Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I added doors to a JRB 11x10 tarp, you should be able to add
    them to an SWT. I'd advise making a wide enough hem
    on the door material so that you can be sure that when you
    sew it to the hem on the SWT you're sewing through both
    hems, e.g., multiple layers of material on both the hammock
    and the door.

I've got plans in the works for a sort of removable door for both a hex tarp
    and rectangular tarp. I hope to have that done with some experience
    gained in July.

I use the same thread for silnylon as for other nylon,
    polyester thread I got from Speer's, a huge (but now
    diminishing) cone of it.

Grizz
    Grizz, what are you using for attachments on your removable doors? I've been tossing ideas around in my head for something similar for extenders/doors on the Clark Tarp, and trying to keep to the k.i.s.s. protocol. I am trying to avoid zippers or velcro - maybe using hook and bar or ring and bar attachments. They would be infinitely lighter than anything else I can think of, and easier to sew. Any comments? I know you've used the hook and eye approach on your UQ.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Grizz, what are you using for attachments on your removable doors? I've been tossing ideas around in my head for something similar for extenders/doors on the Clark Tarp, and trying to keep to the k.i.s.s. protocol. I am trying to avoid zippers or velcro - maybe using hook and bar or ring and bar attachments. They would be infinitely lighter than anything else I can think of, and easier to sew. Any comments? I know you've used the hook and eye approach on your UQ.
    For years tarps and such were laced together using grommets and rope. I am not quite sure what that would look like in this application. For esample during the Civil War tents were carried in two parts. They were laced together as the soldiers paired up in camp. Perhaps a look at some historical re-enacting would provide some mind bumps for you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    For years tarps and such were laced together using grommets and rope. I am not quite sure what that would look like in this application. For esample during the Civil War tents were carried in two parts. They were laced together as the soldiers paired up in camp. Perhaps a look at some historical re-enacting would provide some mind bumps for you.
    I thought of the grommet/rope lace trick, but dismissed it because I don't want to add holes to my tarps. I figured a simple ring/ bar attachment like this:

[IMG][/IMG]

WHY CAN'T I EVER GET AN INLINE IMAGE!!!
    Last edited by fin; 07-01-2008 at 19:55.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    [QUOTE=FishinFinn;66740]I thought of the grommet/rope lace trick, but dismissed it because I don't want to add holes to my tarps. I figured a simple ring/ bar attachment like this:

I couldn't quite follow the drawing. The reason I suggested a trip to a re-enactment is because I also was concerned about adding holes. I wondered what they did "back then" to make the joints more water tight. I don't have the answer, but I can't imagine them sleeping in what amounts to a sieve. I so far as your diagram is concerned, my first thought on looking at it would to simplify the attachment with a ring/buttonhole arrangement/ The ring on the main tarp and the button hole on the flap. Then a rope can be run down through the rings to secure the arrangement. It still presents some additional holes and some gaps for water/wind to get thru, but not as much hardware and possibly a tighter fit on the corners.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I thought of the grommet/rope lace trick, but dismissed it because I don't want to add holes to my tarps. I figured a simple ring/ bar attachment like this:
    I couldn't quite follow the drawing. The reason I suggested a trip to a re-enactment is because I also was concerned about adding holes. I wondered what they did "back then" to make the joints more water tight. I don't have the answer, but I can't imagine them sleeping in what amounts to a sieve. I so far as your diagram is concerned, my first thought on looking at it would to simplify the attachment with a ring/buttonhole arrangement/ The ring on the main tarp and the button hole on the flap. Then a rope can be run down through the rings to secure the arrangement. It still presents some additional holes and some gaps for water/wind to get thru, but not as much hardware and possibly a tighter fit on the corners.
    Yeah, I'm at work, so I apologize about the drawing. You are getting what I'm talking about, even if I'm doing a bad job of explaining it. The ring/buttonhole or ring/bar is basically the same thing, just one creates holes, the ring/bar are sewn externally to the opposing tarp panels. You slide the bar (which is like the button) through the ring (which becomes the buttonhole in this case.) The panels are overlapped enough by the seam that when you apply the pressure/pull of the guy lines or ties, it causes the tarps to seal by the outward force. Does that make sense?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Disclaimer: The following is personal opinion only and is not refelctive of anything other than a quick thought process in my own warped mind.

For _ME_ (note disclaimer) the bar seems more awkward in that I would need to work blind if you will. I other words, I can not directly see the connection as I want to make them. I don't do that very well. Secondly, there is a looseness inherent in that technique which bothers me. If the ring is passed through the buttonhole then line can be lashed around the ring tightening the joint before it is passed on to the next ring. Thirdly I tend to trust holes I intentionally make more than holes that happen accidentally. The ring/buttonhole means only one item to be torn off in a sudden gust. The bar could potentially be two, while the grommet eyelet system has no hardware to tear a hole unless the grommet tears out.

I tried to quickly look up tent construction for historic re-enacting and could not find any easily. Any body with re-enacting experience out there have any insights on make the laced tents mor wotertight?

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Disclaimer: The following is personal opinion only and is not refelctive of anything other than a quick thought process in my own warped mind.

For _ME_ (note disclaimer) the bar seems more awkward in that I would need to work blind if you will. I other words, I can not directly see the connection as I want to make them. I don't do that very well. Secondly, there is a looseness inherent in that technique which bothers me. If the ring is passed through the buttonhole then line can be lashed around the ring tightening the joint before it is passed on to the next ring. Thirdly I tend to trust holes I intentionally make more than holes that happen accidentally. The ring/buttonhole means only one item to be torn off in a sudden gust. The bar could potentially be two, while the grommet eyelet system has no hardware to tear a hole unless the grommet tears out.
    I have similar reservations about it, which is why I'm floating it here before I go through the work. Maybe the way you suggested is the way to go. With the ring on the main tarp, and the buttonhole underneath, the hole isn't as much of a factor. And I do like the idea of running a cord through the rings to strengthen the attachment. Now that I look at your idea, it is structurally more sound. See, that's why we float these things. I never claimed I was right, just that I was looking for some other way to attach besides velcro or zippers. The only other requirement is that it is lightweight. Good call, RamblinRev. Sometimes you can stare at something for hours and days, and someone comes along and says "Hey, idiot - tweak this instead", and it all falls into place. Tunnel vision.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    heh... for that matter... why not use buttons instead of rings? Self fastening, no need for the ropes and the button will cover the vast majority of the buttonhole if sized correctly. Doink.... I think think that's the direction I would go.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    heh... for that matter... why not use buttons instead of rings? Self fastening, no need for the ropes and the button will cover the vast majority of the buttonhole if sized correctly. Doink.... I think think that's the direction I would go.
    But then you lose the option of threading the rings for extra support. I'll try both ways. Ugh! I'm going to have to learn to buttonhole!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    if you can bartack you can buttonhole.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast