DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings

Ring hammock question duh. :)

I am connecting a sewn channel hammock to a single steel ring on each end. How far from the end of the hammock should the rings be, and with what knot do I attach them? I have it now as such: Rope doubled, and threaded through the channel. Loose ends put through the bight and snugged down. (think larks-head through the channel) One of the individual ends is inserted through the steel ring, and both are connected with a double fishermen's bend.
    Is this sufficient? Am I missing something stupid? Thank you in advance.
    P.S. I plan for now to be tying a line between the ring and the treehugger for suspension. I thought the rings could be used for an adj ridgeline later.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Here is a pic of a Cinch Buckle attached to an ENO in a similar manner to your description. Ala - prussik to the buckle, doubled cording through the channel, and tied back onto the standing end via a bowline knot. It has worked very well over an extended period of time.

The buckle is perhaps 4-5 inches away from the channel.

Per your question - your method 'sounds' sufficient. If you have a picture, we can confirm.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    With mine now, the ring sits 11" from the channel. Maybe need to shorten it. I was trying to avoid cutting the rope and messing it up at the beginning. (same hammock ordered in the "off brand" thread I did a little write up on.)

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knighthorse View Post
    I am connecting a sewn channel hammock to a single steel ring on each end. How far from the end of the hammock should the rings be, and with what knot do I attach them?
    I've settled on a loop made from a 24" length of Amsteel blue, threaded through the channel and itself in Lark's head fashion, like you described. A fisherman's bend will work fine to form the loop, although I'm partial to the Zeppelin bend. I made the loop as short as possible, while giving me room to connect a ridge line and bug net along with the bunched up skins.

One of the individual ends is inserted through the steel ring, and both are connected with a double fishermen's bend.
    Is this sufficient?
    FWIW, I fasten the loop to an aluminum descender ring with a Lark's head.

Am I missing something stupid? Thank you in advance.
    P.S. I plan for now to be tying a line between the ring and the treehugger for suspension. I thought the rings could be used for an adj ridgeline later.
    That's exactly the approach I've evolved to. ...which is no guarantee it ain't stoopid!

If you haven't looked 'em over yet, study the sticky posts in this forum (support systems) for a wealth of already tested ideas. Another worthwhile read is TeeDee's article, and the follow-up discussions.

Chuck

Hammock
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Thank you for the responses. I didn't use the larks-head to ring idea for only one reason. I had it attached that way, and during my first "pitch/hang", I was about to tie the second end up, and the ring had plopped off onto the ground. Short grass, no problem finding the ring, just didn't want to lose it in any other inconvenient place.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I can't say I have ever had a lark's head release like that. I'll have to check my set up and see if they are at risk.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Mine were with the "standard" 3/8 inch rope, new, a little floppy somehow. Might have been due to the bigger rope, and not "broken in" yet. Don't know.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

unraveled Lark's head

I've seen this also. That's the downside of being able to put a ring on a line with a lark's head without actually threading one end of the cord through the ring. Only happens with the setup is not under tension, kinda banging aroung in a bag or pack.

Add another loop around the ring to make it a prusik, it is now topologically impossible for the ring to leave without having a cord end pass through the ring itself.

Grizz

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I've seen this also. That's the downside of being able to put a ring on a line with a lark's head without actually threading one end of the cord through the ring. Only happens with the setup is not under tension, kinda banging aroung in a bag or pack.

Add another loop around the ring to make it a prusik, it is now topologically impossible for the ring to leave without having a cord end pass through the ring itself.

Grizz
    Thanks for that insight Grizz. I think that's why I haven't noticed it. Come to think of it I have had Larks heads fail on my that way, just not on my hammock cause I have them "prussic-ed"
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Since my ropes have by now stretched, and I'm probably going to undo and retie the rings, I'll most likely use the prusik on the ring. I didn't want to redo the knot without reason. The prusik looks like it would be less stress on the rope than just a single pass through the ring.
    Thank you for the info, and once again thank you Professor Adams for the suspension videos.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast