Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    Ember
    Suspension
    Slap straps

Newbe qu: What's the purpose of the Toggle?

Title says it all. I have seen the "stick" toggle used to connect tree webbing to the support lines of hammocks and tarps but am not sure of the purpose of it. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    It's part of the knot, to make it untie easily and quickly. Many use a marlinspike hitch, and the toggle is the 'spike'.

This will link you to a video of the hitch being tied.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I could be wrong but I think helps to avoid having too much webbing to string contact that could wear either down over time.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Toggles really speed up setting a hammock to suspension, especially if you use a Whoopie Sling. I used to use a small stake, but now I use mini carabiners as toggles -- the carabiners aren't strong enough to load weight, but as a toggle, they are fine. The clip also adds a no-slip factor I like.

I don't tie a knot, just slip the toggle through the loop on the webbing. Works great.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Toggles really speed up setting a hammock to suspension, especially if you use a Whoopie Sling. I used to use a small stake, but now I use mini carabiners as toggles -- the carabiners aren't strong enough to load weight, but as a toggle, they are fine. The clip also adds a no-slip factor I like.

I don't tie a knot, just slip the toggle through the loop on the webbing. Works great.

Dejoha, I know its simple but your mini caribiner Ideah for toggles is great, never would of though of it and you cant loose them. Im def using this ideah, thanks. I was going to use two aluminum toggles but I already lost one just useing it on a test hang in front of my apt. and figured their is no way I wouldent loose these in the woods. If you need to shorten your tree straps, have you tied a marlin spike hitch useing the mini biners?
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Marlin spike hitch ... and you can put your toggle anywhere along the strap you need it. You can make your toggle in the field out of a sound piece of wood. Easy to do. Your whoopie needs to shoulder the knot and not be directly on the toggle for maximum strength. Reference Shug's great set of videos or Grizz's video's on suspensions Part III. Lots to learn there and some good video in the process.
    Last edited by Hawk-eye; 06-17-2010 at 14:20.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    dejoha thanks for the great detailed picture--stealing the mini caribiner idea.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Dejoha that sure is ingenuous! Great out of the box thinking.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Dejoha, I know its simple but your mini caribiner Ideah for toggles is great, never would of though of it and you cant loose them. Im def using this ideah, thanks. I was going to use two aluminum toggles but I already lost one just useing it on a test hang in front of my apt. and figured their is no way I wouldent loose these in the woods. If you need to shorten your tree straps, have you tied a marlin spike hitch useing the mini biners?
    Thanks all -- I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it, but it has worked for me. I've used simple toggles, as seen in my picture, but like you lazy river, I've lost them and they slip easily. I keep the mini 'biners clipped to my straps, so it keeps everything together. Clipping the 'biners through the whoopie sling also gives me an additional safety feature where the sling won't slip off side-to-side.

I don't mess with knots any more. I have several ways I shorten my straps to accommodate varying lengths. Maybe one of these days I'll draw another illustration that focuses on straps You know the basics: single-, double-, triple-wrap around a tree; looped through a carabiner; looped through the webbing eye; overhand knot, etc.

Adjustment is also available thanks to the whoopie slings. I've found with a good combination of strap length and whoopie slings, that I've been able to accommodate for most situations. Lately, I've been carrying a second pair of straps (long ones) for some areas where the trees are HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by goodcaver View Post
    dejoha thanks for the great detailed picture--stealing the mini caribiner idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Dejoha that sure is ingenuous! Great out of the box thinking.
    You're welcome!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I went out and bought mini biners todays, weight them in comparison to AHE toggles. The toggles were 3.5g the biners were 8g. I was able to easily tie a marlin spike hitch useing the biner. I just tied the knot and sliped the biner over the loop and pulled, worked like a charm. Also good Idea on wrapping around the tree more then once over hand knot etc. I like the clip to woopie sling ideah for extra safty to preven slipage as well. Thanks for the Ideahs, 8g toggles are better then 3.5 lost toggles IMHO
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast