DIY 1.5oz 2 Layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY IX 2 Layer
    Suspension
    Whoopies

We can rebuild it, we have the technology

Tried out my 2 layer IX UQ last summer, and was not satisfied with the insulation. Only two trips and the IX edges were already fraying and it seemed to like to snap up and hit me in the head every time I moved.

I just got around to taking it apart, and had several fun-filled nights cutting the thread back off. For those of you who have not had the pleasure I cannot compare the tedium to anything else, but imagine it may be what golf is like - or cleaning a large bathroom with a toothbrush.

After taking it apart I think what happened is the IX was not spaced apart and the insulation was squashed, so I think I need some non-squishy material in the middle of the IX.

Anyways since it was the second DIY I have ever done, I thought I would share my new ideas... and hopefully get a "yes it will work" or "good god no"

I'm thinking that it would be fine to sew three sides of the IX, turn it inside out like a stuff-sack, add the climashield or primaloft, sew a few "baffles", and add the outer layers of ripstop (one light one dark). Use grossgrain only the edges and maybe put a little in the middle instead of going all the way around (this would reduce some weight and give me some extra grossgrain to mod my hammock with a stretch head/footbox.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions??

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Born_Old View Post
    Tried out my 2 layer IX UQ last summer, and was not satisfied with the insulation. Only two trips and the IX edges were already fraying and it seemed to like to snap up and hit me in the head every time I moved.

I just got around to taking it apart, and had several fun-filled nights cutting the thread back off. For those of you who have not had the pleasure I cannot compare the tedium to anything else, but imagine it may be what golf is like - or cleaning a large bathroom with a toothbrush.
    Lol... more like watching golf from the moon with binoculars!

Quote Originally Posted by Born_Old View Post
    After taking it apart I think what happened is the IX was not spaced apart and the insulation was squashed, so I think I need some non-squishy material in the middle of the IX.

Anyways since it was the second DIY I have ever done, I thought I would share my new ideas... and hopefully get a "yes it will work" or "good god no"

I'm thinking that it would be fine to sew three sides of the IX, turn it inside out like a stuff-sack, add the climashield or primaloft, sew a few "baffles", and add the outer layers of ripstop (one light one dark). Use grossgrain only the edges and maybe put a little in the middle instead of going all the way around (this would reduce some weight and give me some extra grossgrain to mod my hammock with a stretch head/footbox.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions??
    You certainly COULD put some insulation in between the IX. The other option would be to pull the inner layer 1/2" shorter, and sew a new line. Though I think tha t2 layers would take you to maybe 40 degrees.

If you're going to add sheet insulation, you'll only need to sew it to the three edges, then flip it inside out and sew closed the one end.

I wouldn't put nylon between the hammock and the IX... no reason to... Instead of Grosgrain all the way around, you could use the nylon to sew channels, or make it a rolled hem. (but Grosgrain hides LOTS of sewing ugliness!)

The climashield option would certainly be the warmest, and if you go that route, I would make the outer layer of IX/Nylon 2 inches longer than the inner. This would ensure you get the most loft for the $.

Hope this helps!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    I had good success with separating the IX layers with a sheet of Climashield 6.0 in between the two layers. My climashield is actually an insert, so when the weather warms up, it can become a warm weathered piece. The outer shell can be used as a container for your insulation, it doesn't necessarily require to be sew in; it's not going anywhere. It will reduce the stress on the materials.
    Good luck

The title of this thread made my nose into a coffee water feature. Hats off to you, good sir!

Hammock
    DIY 1.5oz 2 Layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY IX 2 Layer
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had good success with separating the IX layers with a sheet of Climashield 6.0 in between the two layers. My climashield is actually an insert, so when the weather warms up, it can become a warm weathered piece. The outer shell can be used as a container for your insulation, it doesn't necessarily require to be sew in; it's not going anywhere. It will reduce the stress on the materials.
    uncle_ray_ray, I am intrigued. Do you stuff it into the side or into the top/bottom of the UQ? I like the idea because it would add more versatility, but worry that it will let in too much cold/air/twigs/etc if one side of the UQ is just open.

I wouldn't put nylon between the hammock and the IX... no reason to... Instead of Grosgrain all the way around, you could use the nylon to sew channels, or make it a rolled hem.
    John, the edges of the IX were already fraying. At the least I would need to put a 3 or 4' strip on the sides just to keep that from happening. I figured the ripstop would also add a bit of warmth, but I could be very incorrect in that assumption.

As for 40 degrees, that's all I thought I needed. Seattle seems to have much more of a temp difference compared to the east coast between day and night. It was a learning experience.

Thanks for the help I really, really, don't want to have to take this apart again.

Really.

• + New Posts