WL night owl
    Tarp
    DIY green monster
    Insulation
    crappy sleepingbag
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Central Iowa hangers

Any one from the central Iowa area? I am fairly new to hammock camping and was wondering if there were any hang outs in the near future. I think that I have a good setup but would like to see another set of gear in person.

First post.

Hammock
    W00T! (so far)2
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat type
    Insulation
    0* Crows nest UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/CRL
    I'm new too, but there are several experienced ones here.
    ------
    Matt

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Im new too but just moved to michigan.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I'm always up for a group hang.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I'm around the area, but coordinating something with me is like herding cats. I'm fairly new to hammock camping too, and need to smooth out my setup technique. I take about as long to set up my hammock as I do a tent, and that just aint right

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Hey, just thought I'd pass it on, but if you are into bushcrafting, there are some guys over at bushcraftusa.com forums that are having a get-together/campout at Ledges state park Feb 15-17. Good excuse to get your hammock outside.

Hope this link works. It is a forum thread about the event. I'm very new to the bushcraftusa forum, so I don't vouch for any characters over there. I'm also not able to go to this meeting either. I copied the important information below the link in case you can't access it. I think this might be reserved for members of their forum, and they wanted people to post that they were coming, so if you are thinking about going, just register on their site and let them know you plan on attending within the thread.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...13-Meet-N-Camp

Iowa Winter 2012/13 Meet 'N Camp
    Ok folks, here is the basic information we need to remember.

Where: Ledges state park, at their primitive sites (link to map and location of park): http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...d=0CIEBEPwSMAA

When: Feb. 15, 16, & 17, 2013.

Why: Cuz we want to have a great time!!!!!!

Who's invited?: Everyone! This is not an "Iowa only" gig. It just happens to be taking place in Iowa.

Cost: $6 per site per night. UP to 6 people per site. Translated: For every 6 of us, we need to purchase another site. I don't think it matters if 12 of us stay on one site, as long as we have purchased enough sites to accommodate 2 groups of 6.

Weather: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...5&lon=-93.8792
    Ledges State Park straddles zip codes 50036 and 50156. The link above is for weather in the 50036 area.

Snow Depth: http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interactiv...nt=0&js=1&uc=0
    (Just south of Boon)

Maps 'N Links Official site: http://www.iowadnr.gov/Destinations/...inBoundary=196
    Map of camp sites, looks like we would be in the NE corner? http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/...s/ledgescg.pdf
    Map of park: http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/.../ledgesmap.pdf
    Last edited by Banjoman; 01-30-2013 at 18:24.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Looking into it

I read your links, Banjoman. This looks to be a huge ground dweller convention. Just got back from Ledges. There are 12 primitive sites. "1 Tent per unit" is prominently posted. Reading your link, there are at least 25 positives and a bunch of "maybe's" bushcrafters attending. I don't really feel good about crashing their party, so a quick look around and site 59 thru 71 are mainly on the inside of a loop. "One "Camping unit" and 2 vehicles per site. The inside of this loop has quite a few hammock-able trees, its drive-up access. Pick a site, and sign up, park there, camp toward the middle. $6 per non-electric site, $11 per electric site. If you care to have an electric blanket in your hammock, go ahead, I dare ya! HaHaHa! There is a wood pile in my back yard looking for a purpose, depending on the arrival of a new zero deg. incubator that was ordered mid- Dec. Count me in as More'n likely camping and definitely gonna drop by and meet the local hangers.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Hey thanks a bunch for that info. I passed on the 1 tent per unit message to the bushcrafters. Just to let you know, I am not planning on going to this event right now. There's still the slight possibility that I show up but I doubt it.

I agree that it will be dominated by tenters, but I bet you'd wow them by staying in a hammock in the winter

EDIT: There have been follow up posts about the event on the bushcraft forum, and it seems these folks are no strangers to hammocks . So, looks like hangers will be present.
    Last edited by Banjoman; 02-06-2013 at 19:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    Hey thanks a bunch for that info. I passed on the 1 tent per unit message to the bushcrafters. Just to let you know, I am not planning on going to this event right now. There's still the slight possibility that I show up but I doubt it.

I agree that it will be dominated by tenters, but I bet you'd wow them by staying in a hammock in the winter

EDIT: There have been follow up posts about the event on the bushcraft forum, and it seems these folks are no strangers to hammocks . So, looks like hangers will be present.
    I am strongly considering going. It's 300 miles but just hanging with the guys is appealing right now after some rough times at work. Also, I would say there will be more tarpers than tenters

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    We've put together an Iowa hang the past two falls...usually around November. Wouldn't mind doing another.

Also, I've got that weekend off and was planning on heading north, but might possibly consider going south if this develops into something
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast