Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

modified weather shield

2ply... in the images:tips & tricks photos, is that outer shell the weather shield?
    is it a sepperrate pice that can be added on top of the hammock? if so how much does it weigh?
    what are the modifications you made?
    that looks a lot like what i`m planning to make to go over a top entry type hammock for cold weather wind & rain protection. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    ya know... a lot of times the ideas i have are nothing but something i had seen somewhere else before... or a combination of several people`s ideas.
    i`ve looked at the clark hammocks before, and the other socks & shields that people have made. but i think something that looks a lot like the clark weather shield (but very lightweight), covering a top entry hammock with what ever kind of insulation is used, would go a long way in providing protection & comfort in cold weather.
    protection against wind, blowing rain & snow.
    i belive it would need to be waterproof on the ends & DWR in between.
    BTW... i like that clear window. i wonder what types of clear material could be used & still be lightweight & stay flexible in cold? ...tim

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Seuss made a ripstop nylon covering for his Speer that replaces the bug net. Just like the bug net, only it stops the wind. He's lurking here...maybe we could convince him to let us know how it works?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Seuss made a ripstop nylon covering for his Speer that replaces the bug net. Just like the bug net, only it stops the wind. He's lurking here...maybe we could convince him to let us know how it works?
    yep... seuss` bug net replacement was one of the ideas that helped convince me on this line of thinking. i belive i remember him saying that it worked well for him (no noticable condensation). do you know if he`s joined this list?
    i was wondering too if 2ply had used his modified weather shield much in cold weather & if he saw much condensation inside the window. ...tim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    yep... seuss` bug net replacement was one of the ideas that helped convince me on this line of thinking. i belive i remember him saying that it worked well for him (no noticable condensation). do you know if he`s joined this list?
    i was wondering too if 2ply had used his modified weather shield much in cold weather & if he saw much condensation inside the window. ...tim
    I would be interested to hear how this compairs to the risk travel pod. I am thinking about adding that to the list of things I want to make. I wonder if adding a small vent in it would help with the condensation issues without loosing too much heat.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Works pretty well. Doesn't really stop the wind, just some convective heat loss. I used some uncoated 3/4 oz. ripstop poly I found on the $1/yd table. As gauzy and breathable as this stuff is I still sewed in two triangular bug net windows up at the head end and haven't had any condensation problems. It doesn't help with heat loss through the sides or bottom of the hammock, but makes it much more comfortable to read in the hammock at night without having to be all snugged under a quilt or in a bag. It also makes stargazing difficult.

seuss

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

room with a view

The window is a medium weight clear vinyl from the fabric shop. Cut to the size you want the window to be. Used a strip of nylon folded over and sewn with a zig zag to allow for stretch on the weather shield on the Clark. Next cut the weather shield material on 3 sides if you want a roll up cover, if not, cut off all 4. Sewed Velcro tabs onto the sides so it would hold in place, and a tab on the back so it would stay together when rolled up. Next I tape sealed the edges of the material to keep it from unravelling. I was just going to put 2 smaller windows on first, but decided a nice large window was the way to go!
    It was easier to make than we thought it would be. The total cost of supplies was less than $10.00.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I made a quick reply the other day and realized I didn't answer anyone's questions.

i like that clear window. i wonder what types of clear material could be used & still be lightweight & stay flexible in cold? ...tim

The vinyl is thin and clear and I have not had any cold weather cracking. I use the Clark in colder temps now that I have lighter hammocks. Condensation was a problem when the shield was closed up, I now leave an open space in the weather shield at the head end for venting. This has solved most of the problem but it's nothing a small cloth wipe won't fix.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The vinyl is thin and clear and I have not had any cold weather cracking. I use the Clark in colder temps now that I have lighter hammocks. Condensation was a problem when the shield was closed up, I now leave an open space in the weather shield at the head end for venting. This has solved most of the problem but it's nothing a small cloth wipe won't fix.
    thanks 2ply... i think a clear section would be great at times. i can imagin a cold winter night, clear stary night, warm & cozy in my hammock, extra protection from the wind & cold from the canopy.... sounds worth looking into.
    i`m thinking about a combination of clear vinal & 1.1 nylon w/ DWR treatment.
    a few more questions come to mind...
    1)... where did you find your vinyl... what was it`s original purpouse?
    2)...is it reasonably clear, or do things appear fuzzy through it?
    3)...i don`t suppose you have a rough idea on the weight of the vinyl do you?
    thanks. ...tim
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 11-05-2006 at 15:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast