Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    What's the easiest way to map this out so I know how far of a drive it is? How far would the hike in be?

Not sure if we're (my son or myself) would be ready for this honestly but it'd be good to have the info just in case.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Might resend the cave idea then. I want nothing to do the horse camp and the majority of its patrons.
    Love horses but when we hiked near there before we had some issues with owners not playing well with others.
    No offense intended. Just twice shy from my experience.

What about Nebo then? Pines thursday night then browning hill Friday, brown or black hollow Saturday. Good hikes, good scenery, lots of trees.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    What's the easiest way to map this out so I know how far of a drive it is? How far would the hike in be?

Not sure if we're (my son or myself) would be ready for this honestly but it'd be good to have the info just in case.
    Charles C Deams Wilderness

There is the PDF version of the map.

It depends on what area you are trying to get too. The Terrill ridge cemetary is pretty much a straight easy shot north of the fire tower/Hickory Ridge trail head parking, it is a service road for most of the hike so it is very easy. 2 miles per the wilderness map, my GPS had the cemetery at about 2.2 miles.

Patton cave (assuming it is where I think it is), is closer to 3. But you can cut off a lot if you shoot up the stream bed when the trail first crosses it, just west of the horse camp (Blackwell horse camp).

For Deams it is right off of 446, which depending on where you are coming from, branches south off of 46 on the east side of Bloomington just take 446 south for a few miles and you will see the sign for the Charles Deams Wilderness, or look for Tower Ridge Road; Or you can take some back roads off of 65 out of Columbus/Seymour, but for Deams I think coming out of Bloomington is the fastest (or if coming from the south, 65 to SR50 to 446 (Knightsridge Rd north to Tower Ridge Road).

At everyone else, if there is room for other hang sites, there are some great sites on the peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeHiker View Post
    Might resend the cave idea then. I want nothing to do the horse camp and the majority of its patrons.
    Love horses but when we hiked near there before we had some issues with owners not playing well with others.
    No offense intended. Just twice shy from my experience.

What about Nebo then? Pines thursday night then browning hill Friday, brown or black hollow Saturday. Good hikes, good scenery, lots of trees.
    I'm always up for Nebo, the biggest issue is water being sporadic.

EDIT: We could always park at the Grubb Ridge trail head and take the Peninsula trail to the cave. The cave is off the trail a bit. It would a 5ish mile hike.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Then I'm back to Terrell cemetery and settling for day hikes.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Is Patton cave the one at where saddle creek dumps into Monroe? That is a pretty neat little cave. I'd be in for that as well. It is not much farther then hiking to Terrell ridge/pond, plus there is ample parking at the horse camp.

I do not recall any "great" spots for a group to hang around the cave though. There is a largish pine grove on the ridge/hill top directly above (east) of the cave, or west of the peninsula trail once it climbs back up the ridge out of the stream bed. That is a pretty nice area, but you will likely get a lot of horse traffic if you hang right of the trail. Also depending on how much it rains between now and then, the water right around where Saddle creek dumps in can be pretty murky/mucky, depending on how you like your water to taste; you/we may need to walk north up the bank a ways to get “cleaner” water.

@ Rolloff I am still planning on being there, the only issue is that I must come back on Saturday (evening probably) because it is my daughters birthday on Sunday, that is the only part set in stone. Other wise it is dependant on whether I find a job between now and then, but I am planning on going on Thursday, I probably will not know 100% until the week of. If I do find something between now and then, I will be at least making a day trip to the area, just to hang out if nothing else so you will still have a ride back, assuming you do not mind coming back Saturday evening.
    I agree that cave trail would be thick with horses. and you cannot go into the cave anymore. they have closed it to protect the wildlife inside.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Is Patton cave the one at where saddle creek dumps into Monroe?

I do not recall any "great" spots for a group to hang around the cave though.

Also depending on how much it rains between now and then, the water right around where Saddle creek dumps in can be pretty murky/mucky, depending on how you like your water to taste; you/we may need to walk north up the bank a ways to get “cleaner” water.
    Yup, that's Patton Cave. I spent an overnight there two weekends ago. As for spots to hang, there are three campsites on the ridge, and then another one a little ways away from the cave, but visible from the other three. Assuming we got all of them, I'd say there's room for about 10-12 hangers.

You're right about the water in that part of Saddle Creek, but if you walk away from the lake a bit, there are some pools in the creek bed that are much cleaner.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Ouch. That's over a 4 hr drive for me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I would Prefer to not deal with horsemen (& women). Partly want to avoid what the horses do to the trail, but having seen what riders have done to trails that they KNOW they are not to go on,,,, I'm likely to say something, & I am NOT subtle by any stretch of anyone's imagination......
    Yea, even if those we meet are responsible riders, well I will try to behave.
    Just my $0.02.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was kinda psyched up to see the cemetary and ruins, but then I've never been there before. I totally understand if others want to go elsewhere. Nebo area would be fine with me, I can pack in the water, and it was beautiful 2 weekends ago. The stonehenge is always a cool place for an evening campfire. OTOH, it would be nice to be shown some other places in that area.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm OK with whatever is decided by those who know the area best. I'm just looking forward to getting out in the woods for a weekend with some old and new friends.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    In some ways I am sorry I asked the questions about where we are going. Every time we have gotten together we have had fun, no matter what. I am leaning on going to the cemetery then asking what everyone wants to do from there. It will be so good to see you, all of you.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast