faintest of lights all around me but never closer than 25' or so..... when I first saw one, I assumed it was a firefly. But they were so dim (even at those distances) and the light would be illuminated for about 15-20 seconds and moving in very slow "swirl" motions. I should also mention that it was pretty chilly out when I saw the lights - much cooler than what firelflies are normally found.

Whatever they were, I'm convinced that they weren't animals (single light source & self illuminating). And I've never seen a lightening bug like that. One of life's little mysteries I suppose.....

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Tiny UFO's for sure!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGR Rich View Post
    Probably not my scariest moment in the woods, but something happened recently that left me perplexed....

Recently I got back into riding a bicycle and decided to load up my camping gear on the bike and head down the road and try some camping off the bike. There's a creek that runs about a block from my house, and there are a ton of places to setup a hammock along a creek.....anyways, I picked a spot that was across from a large factory (they are quiet on midnight shift) since the trail down from the road wasn't terribly steep for a loaded bike.

After setting up my gear for the night, I kept seeing the faintest of lights all around me but never closer than 25' or so..... when I first saw one, I assumed it was a firefly. But they were so dim (even at those distances) and the light would be illuminated for about 15-20 seconds and moving in very slow "swirl" motions. I should also mention that it was pretty chilly out when I saw the lights - much cooler than what firelflies are normally found.

Whatever they were, I'm convinced that they weren't animals (single light source & self illuminating). And I've never seen a lightening bug like that. One of life's little mysteries I suppose.....
    I saw something very similar on a trip to Cloudland Canyon in NW GA earlier this year, springtime, and before firefly season. I had no clue what they were. It was a little unsettling, because of that "unknown" factor but very interesting.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    saw something like described above. small little lights. We dont get that many fireflies here in Florida. The next time i saw it, i ran towards it with my flashlight. Ended up being a beetle with 2 little bio luminescent spots on its back. Looked it up on the google machine. Think it was called a click beetle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast