Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Made me a couple today out of Vectrus. Really easy!!!!
    Thanks for the terrific instructions Slo-Bro....

Sling Shug

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ...SloBro showed many of us the light with those instructions and pics....

Grizz
    I'm glad folks have found the instructions useful. I really want to thank ZA206, TeeDee, Frawg, nacra533, hangnout and many more who first worked on this idea here at HF. And I really appreciate the kind words from Shug and Grizz whose past video's were part of my inspiration to attempt a tutorial. Thanks.

Hammock Forums Rocks!
    (or Swings)
    (or at least Sways In The Breeze)
    Last edited by SlowBro; 08-24-2009 at 20:26.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Bamboo would be my guess.
    Correct! Searching for larger diameter bamboo. Plan to make a toggle that can double as a stake case and hold the other toggle. Sealed with some polyurethane to prevent absorption of moisture and the splitting that happens during the drying should make a very durable, light case & toggle.

Does the free end of the line work as an effective drip line?
    Noel V.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Correct! Searching for larger diameter bamboo. Plan to make a toggle that can double as a stake case and hold the other toggle. Sealed with some polyurethane to prevent absorption of moisture and the splitting that happens during the drying should make a very durable, light case & toggle.

Does the free end of the line work as an effective drip line?
    I recently used mine in Colorado during 2 nights of heavy rain and the free ends as the only drip strips and they worked perfectly. Nary a drop made it past.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Hey, if you guys look at the pic above you will see my finger pointing to an overhand knot. I seem to notice the end sticking out of my overhand knot seems to be getting smaller as the overhand slides down to the larks head where it connects the whoppie to the hammock, possible causing the whole system to fail. have i done something wrong? look above for pic, thanks.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Hey, if you guys look at the pic above you will see my finger pointing to an overhand knot. I seem to notice the end sticking out of my overhand knot seems to be getting smaller as the overhand slides down to the larks head where it connects the whoppie to the hammock, possible causing the whole system to fail. have i done something wrong? look above for pic, thanks.
    I looked at the picture but I don't understand it. I'm guessing the lightest color line is the ridgeline loop. Then there are two colors of line. In my set up I have only one line (at the end of the whoopie sling), not two.

I don't understand where the overhand knot came from or what it's purpose is. I don't understand why there are two different colored lines coming off where I'd expect only one line.

?

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post

My interpretation is that the grey line is your ridge line and the blue Amsteel is the non-adjustable end of the whoopie sling fixed to the hammock. It looks like two different colors of blue, but that's probably just the lighting?

Anyway, if the end of the line is shortening then your knot must be slipping. Find a way to reattach the line to the hammock that's more secure. I'm sure others can tell you what worked for them. I put a fixed woopie on my HH, but the HH has holes burnt into the end of the fabric which allows a different method of attaching the line.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    ah, Knotty has the interpretation on the rope colors thing. A flash was used in the picture and it discolors one strand.

OK I think I have it. Perhaps you threaded a single strand of your suspension cord through the black fabric loop and then the sliver loop and secured it with an overhead knot. Not what I would do---good luck getting that overhand knot undone after it has been loaded. But supposing that's what you did, then that knot cinching down on the structural ridgeline---the sliver line---won't matter so long as the suspension loop stays tied that way. It might.

What the original BB does, and so correspondingly what I did when I modified my BB, is to tie a loop in the end of the suspension cord (mine is bowline, I don't recall what the BB originally had), and then push the loop through the black fabric loop and the sliver ridgeline loop, and now that the suspension loop has been pushed through, bring the other end of the suspension cord through it. Just what is shown in those 1.2.3. pictures I put up some posts ago.

Grizz

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    On the whoopies I've built, I put the closed (locked) eye around the hammock fabric, just inside the whipped bundle. Ran the long adjustable end thru the closed eye twice around the fabric, like a normal prussick knot. The smaller your closed eye is, the better this works. If your closed eye is to big, redo it so it is smaller (tighter). The long adjustable end can then be ran to the toggle on the webbing. I'm considering tying the prussick down with a whipping twine to keep it in place when there is no load on the whoopie, (i.e., when packing or setting up.)
    The closed eye needs to be big enough to be able to accept the adjustable end, but tight enough to bite down when the prussick is pulled tight. About an inch opening in the eye worked for me.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    now that I understand what you've got tied there I re-read what you said.

It seems to me that your suspension line IS slipping through the overhand knot under load, and that ain't good.

Best thing to do is to untie it---likely you'll need a sharp pointy instrument to undo that overhand. A marlin spike is exactly what you want, but likely you don't have one. Be careful, you don't want to damage the cord (at least if the placement of the whoopie sling bury is, say, less than a foot from that overhand knot. If it IS farther away you will be able to deal with any cord damage by just by cutting at the damaged place).

Now start over, by putting a loop in the end of the suspension cord. My loop is 2-3 inches in length. Follow the earlier 1.2.3 pictures, or do what gargoyle suggests.

Grizz

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    i did copy what u showed me in the 123, but origionally did not see a bowline in the 123 pics, gonna go back and add one tommorow. Dih! I get it now, i copied your setup exactly except instead of a bowline, i tied a sliding overhand knot, half shoelace kinda knot. I was so excited to get it right lol, i messed up. At least i have never fallen yet, as a result of user error. Thanks grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast