Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need some help

I am really wanting to try out this whole hammocking thing. I have read a lot about it from the web and you guys on the forums. I am about 6'0 and 275 pounds. what would be a good and inexpensive hammock for me to start out in. Thanks guys for the help

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Welcome, Bignick. The hammock is just about the cheapest part of the total formula, so don't skimp there. You can't go wroing with a Warbonnet Blackbird--its a kind of standard. Brandon makes them to order, he'll have one for your weight, and if you really don't like it later, you'll have no trouble selling it. Look in the companies forums. About $170. Then hang on...you want this and that and the other thing... Good luck. Sailor

ok thanks man. i am also wondering if i can buy everything i need together as one package?

I just looked at the hennessey explorer deluxe. it seems like it would be a good one to start with and it comes with a tarp and all the rigging. It would hold up to 300 pounds. Which would be a better buy, this one or the blackbird

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    That's a tough question. A lot comes down to personal taste and it's like asking which car is better

I have a Hennessy and like it a lot. I now use a Nano-7 hammock which is great but I have not tried a blackbird. Lots of people like them though.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hey Nick welcome. If you want everything, it wont be "cheap". We have lots of great members here that have created a hammock business. Warbonnetguy at warbonnet outdoors, is a great place to start. He has a full line of tarps , hammocks, uq.
    The jacks (JRB) also have a full line of products. Theres probably an ad in your computer (check the top right of the page, jacks are better).

For me I went the do it yourself route. Cruise the web and here and take notes of things you like. Bugnet, bottom-entry, size of tarp, tempatures you'll be encountering,etc. Just things that are important to you. Hammocks are personal things, not all things work for all people. Come up with a budget (LAUGH), we all go crazy buying too much gear.

Being a bigger guy myself, I've hung in the cheapest hammock I could find years ago. A less than $20 hammock on clearance at a local sports store (didnt know much about hammocks then, had to change suspensions and fight with the stretchy material, but it worked and IT HELD). That led me here and the $journey$ began.

For a small investment, you can DIY a set up if you can find cheap fabric, if you sew.?? I didn't but I learned. Or buy used, throw a question out there, that you want to buy, some ocd hammock folks have more than twenty hammocks. (I won't mention any names, you know who you are!, if you can pry them from their hands.??)

Being from TN, you have lots of peeps nearby and might be able to make it to a hang or get together to see some other gear.

Cheapest set-up: walmart tarp your choice of sizes. $15-40.
    walmart kalisto hammock (not available everywhere) $15
    old sleeping bag and blankets, that you already have.
    some rope and string for tarp. $10
    treestraps (ratchet straps work fine, loose the ratchet)$15

Comfort, warmth, and protection from rain might be an issue with that setup, but it is somewhere to start. So that will lead to buying more and better stuff, it is a vicious cycle, Nick...run now while you have a chance....no really..I mean it...run too late your already hooked.
    So you can buy cheap or buy quality comfortable stuff. Cheap and hammock parted ways a long time ago, in my opinion. welcome.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Newbie Hammock Setups is a sticky you should check out...

Welcome!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Thanks guys for the help. The reason i was wanting to go "cheap" is because i dont want to make a huge investment in a setup and then hate it after two times out on the trail. I was thinking about a diy but i dont know if i could trust myself. My little bro is a marine and they make them for fun so i might try one of theirs out. anyways i will keep you guys posted on what i do. keep the help coming im sure i will need it

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    The ENO hammocks are a great, inexpensive hammock. Other than that... all my other gear has come from members here on HF.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Yeti, BBO, KAQ
    Suspension
    Climbers/w/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bignick2112 View Post
    I am really wanting to try out this whole hammocking thing. I have read a lot about it from the web and you guys on the forums. I am about 6'0 and 275 pounds. what would be a good and inexpensive hammock for me to start out in. Thanks guys for the help
    Hello,

Seems we are about the same size....I am new to hanging, do motorcycle touring and motorcycle rallies and camping as well.... I went with the Warbonnet BB, double layer.... and the MacCat tarp....

While my gear is stored in NW Alabama in my truck.... I do live part time here in Chattanooga (Ooltewah).

I like the On Rope 1 store in Harrison, for some added webbing and buckles...

Be glad to show you my stuff, we can hang her up and give it a try...
    "Oh Lord I pray, let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast