DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I use a trucker's hitch for my tarp ridgeline, but I have wondered about something, and I'd love to hear yours and others thoughts on this. If you're using something like Zing-It, the twisted loop portion of the knot can get extremely tight. As you know, to loosen the knot when finished, all you have to do is pass the tag end back through the loop and pull the standing line very hard, and the twisted portion of the knot releases, but it seems there is a tremendous amount of friction on the Zing-It when that knot breaks loose...you can sometimes hear it snap/pop when the knot breaks free. Do you think that will damage the Zing-It over time? I purchased a few fig 9's to experiment with, and I also wonder about the teeth damaging the line over time. Any thoughts on that?
    I've never used zing-it... and I've only messed with fig 9's. Wish I had something to offer on this but hopefully someone else will? I use 1/8" polyester cord from Home Depot (cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    BTW, the Fig 9's can be attached to the line via a larks head or could be permanently attached with a prusik loop or klemheist loop, so it would be next to impossible to lose the Fig 9 unless you lose your entire ridgeline.

Salty
    I don't know... someday at a group hang I'll have to check out how people that use the fig 9's like to use them. Don't get me wrong- I believe in "HYOH", but if you're tying various knots (prusik, klemheist, continuous loop, etc?) to use with the fig 9... is it maybe a solution looking for a problem? It seems similar to a trucker's hitch in that it uses mechanical advantage to achieve tightness which is cool. I guess I found it easy to lose because it's so small, and I had used the "figure four" around the closed end like the instructions say to secure it. Maybe I gave up on it too quick... I still have mine (so much for being so easy to lose!) so maybe I'll mess with it again one of these days.

ps found the following comment on a fig 9 video on youtube... "Thanks Rick Case for helping people NOT to have to learn how to tie a simple trucker's hitch knot" so I guess I wasn't the first to have this cross his mind. Also found it interesting that googling "nite ize figure 8 vs. truckers hitch" leads one quickly to this forum, and this very thread!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I don't know... someday at a group hang I'll have to check out how people that use the fig 9's like to use them. Don't get me wrong- I believe in "HYOH", but if you're tying various knots (prusik, klemheist, continuous loop, etc?) to use with the fig 9... is it maybe a solution looking for a problem?
    Some like chocolate, some like vanilla. I agree, each person should choose what works best for them.

My tarp ridge line and guy lines are more of a system, like a whoopie sling. I made them out of Zing-it, and each guy-line has a built-in tube tensioner and a prusik knot made from a continuous loop of Zing-it for tensioning the line. My ridge line is also Zing-it and has two prusik'd soft shackles that are used to attach the tarp. On one end of the ridge line, I made a continuous buried loop, so I can just pass the line around a tree and back through that loop to secure it for one end. So, my lines consist of both line and doo-dads already. In this kind of scenario, adding a knot bone or figure 9 probably makes sense, even though I haven't used it, yet. The entire system is constructed to be nearly foolproof and very quick and simple to setup.

I think it's good advice for everyone to learn a good set of basic knots and practice them enough to retain them, because you never know when equipment will fail or be lost.

BTW, I've heard that you can actually construct a set of "pulleys" using a series of truckers hitches. where with a strong enough rope, you could actually create enough leverage to pull a car out of a ditch. I've never seen it, but that would be neat to see.

Salty

Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Wow guys, excellent, I wake up to an oasis of information and answers :-)

Well, I ordered a figure 9 carabiner version, as I'll hook that to the line that would also be attached to my pack. I never lost the line, so I should be ok.
    However, I have also understood frmo this thread that a 'trucker's hitch' is a good alternative. I looked all over youtube, and found many different versions... Can someone let me know if this one from expertvillage is any good? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9YVoZMndbc This one is actually very easy to remember and does seem to be quite solid, though I'd tie it off with a quick release knot. I'm just asking because once in a while the EV vids are... off.

Many thanks all, truly invaluable info on this board.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursule View Post
    I looked all over youtube, and found many different versions... Can someone let me know if this one from expertvillage is any good? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9YVoZMndbc This one is actually very easy to remember and does seem to be quite solid, though I'd tie it off with a quick release knot. I'm just asking because once in a while the EV vids are... off.

Many thanks all, truly invaluable info on this board.
    It seems like the videos on the truckers hitch all have two things in common- the video has some kind of knot in it, and the comments always have people saying "this is not a trucker's hitch!".

This is closest to what I do... the only real difference is that I tie my hitch a lot closer to the tree. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IziTG...eature=related

Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thank you, seems the loop is made different in this one indeed. Many thanks, a knot I will not easily forget :-)

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    hey festus hagen love your setup! i will try that out. two questions how long is your HD el cheapo ridgeline? and what did you use for your prussics? looks like amsteel
    Last edited by natureboy68; 08-27-2010 at 14:18.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'd have to measure but I think the ridgeline is roughly 30 feet long. Could probably be shorter.

For the prusiks, I happened to have purchased a HH tarp, that was the cord they supply along with it.... unfortunately I don't know much else about it but I don't think it's anything special, just woven poly or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
    hey festus hagen love your setup! i will try that out. two questions how long is your HD el cheapo ridgeline? and what did you use for your prussics? looks like amsteel

Images
    This is closest to what I do... the only real difference is that I tie my hitch a lot closer to the tree. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IziTG...eature=related
    That was great info. He went to fast when he said Half hitch to bite?( I think that is what he said). What exactly is that?

Thanks
    Rockets, BBQ, Backpacking, Hanging. Not necessarily in that order!!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Variations in Figure 9 strength?

I ordered a couple of Fig(s from REI, and I notice that they are beefier than the ones included in Nite Eyz four-piece guyline kit. The kit 9s can be flexed between your fingers, but the newest ones (with laser etched graphics) are far more rigid. I doubt that this is a major concern for continuous ridgelines though.

Jim

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    Thanks! that will work for me...

I'd have to measure but I think the ridgeline is roughly 30 feet long. Could probably be shorter.

For the prusiks, I happened to have purchased a HH tarp, that was the cord they supply along with it.... unfortunately I don't know much else about it but I don't think it's anything special, just woven poly or similar?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast