WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Sewing machine FEET

So my wife Lil' Princess and I have been working on a few projects together; Hammock, tarp and Dog tent. Yes a Dog tent, and I was thinking about all the different types of stitches and widths that we are working with. We really have to sewing feet that we have and I was wondering what you guys use for feet. If you can please post a picture and description of how it is used.

IF there is already a thread on this topic please referr it to me and we can work with that one. Thanks for the Help

What are they and how exactly are you suppose to use them. Thanks
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I've not seen one quite like the one on the top of the picture but with the adjustable tension on it it, I'd guess it's a type of ruffler - not something you'll get a lot of use out of with hammock gear construction...

The bottom one is what's called a 'general purpose foot'....you can use it for most things including the zig-zag stitch used when you're making tree huggers.

The other two most useful feet are a 'straight stitch' style and a zipper foot.

The straight stitch foot allows you to use the left side as a 1/4" measure and the right side as an 1/8" guide. The zipper foot adjusts so that you can go up each side of a zipper on the manufacturers 'insertion' line without arguing with the zipper.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Not sure what the top foot is. I have a cheap Wally World Brother machine, and the only extra foot I bought was a zipper foot, I don't know if this is the exact one, but very close........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Top foot is for doing different widths of hem. You can adjust the width with the screw.
    The right side of the foot acts as a guide. That foot probably does a 1/4" to 3/4" wide hems. Other feet are available. But they all take a bit of fiddlin'.
    Some are more hassle than they are worth, especially for gear making. The other foot looks like your basic all purpose foot.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Top foot is for doing different widths of hem. You can adjust the width with the screw.
    The right side of the foot acts as a guide. That foot probably does a 1/4" to 3/4" wide hems. Other feet are available. But they all take a bit of fiddlin'.
    Some are more hassle than they are worth, especially for gear making. The other foot looks like your basic all purpose foot.
    Thank you for identifying that foot at the top of the pic -now that I look at it with knowledge, I can see how it works. I've always just had a set of hemmers that each did their own sized hem, never had or seen an adjustable one!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Unless I'm doing zig zag stitching (bar tacks), I have quit using a universal foot and needle plate in favor of a straight stitch foot and needle plate.

I found the wider slot in the universal setup allowed enough movement of some tough to punch through nylons to cause skipped stitches when going over humps formed by multiple roll hems overlapping or webbing rolled into the nylon.

Straight stitch foot and needle plate...
    IMG_3549 (Medium).JPG

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Or simulate to stimulate

Simulate the benefits by affixing tape to the underside of the default zig-zag foot. Use enough layers so the tape across the slot is stiff.
    Install a large lubricated needle and penetrate the tape. Work the needle to enlarge it just a bit. Remove the foot to douse the exposed adhesive with talc or otherwise kill as much exposed adhesive as you can.
    Reinstall the foot and sew.
    Hope the simulation of a straight stitch foot stimulates you to find the real thing, which will be infinitely more reliable for serious sewing.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    I've found the hemming roller foot to be very useful in the hammock projects so far. Get the one for your machine, as the generic ones from EBay that say they work for your brand might not.
    I have both and when you put them side by side they look the same. But the one from Brother works and the generic one does not.
    Practice with some scraps and it gets easy to use.
    An example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROTHER-2-MM...item53ed3fb05e
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I have not tried many of my fancy feet on slippery stuff like sil-nylon, but here are the feet I use most often.

Straight stitch foot with straight stitch throat plate: keeps the machine from 'eating' your project.

Narrow straight stitch rolled hem foot. I should try this on the the demon silnylon some time. There are zigzag versions of this but I don't have one.

My new toy, a narrow run and fell foot (flat felled seams).

Overlock foot. One of my machines (I have three, no sergers) will emulate an overlock stitch - useful for finishing seams on woven material or for stitching jersey or stretchy stuff together and keeping the stretch. The foot has a little pin sticking forward over which the stitches are formed: keeps them from pulling to tight.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Unless I'm doing zig zag stitching (bar tacks), I have quit using a universal foot and needle plate in favor of a straight stitch foot and needle plate.

I found the wider slot in the universal setup allowed enough movement of some tough to punch through nylons to cause skipped stitches when going over humps formed by multiple roll hems overlapping or webbing rolled into the nylon.

Straight stitch foot and needle plate...
    IMG_3549 (Medium).JPG
    What do you mean by needle plate. Total noob on various parts of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    I have not tried many of my fancy feet on slippery stuff like sil-nylon, but here are the feet I use most often.

Straight stitch foot with straight stitch throat plate: keeps the machine from 'eating' your project.

Narrow straight stitch rolled hem foot. I should try this on the the demon silnylon some time. There are zigzag versions of this but I don't have one.

My new toy, a narrow run and fell foot (flat felled seams).

Overlock foot. One of my machines (I have three, no sergers) will emulate an overlock stitch - useful for finishing seams on woven material or for stitching jersey or stretchy stuff together and keeping the stretch. The foot has a little pin sticking forward over which the stitches are formed: keeps them from pulling to tight.
    Thank you all for helping out on this. I am looking to make a tarp for my wife and this is really helping. you guys have given me a few things to look for.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast