Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Attention Idaho Hangers! Report -- Lollygagging and Cutthroat.

Well I spent a couple weeks trying to drum up a few locals to hit the trails with for a hike. At 330 miles Alpine Utah is becoming more and more local when it comes to Idaho hanging. MuseJr had the weekend free to come up and explore some trail with me. We set out for Boise early Saturday morning to pick up a few last items then head into the hills in search of a fresh trail head.

We settled on hiking into Jenny Lake. I have heard and read things about Jenny Lake off and on for the past few years. Most of which said that the fishing there is pretty good. So loaded down with far more weight than is intelligent to carry we hit the trail around noon. We were each packing our float tubes, waders, fins, more food than we really needed, several rods each. I had 3 Tenkara rods in my pack, enough lines to rig a dozen more and 2 small fly boxes. Musejr had 2 rods and reels as well.

The hike in drug on for what seemed like forever in the heat of the afternoon with our heavily laden packs. We passed a number of day hikers on their way out along with a few mountain bikers. About a quarter mile from the lake we met some folks that had been in for the day that told us that the fishing was good, lots of them in the lake...that helped motivate us up the final hill and into sight of the lake. We picked the first open spot with a fire pit and dropped out packs.

First things first - Lollygagging with our feet up for a bit. Time to get our hammocks hung.

Musejr's Rig......1.0 coyote BB hung on Dynaglide whoopies trimmed out with AHE UQ, TQ and Tarp

My Rig, 1.1 grey BB on dynaglide Whoopies with prototype UQ, TQ and I went topless with the clear skys.

After a bit I was ready to get a line wet, and another camper mentioned that they thought there was good fishing near the outlet. I set out for a stroll and was able to cast to some rising fish. Hooked into a strong 12" cutthroat right off the bat but having left my net at camp he got off just inches from my hand. I headed back to camp excited to get geared up fully. I soon had by tube in the water and was paddling around the lake watching fish cruse by and underneath me.

Sent to me from MuseJr.

As the light faded I was able to get 3 decent sized fish landed. Back to camp for dinner and a campfire to warm up next to. We turned in early as the light faded. Dreams of fat, strong cutthroats danced through my head as I drifted off, swaying slightly with a cool breeze coming off the lake.

The Sun was just starting to hit the water when I got up and started working on some breakfast. Oatmeal and oolong tea with a fruit bar to chase it down. We were on the water soon after with hopes of hitting some morning action.

Musejr had some good luck and reported around a dozen fish to hand while I left the water after a couple hours with nothing working for me. A snack/early lunch and I was ready to do some hiking around the lake. Some other campers had left and I wanted to see if they had left any unused fire wood and to see how the bank fishing was. It took my a while to find the right fly but once I did it was game on. In a 150 yard stretch of steep rocky bank I was able to connect with about a dozen fish from 10 up to 13 inches.

I fished with a new Tenkara Rod that was a bit short for this type of fishing but worked amazingly and will defiantly be in my pack again. The flex and feel of this rod made fighting the larger cutthroats a blast. The feel of them pulling on the short and very flexible rod sends a jolt of excitement down the rod as they would leap and thrash the water fiercely.

I headed back to camp for another snack, some water and to blab about how good the fishing had been across the lake. Muse was soon rounding up his gear and I offered to let him have a chance to play with a Tenkara rod. After a bit of work I had another nice fish to add to my count of the day.

And soon after Muse had his fist ever Tenkara landed fish.

We each rounded back around the lake in opposite directions. On the way I decided to try fishing off the top of a huge downed tree that extended out into the lake 70-80 feet before disappearing under the surface. From the top of the log I was able to see a nice fish holding in about 15 feet of water facing the shore waiting for something to fall in. I cast past him and when my fly and sunk to just above him I pulled the line towards shore bringing the small fly to just in front and off to his right side. Without a second though he inhaled the fly and the fight was on. I ran up the log and jumped to shore so that I would be able to steer him from running below the log. In 30 seconds it was over. I measured twice to be sure I was not wrong, snapped a quick picture and back to the water went the fat, strong 15" cut.

I tried the same trick again on the other side of the log, another fat cut struck the fly hard, thrashed the water several times and ran for the cover under the log. One final thrash of his head and the tippet snapped, sending him running for the deep and me back to camp for a break and dinner.

Soon we had eaten a good meal and were ready to hit the water for the last of our fishing before the sun would set over the ridge.

I fished the area around the large logs for a while with out any real success while Muse worked the shaded side of the lake and the middle till we passed in the middle of the lake, me looking for shade and him for warm sun.

Once I neared the edge of the lake in the shade fish started hitting the mini hopper I had on like it was candy.

I sat still watching for rising fish within range of my cast, about 30 feet from the tube, where I had paddled to about 45 feet from shore. Most of the fish were rising within the 10-20 feet from shore range in about 3-4 feet of water. As I sat casting I heard a noise on the hill side and was soon rewarded with a face to face staring match with a 3 point white tail that was only 50 feet away. I could clearly see the velvet still on his horns.

Little did I know this was not the last I would see of him.

Another hour in the boat and I was ready to get out as it grew dark. We saved up chatting and enjoying a warm fire for more hours than we should and finally decide to call it a night around 12. I lay in my hammock staring up at the stars for some time till I felt sufficiently drowsy. When I finally decided to close my eyes it could not have been seconds later when I heard and felt the dear gallop past me at full steam along the trail right behind the tree that my head end was hanging from. Muse told me in the morning that he had felt and heard the deer messing with his clothes/food bag that was hanging on his suspension and when he had shifted in his hammock the deer had taken off with a start. Throughout the night we continued to hear the deer milling about around our camp. I suspect that it is used to hanging about the area scavenging scraps left by campers.

Finally as the sky began to grow light the deer left us be and I slept for a couple hours, finally rising to eat around 9 am. Ahh to lollygagg in the hammock till the sun is high in the sky.

I fiddled with fishing a little more, got a few decent strikes but one way or another the fish escaped me. I relented and headed to camp where Muse (who decided the morning was better spent lollygagging(and he was probably right)) had already packed his gear. I broke down my camp and packed for the trudge out. We hit the trail at noon and made pretty good time all considered.

The hike was at times slow with the weight of all our excessive fishing gear but we both agreed that that lake was best fished from the boats. The wildflowers were in full bloom and I was able to get this shot that really capped off a great weekend hike.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    It would appear you live in or close to "trout heaven". Thanks for some great photos and the report. LOng drooooool here
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What an awesome trip, pictures, and report. Thanks for sharing. I am extremely jealous. It will be awhile before the wife lets me out for some camping.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That is a fantastic trip report. Looks to be one amazing weekend filled with some good times. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Amazing trip report(must have been a blast!) and fantastic pic's!.
    One of these days i got to pick up fishing(i have never been fishing) but the tenkare style really appeals to me.

Thanks for sharing and taking us along.
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Thanks for the trip PG, it was a blast!!! Next time I will try to space my trips out a little bit so I am better company on the last day.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Nice report and pictures. That sounds like what I dream of as being a perfect trip.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    It would appear you live in or close to "trout heaven". Thanks for some great photos and the report. LOng drooooool here
    Thanks, Yah other than the hike it's only a couple hours from my place to the trail head. There are lakes like this all over Idaho that have great fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    What an awesome trip, pictures, and report. Thanks for sharing. I am extremely jealous. It will be awhile before the wife lets me out for some camping.
    I'm sure your going to have your hands full for a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    That is a fantastic trip report. Looks to be one amazing weekend filled with some good times. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Fronkey
    It was a great trip with a lot of fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    Thanks for the trip PG, it was a blast!!! Next time I will try to space my trips out a little bit so I am better company on the last day.
    I should have been doing more lollygagging myself that morning, the "one more" bug was strong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Amazing trip report(must have been a blast!) and fantastic pic's!.
    One of these days i got to pick up fishing(i have never been fishing) but the tenkare style really appeals to me.

Thanks for sharing and taking us along.
    Tenkara worked well for me on this lake--though it was not intended for lake fishing it proved to be an effective tool. I had thought about bringing a fly rod and reel when I was packing (just in case) but decided to commit and really give Tenkara a try on the lake. Glad I did, it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Veto 65 View Post
    Nice report and pictures. That sounds like what I dream of as being a perfect trip.
    Thanks, it was a blast, and if I could get away I would be headed back into another lake right away.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Nothing so pretty as the form and muted shades of a beautiful fish.
    Thanks for the report and pics!

Images
    WhooHooo! I am going to have to try Tenkara!

How far would you say this Trailhead, or maybe some Sawtooth THs, are from Salt Lake City?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast