DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

ICE-OUT 2013 Has Arrived!!!!

Let's do this thing!

I just called the Algonquin Park Office and they've told me, assured me, nay, guaranteed me, that Canoe through to McIntosh will be free of ice this weekend. I still have my reservations so......

Sounds like several of you were going to do a car-camping as a Plan E, but if you're game let's go back to Plan A!!! The weather looks like it'll be awesome!!!!

So, let's finalize the rolecall, figure out canoes (and rentals), paddling partners and any group gear we might feel is necessary.

P.S. Sorry about the dates jumping around.. but Mother nature is a touchy old gal!!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Heck, I haven't cancelled my canoe rental yet so why not. I'll check with my buddy this evening.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works

Canada>Ontario>May 2013 - EGL Spring Canoe Hang - May 2013 - Planning Thread

Yay!

I don't need to cancel the canoe rental now!

Looks like my WB SF won't make it to me before the trip, and possibly my down UQ, so I don't have much extra gear to offer the group. I can pick up groceries for a group meal if needed. I have extra hammocks if needed, but no tarps.

Was anyone planning on getting bait? I usually use lures/jigs, but have never fished trout before.

I won't be bringing my big saw, since I seem to remember the plethora of saws we had last September. I will have an axe or two.

Chard, do the rivers on our journey present us with any white water? I'm a novice, remember, and I can only imagine how high the levels are at this week.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    My buddy's out so I have room in a canoe if anyone wants. If not I'll change to a solo.

Group gear I have a big pot, a couple poly tarps, solid first aid kit and other odds and ends. Let me know what's needed.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Quote Originally Posted by Chenvre View Post
    Chard, do the rivers on our journey present us with any white water? I'm a novice, remember, and I can only imagine how high the levels are at this week.
    Answered my own question by looking at the elevations of the lakes closer

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    Heck, I haven't cancelled my canoe rental yet so why not. My buddy's out so I have room in a canoe if anyone wants. If not I'll change to a solo.

Group gear I have a big pot, a couple poly tarps, solid first aid kit and other odds and ends. Let me know what's needed.
    Nice about the rental, too bad about your buddy though.

Definitely bring up the first aid kit. I've got my old MEC large guide tarp and stainless steel camp pot that should work, and they're quite light for the size. The extra tarp never hurts. I don't mind bringing them and we can work out what goes and stays at the carpark.

I don't need to cancel the canoe rental now! Looks like my WB SF won't make it to me before the trip, and possibly my down UQ, so I don't have much extra gear to offer the group.
    That's a drag about not getting your gear in time but it sounds like your ready to go anyways.

I can pick up groceries for a group meal if needed. I have extra hammocks if needed, but no tarps. I won't be bringing my big saw, since I seem to remember the plethora of saws we had last September. I will have an axe or two.
    Groceries sound good. Let's settle on a meal or two and figure out what we need. Saws will probably be covered (I'll likely leave mine at home too if possible but will bring my axe and laplander).

Was anyone planning on getting bait? I usually use lures/jigs, but have never fished trout before. Do the rivers on our journey present us with any white water? I'm a novice, remember, and I can only imagine how high the levels are at this week.
    No live bait, other than worms, are permitted in the park. I prefer Rapala floating minnow baits and Little Cleo spoons for lakers. Jigs, spinners, little Cleos and EGB spoons work well on brookies.

Although there will be no white water on the route, the lakes can kick up quite a surf, so care is recommended.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict

If you want you can partner up with me in the tandem I have booked. From what I've heard, Tom Thompson and McIntosh can get quite windy and wavy later in the day which makes a solo ride more work. If no one wants to ride along with me I'm going to change my booking to a solo tomorrow.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I was originally thinking my menu would be sausage for the first night and dehydrated for the second but I'd probably agree to most food-like solutions.

Images
    I have a solo, so won't need to partner up.

What time are we meeting at Canoe Lake?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    WhooHoo! I am still in need of a paddling partner. Chard can vouche for me, I'm ok to paddle with.

The weather looks good but I have a spare 8x10 tarp I can bring just in case we need to construct another common area shelter. There will probably be redundant gear like axes, saws and stoves but I think we just like to bring our own toys to play with and in Mongrel's case make everyone else feel inadequate. If anyone needs anything then maybe post it here to see if anyone can help out.

For food, I'm open to bring anything needed for a group meal.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast