WBBB, ENO Double
    Tarp
    Superfly & SWT
    Insulation
    Snugfit/Prolite+
    Suspension
    WBStraps & Buckles

Black Mamba Opinions

Calling out to those who have invested in the black mamba...

I have 2 BB's, a SuperFly, and a Yeti. Very familiar with Brandon's work, and know it's always top notch.

I am debating the Mamba, one, would like to have the "quad-fecta", and round out the entire package, support him, and have another great piece of gear!

But, I am pretty hot natured. Right now, I just use a army poncho liner as my top quilt, and this has done me fine down into the high 40s - low 50s.

So just wondering thoughts. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Smile Waebonnet stuff

I have the Blackbird hammock 1.7 double, Big Mambajamba tarp in spinnul, a 3 season yeti underquilt, and just this week latched onto their 3 season long topquilt. Every item reinforces my decision to stay with one source. Everything is absolutely functional, and works together as I had hoped. I say trust these guys as you will not fine better quality of products or service. After spending an inordinant amount of time, money, and frustration, I say "go for the best and skip a few meals to help with funding." We all could lose some weight anyway. HAMMOCKFORUMS ROCKS!!!

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I have the mamba and the yeti for 3 season. Awesome combo but at 65* it starts to get uncomfortable. I ended up kicking off the TQ at that temp range

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    I agree with Raul. Very comfortable but you get your moneys worth on the warmth scale. What temperature range do you want it for?

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO Double
    Tarp
    Superfly & SWT
    Insulation
    Snugfit/Prolite+
    Suspension
    WBStraps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I agree with Raul. Very comfortable but you get your moneys worth on the warmth scale. What temperature range do you want it for?

Bat
    Down to 30 I would say, and again, a simple pancho liner and thermarest under has kept me good down to low 50's.....

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Down to 30 I would say, and again, a simple pancho liner and thermarest under has kept me good down to low 50's.....

I'm a very cold sleeper and my black mamba has gotten me down to 30's easily. If you are a warm sleeper then it should be more than fine for you at that temp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I gotta agree with everyone else on this one, the BMs () are very warm quilts. I've taken my 3-season to the low 30s with just boxer briefs and a hiking tee as clothing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    AND the beauty of the BM for WB BB owners is that the BM is a match made in heaven for the Yeti--its like nothing is wasted, a perfect union and perfect benefit/weight ratio.
    The only down side of that is IF you have to go to ground with the Mamba AND you roll around in your sleep you will get a draft--so DONT go to ground or if you do just lie flat and sleep
    On the heat index even I get hot this time of year under even a Yeti3s (yeti 3 season) and have asked Brandon about a summer line up....
    Your stated goal of a Yeti to the 30s is a non-issue. My 3s model has continually proven itself to 32F.
    Speaking of marriages made in heaven, for those reading this thread and looking at a bridge hammock, you get the same perfection of materal weight/fit/function with a bridge hammock and a Mt.Washington. Had to throw this in here because in the world of mating parts its not often you get something that simply works and works simply but in this case there are two products like this!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Bulldawg - Just looking at your profile picture I would have to disagree with the rest of the group on getting one. I too am a pretty stocky/upper built guy and purchased a winter and 3-season Mamba as soon as they came out. Unfortunately they were WAY too narrow for me. Whether I lied on my side or back, the sides weren't wide enough to even come close to covering me. It would have made for pretty cold nights.

I'm also a pretty hot sleeper so in summer I use a Sea to Summit Coolmax Adaptor sheet which is AWESOME pretty much down to 50. If I get a little chilly I'll throw on a long sleeve shirt. From about 50-25 I'll use a GoLite Ultra 20. I know they don't make them anymore, but I believe the new GoLite quilts are the same size dimensions which cover me well.

It certainly isn't a knock on Brandon's work because the Mamba is certainly a really nice product, but unfortunately just may not be suitable for us larger guys.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    It certainly isn't a knock on Brandon's work because the Mamba is certainly a really nice product, but unfortunately just may not be suitable for us larger guys.
    Brandon talked of making a 'wide' version of the Mamba, for just that reason. You might contact him about it when he starts up again.

That being said, JRB has wide quilts available right now, same day shipping in most cases....
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast