Thread: bmbh

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

bmbh

I set one up for the first time this weekend. I had trouble getting the end right. The ends were twisted and when I thought I had fix it and put the bars in it would be worse. I did the best I could and my son didn't complain once. I wish I had more time to mess with it but it was a Cubscouts event and being a father and a cubmaster took priority.

what would be best if someone can point me in the direction of a YouTube video of someone setting it up. Its an older model with the Velcro net which I also had trouble securing. It came with eno straps and biners which I would have switched out but I got it the day before I left.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I set one up for the first time this weekend. I had trouble getting the end right. The ends were twisted and when I thought I had fix it and put the bars in it would be worse. I did the best I could and my son didn't complain once. I wish I had more time to mess with it but it was a Cubscouts event and being a father and a cubmaster took priority.

what would be best if someone can point me in the direction of a YouTube video of someone setting it up. Its an older model with the Velcro net which I also had trouble securing. It came with eno straps and biners which I would have switched out but I got it the day before I left.
    I have that model and I don't ever have trouble setting it up, it seems pretty straight forward. Then again I don't have the ENO straps, I don't know if that complicates it?

Having trouble understanding what you mean by "The ends were twisted and when I thought I had fix it and put the bars in it would be worse"? I can't figure out why they would be twisted in some way that you could not just intwist them? Can you post any pics?

Could you just lay it out in the house, flat on the flat on the floor, with the net side up and attached, and get things straightened out? It should just look like a big rectangle of cloth, with a net on top, laying there on your floor. Then you could practice putting the spreader bars in and see how it is supposed to work, while taking your time and being comfy indoors.

Then go out to your trees and try it there. OK, I don't know how the straps you have work. I take it you got this used with non stock straps? How ever yours works, hook up to the trees LOOSELY, leaving some sag, and making sure it is right side up with the net, or at least the Omni tape edges of the hammock, at the top and not towards the ground. Put the spreader bars in while it is still loose, or else it will be very hard to get the bars in. There are notches in the bars and rings on left and right side of each end of the hammock. These metal rings fit easily right into the notches on the ends of the spreader bars.

When the bars are end, tighten up the suspension on each end so that the distance is roughly equal to each tree and the net is pulled fairly tight, then ease off a few inches until there is just a hint of sag in the net, and the hammock edges are about butt or hip height.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/bea...ammock-deluxe/

Or, attache a line ( ridge line ) that won't stretch much between the 2 outer rings, with a distance of 9 feet 6" ( original non-zipper model only). When you hang it just snug that line up. When empty and looked at from the side, the center will be a little higher than the ends.

Put the head end about 6" higher on the tree than the foot end ( at least for original model).

Many folks hated that net, and I used to, but I grew to like it a lot.

First, attach it real good on at least on end. Leave the net covering just the foot end, maybe 1/4 of the hammock or even hanging over the foot end spreader, out of the way. Then when you get in, put your feet into the bottom of the hammock, grab the net and pull it over your head. Leaving the sides loose, attach the Omni tape ( Velcro like ) real well to the top right under the bar, and just let it drape down on the sides either inside or outside the hammock, while you gather your thoughts. Here is a surprise, 90+% of the time, the net just hanging loose like that will keep the mossies out. Mossies tend to go towards your breath, rising body heat or a light that ou might have habging from a ridgeline above the hammock. They probably won't fly down and back up under the net and back down into the hammock. So as long as you get the ends on good, you can at least relax for a minute.

Then if worried about ticks or that the mossies will sneak in, just grap the net on one side, pull up from the foot end towards your head real tight and touch the Omni Tape edges together. Repeat on the other side and on the head end. There will then be some slack in the net edges, just push them together. You are sealed in, the net should be well above your face, and you can bust back out real quick and easy.

Sorry, no video available, maybe some one else will have one.

Oh, DO NOT use the spreader bars to pull yourself up in the hammock, and don't hang heavy loads from them, they will bend!

EDIT: here are a couple that might help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw2xSDChiA8

you get a good idea how the hammock looks set up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBeVl...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnoFG...eature=related
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-30-2012 at 19:51.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have that model and I don't ever have trouble setting it up, it seems pretty straight forward. Then again I don't have the ENO straps, I don't know if that complicates it?

Having trouble understanding what you mean by "The ends were twisted and when I thought I had fix it and put the bars in it would be worse"? I can't figure out why they would be twisted in some way that you could not just intwist them? Can you post any pics?

Could you just lay it out in the house, flat on the flat on the floor, with the net side up and attached, and get things straightened out? It should just look like a big rectangle of cloth, with a net on top, laying there on your floor. Then you could practice putting the spreader bars in and see how it is supposed to work, while taking your time and being comfy indoors.

Then go out to your trees and try it there. OK, I don't know how the straps you have work. I take it you got this used with non stock straps? How ever yours works, hook up to the trees LOOSELY, leaving some sag, and making sure it is right side up with the net, or at least the Omni tape edges of the hammock, at the top and not towards the ground. Put the spreader bars in while it is still loose, or else it will be very hard to get the bars in. There are notches in the bars and rings on left and right side of each end of the hammock. These metal rings fit easily right into the notches on the ends of the spreader bars.

When the bars are end, tighten up the suspension on each end so that the distance is roughly equal to each tree and the net is pulled fairly tight, then ease off a few inches until there is just a hint of sag in the net, and the hammock edges are about butt or hip height.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/bea...ammock-deluxe/

Or, attache a line ( ridge line ) that won't stretch much between the 2 outer rings, with a distance of 9 feet 6" ( original non-zipper model only). When you hang it just snug that line up. When empty and looked at from the side, the center will be a little higher than the ends.

Put the head end about 6" higher on the tree than the foot end ( at least for original model).

Many folks hated that net, and I used to, but I grew to like it a lot.

First, attach it real good on at least on end. Leave the net covering just the foot end, maybe 1/4 of the hammock or even hanging over the foot end spreader, out of the way. Then when you get in, put your feet into the bottom of the hammock, grab the net and pull it over your head. Leaving the sides loose, attach the Omni tape ( Velcro like ) real well to the top right under the bar, and just let it drape down on the sides either inside or outside the hammock, while you gather your thoughts. Here is a surprise, 90+% of the time, the net just hanging loose like that will keep the mossies out. Mossies tend to go towards your breath, rising body heat or a light that ou might have habging from a ridgeline above the hammock. They probably won't fly down and back up under the net and back down into the hammock. So as long as you get the ends on good, you can at least relax for a minute.

Then if worried about ticks or that the mossies will sneak in, just grap the net on one side, pull up from the foot end towards your head real tight and touch the Omni Tape edges together. Repeat on the other side and on the head end. There will then be some slack in the net edges, just push them together. You are sealed in, the net should be well above your face, and you can bust back out real quick and easy.

Sorry, no video available, maybe some one else will have one.

Oh, DO NOT use the spreader bars to pull yourself up in the hammock, and don't hang heavy loads from them, they will bend!

EDIT: here are a couple that might help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw2xSDChiA8

you get a good idea how the hammock looks set up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBeVl...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnoFG...eature=related
    wow thanks. I will process this as best as I can. The 2 rings that the poles fit into then the webbing leading up to the top ring. I definitely needed to do that but I only got it the day before. I will try laying it out and see what's what. The problems I had with the net are partially because the omnitape along one side is degraded from either using the same side to get in and out or using it as a seat. I also realizes the Velcro when the hammock is empty, doesn't match up to what it is when occupied.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Might try removing the bugnet until you've figured out how to hang the hammock.
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ExPXGUY View Post
    Might try removing the bugnet until you've figured out how to hang the hammock.
    i did. the net didnt go on until we went to sleep.

Images
    ZQ can help you with the bug net...
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/index.html

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    ZQ can help you with the bug net...
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/index.html
    I need to get some money together and they are out of town for a bit I believe. I will definitely be getting them to add a zipper. Especially because this hammock is for my son and he would not be able to put the bugnet on himself as is.

• + New Posts