DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH

First Solo Hang on the Chattooga

Although the location of my site at the Hot Springs, NC, hang probably qualified as a solo hang, I decided that I wanted to do a solo hang at Burrell's Ford Campground on the Chattooga river. I can't hike like some of you can, so walking in to the campground was just the right amount of walk for me with a pack. On a Thursday night the place was empty. I did hear evidence of people a ways off, but only saw one person go by. There was supposed to be an 80% chance of rain but I figured since I have a circus tent-sized tarp I would be O.K. There was a nice hanging spot right below me on the bank of the river but I was afraid the water would rise if we had heavy rains, so I set up higher.

I've definately got to get a sling shot to be able to hang my food. It took 4 tries to get my rope up and over! My Sawyer Sqeeze set up as an in-line filter worked perfectly. It filtered amazingly fast. No bear or critter encounters.

I did get cold at about 4:00a.m. and I shouldn't have. With the top and bottom quilts I should have been fine, plus I was sleeping in fleece top and bottoms. It wasn't a cold butt kind of thing, just an all over type of chill. I wish I knew what the low was that night, but my thermomator is currently misplaced.

Anyway, I had a wonderfully relaxing night, lulled to sleep by the river. The picture isn't great, but, as you say, "pics or it didn't happen."

Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY cat wintertarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    sounds like a great trip! i've been meaning to do some research on places in the area for great solo trips (well..for me and my dog). maybe i'll check out Burrells Ford!

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Looks like you've scoped out the pre-halloween spot. Do they have any sites there with electricity? That area is beautiful. I kayaked parts of that river with some friends on a COLD new years day many moons ago and would love to get back to it to enjoy it- off duty this time. Going there for drownings is really a bummer and should be avoided unless you have to.
    "Live your life so that your children can tell their children that you not only stood for something wonderful- you acted on it"
    -Dan Zadra

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sounds like a peaceful trip. Only 4 tries with the bear bag? I'd better start practicing!

That is a nice sized tarp. Sometimes I think it's just our metabolism on a given day that makes us cold (or hot). Glad you had fun!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Gotta love the sound of the rain on a tarp! Good that you got out!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good for you! Always a fine thing to get some "You" time alone in the pineys.
    Hey...have you thought about an Ursack http://ursack.com for food. No throwing. just tie it off on a tree and good-night Boo-Boo.
    As to the chill....sometimes that just seems to happen around that time of morn'. All the calories have been burned off and it is the chilliest time fro around 4 to 6.
    when I get up to pee in the wee hours I tend to slip on an extra shirt or even pants so as to ward of the creeping-chill. Sometimes it happens...sometimes not. Are you wearing a hat? That surely helps.
    Carry forth....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Resqsarge03, there is no electricity that I know of there. I went south from the parking lot. The other Chattooga hangs have been north and are a little further. I need to go back out and check out that area.

Shug, no hat--next time!. I had a light-weight windshield reflector I was using on the ground to lay things on which I could have put in the hammock but it was dirty and I didn't want to deal with it at 3:00a.m. I guess I wasn't cold enough.

This is where I was:
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Glad you had a good time. I'm looking forward to the group hang.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    This is where I was:
    Hey GrannyPat, I just got that app. I see you are making good use of it!
    I might upgrade to the full SpyGlass version because it sounds pretty geeky and that sounds like me
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Although the location of my site at the Hot Springs, NC, hang probably qualified as a solo hang, I decided that I wanted to do a solo hang at Burrell's Ford Campground on the Chattooga river. I can't hike like some of you can, so walking in to the campground was just the right amount of walk for me with a pack. On a Thursday night the place was empty. I did hear evidence of people a ways off, but only saw one person go by. There was supposed to be an 80% chance of rain but I figured since I have a circus tent-sized tarp I would be O.K. There was a nice hanging spot right below me on the bank of the river but I was afraid the water would rise if we had heavy rains, so I set up higher.

I've definately got to get a sling shot to be able to hang my food. It took 4 tries to get my rope up and over! My Sawyer Sqeeze set up as an in-line filter worked perfectly. It filtered amazingly fast. No bear or critter encounters.

I did get cold at about 4:00a.m. and I shouldn't have. With the top and bottom quilts I should have been fine, plus I was sleeping in fleece top and bottoms. It wasn't a cold butt kind of thing, just an all over type of chill. I wish I knew what the low was that night, but my thermomator is currently misplaced.

Anyway, I had a wonderfully relaxing night, lulled to sleep by the river. The picture isn't great, but, as you say, "pics or it didn't happen."

GP, aren't you glad I wasn't driving. NO telling where you might have ended up!!!
    Cheers and glad you had a great trip.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast