WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Last time I had CBS, I went to sleep without changing into my sleep clothes (including dry underwear). Got up, changed and no more CBS that night.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I'd venture a guess that your PLUQ was compressing your down loft, limiting it's ability to insulate. Next time I would maybe put the PLUQ closest to the hammock and the UQ cinched nice and tight underneath. Just my hypothesis, explains why you didn't feel any gaps but wouldn't get warm.
    This was my 1st thought also. Other than that, UQs can be tricky to make sure there are no gaps or leaks. For me, that is usually just a matter of making sure things are snug/tight enough, but you said you had that covered. So all I can think of is compressed down.

EDIT: I see from a later post that your PLUQ was NOT compressing your down. And your quilt is supposed to be dif cut so too tight should not have been a problem. So like I said, quilts can be tricky. I think you need an HHSS. ( just kidding. sort of anyway. but at least there is really no question about adjustment, if you are one of the folks they work for) Or a PeaPod with which leaks and gaps and drafts just don't seem to be a problem.

But seriously, my UQs ( 2 JRBs and a WB) have always worked for me, no CBC or other problems, although they are dif cut and not all UQs are. So I just have to make sure they are plenty snug with no end gaps, which usually just means tight enough. Still, I do see a lot of threads like this. Tricky!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-13-2012 at 22:08.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Nah, it was definitely not compressed. I have tried it out the backyard without the poncho liner and was getting CBS there too. I also get it in my new brazilian hammock in my bedroom (although my central heating gets down to 55 at night). I might just be a colder sleeper than I thought I was... darn. Of course I still might not have my UQ rigged right. I need one of you guys to check it out on a group hang.
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It the long sleeve T shirt was cotton it was a layer of cold. I have also seen polyester work that way. Stay with wool or polypro and you can't get screwed up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gra_factor View Post
    Nah, it was definitely not compressed. I have tried it out the backyard without the poncho liner and was getting CBS there too. I also get it in my new brazilian hammock in my bedroom (although my central heating gets down to 55 at night). I might just be a colder sleeper than I thought I was... darn. Of course I still might not have my UQ rigged right. I need one of you guys to check it out on a group hang.
    Yep, see my edit above posted just a minute ago.

There are devilish ways that air can seep in the ends or edges of an UQ.

EDIT: have you tried this: reach out with your hands ( I usually cross over left hand to right side), grab the top edges of the UQ and pull up. If you can move it even 1/4", it might not be tight enough.

One more thing: on my WB, before I get in the hammock, the torso UQ LIFTS the hammock in the center a couple of feet. If it does not, it is usually not tight enough. Not sure if that would work as well as a means of adjustment with a full length.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-13-2012 at 22:17.

it should bob, and on top of that, you'll want to run a secondary suspension with the sole purpose of keeping the quilt pulled apart. full lengths like to bunch up towards the lowest center of gravity, causing the quilt to pull away. I cannot get rid of CBS if I do not do this in cold weather

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    BillyBob and Slo are right on the money. Those are the problems i was having that was giving me CBS. It ended up being that i needed to tighten my uq suspension up just a bit to lift my hammock some more, and i also needed to fully stretch out the underquilt along the shockcord channels. It tends to bunch up ever so slightly in the middle and results in a tiny air gap. The reaching out either side and pulling up the underquilt is a good indicator if its too loose and or bunching.

My problem sounded just like yours, and these were the solutions.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yep, see my edit above posted just a minute ago.

There are devilish ways that air can seep in the ends or edges of an UQ.

EDIT: have you tried this: reach out with your hands ( I usually cross over left hand to right side), grab the top edges of the UQ and pull up. If you can move it even 1/4", it might not be tight enough.

One more thing: on my WB, before I get in the hammock, the torso UQ LIFTS the hammock in the center a couple of feet. If it does not, it is usually not tight enough. Not sure if that would work as well as a means of adjustment with a full length.
    I can lift it more than 1/4", at least I think so. Of course if I pull it up on one side it tends to go down on the other side. It might be my method of suspension? Because my hammock has strings I attach the UQ there. I tried at first with the triangle thingies but I didn't think they worked as well. Maybe I will try them again.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    it should bob, and on top of that, you'll want to run a secondary suspension with the sole purpose of keeping the quilt pulled apart. full lengths like to bunch up towards the lowest center of gravity, causing the quilt to pull away. I cannot get rid of CBS if I do not do this in cold weather
    Ah hah, this sounds right. There has sometimes been room for me to get my hand between my butt and the top of the underquilt, although it's hard to be sure. My UQ has little loops sewn along its length. I was thinking of tying some shock cord and mini-biners to the opposing loops in the middle and hooking them over the ridge line.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gra_factor View Post
    Ah hah, this sounds right. There has sometimes been room for me to get my hand between my butt and the top of the underquilt, although it's hard to be sure. My UQ has little loops sewn along its length. I was thinking of tying some shock cord and mini-biners to the opposing loops in the middle and hooking them over the ridge line.

I do this with my Underground quilt!! I use the little loops that are close to the center but nearer to my foot end. Also, I will use the left over shockcord, the piece that's pulled and is now just hanging there, I'll tie this so that the quilt doesn't bunch down in the middle. I've tied it so that it stays put and doesn't move or bunch up when I'm sleeping.

My quilt, when it's on my blackbird, is lifting up my hammock until I get into it. I also found that the shockcord needs to be way tighter than I thought it needed to be.

Temp ratings? They are very subjective to the person using it. And can change!! I had an under quilt that I used with my Clark hammock rated at about 0. I also found that sometimes I was cold in warmer temps with it. Usually it came down to not having the quilt on right and combining that with either not eatting or changing my hiking clothes to sleeping clothes. Sometimes little things can add up to be a major problem.

Back to temp. ratings... With sleeping bags, a temp rating means... that's the lowest temp you can go and still be alive in the morning. It doesn't mean you will spend the night toasty if you're at the max rating of the bag. I've often wondered about our under quilt ratings and if they too are using this same type of rating scale?? I like to sleep toasty. I'd already tried a 0 degree UQ and found that I was not warm, even in much higher night time temps (like at 30 degrees!!). So I now have a -10 degree quilt that keeps me toasty at 17 degrees. This is what I had to do to sleep the way I liked to. And I don't have to add anything extra under me, just my one under quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast