Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by floorman View Post
    Looks good and innovated idea. Just wondering if having the floor touching the ground adds warmth? I'm thinking not letting air move under as well as the ground would be warmer that the air may help. Any thoughts.
    Thank-you floorman. The floor touching the ground is only for changing clothes and for storing stuff - thats originally why I made it with a waterproof bottom. The funny thing is that I have no condensation with the floor on the ground and I have a good 15* increase in inside temps. When I pull up the sides and bottom to snug it up around the hammock, I start to get condensation when it gets below 25*. Above 25 and it's fine. Also the walls go way above my ridgeline - over 12" - so it could be due to the huge volume of air thats trapped.

It's a puzzle to be sure. I tried a regular sock a couple nights ago and I had much more condensation - it was made from DWR material also - it was also form fitting and the walls only went up about 6" above my ridgeline. Both socks definitely trapped heat - anywhere from 10 to 20*.

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    The sock is creating a dead air space below the hammock, so it is certainly helping to retain heat that way. However once the ground freezes I would imagine that there may be a sudden appearance of frost in the bottom of the sock as water vapor within the sock would then condense and freeze on the bottom. Just my hypothesis on the situation. Would be interesting to find out extended use results.
    Thanks Catavarie. Thats the thing - there's a huge amount of dead air space due to the sock size. I am curious about how it will perform in snow. It already is frosting heavily here in Indiana and With the sock bottom touching the ground, I have no condensation. Now when I have the bottom pulled up to form fit the hammock - then I get condensation started, but not a huge amount.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    The sock is creating a dead air space below the hammock, so it is certainly helping to retain heat that way. However once the ground freezes I would imagine that there may be a sudden appearance of frost in the bottom of the sock as water vapor within the sock would then condense and freeze on the bottom. Just my hypothesis on the situation. Would be interesting to find out extended use results.
    My thinking is that the air, when the temps fall at night should be colder than the ground and therefore the ground temperature should give some increase to the temperature inside the sock. I have only used a sock once and did't have any condensation, but it seems to me that most of your condensation would be closer to the source and therefore be more toward the top of the sock not the bottom.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by floorman View Post
    My thinking is that the air, when the temps fall at night should be colder than the ground and therefore the ground temperature should give some increase to the temperature inside the sock. I have only used a sock once and did't have any condensation, but it seems to me that most of your condensation would be closer to the source and therefore be more toward the top of the sock not the bottom.

Had heavy frost this A.M. I used a bib in front of my face and pulled up the sides that left about 2 inches of space from the bottom of the hammock. NO condensation in the sock, but the bib was saturated. I'm going to use the bib and not worry anymore. Was 23 outside and 40 inside - at 3 A.M. When I got up at 5:30 it was still 40* inside the sock. I watched the steam burn off the sock when the sun came up. Awesome.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Great job !! thats a great temp difference ..Now I wanna make one lol

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Had heavy frost this A.M. I used a bib in front of my face and pulled up the sides that left about 2 inches of space from the bottom of the hammock. NO condensation in the sock, but the bib was saturated... . Awesome.
    Congrats on the great sock design! What fabric did you make your bib out of?
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Congrats on the great sock design! What fabric did you make your bib out of?
    Thanks! Just some scrap felt. I just cut a hole for my head and hang the other side from my ridgeline with a mitton hook. It is soft enough not to be irritating and is very absorbent. I still not used to something hanging in front of my face yet.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tattoo View Post
    Great job !! thats a great temp difference ..Now I wanna make one lol
    Thank you. For some reason this sock traps heat very well. I get 10-20 degrees. I'm going to start using my mini candle as it burns for 6 hours, and throws off more heat than my laptop. Plus I can hang the candle higher since the sock is really tall. I'll report back tomorrow with the temps.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Thank you. For some reason this sock traps heat very well. I get 10-20 degrees. I'm going to start using my mini candle as it burns for 6 hours, and throws off more heat than my laptop. Plus I can hang the candle higher since the sock is really tall. I'll report back tomorrow with the temps.
    A lit candle in a hammock--inside a sock?!?!?! Be super careful, my friend!
    "Pips"

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    A lit candle in a hammock--inside a sock?!?!?! Be super careful, my friend!
    It works very well and is very safe. A baby food jar with a tea candle suspended from the ridgeline with wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    It works very well and is very safe. A baby food jar with a tea candle suspended from the ridgeline with wire.
    Cool!!! Err...I mean Hot!!!!
    "Pips"

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast