Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Why are Hammockers so creative?

I've been hammocking for 5-6 yrs, but fairly new to this forum. I've always been a do it yourselfer but I'm thoroughly impressed with the ingenuity of all you folks. (I'm also very impressed with the sharing that goes on here...without any sniping or harse words that I've seen so far!)

Back to my original thought, Why are Hammockers SO creative? Is it because it's a farily new (in some respects) to mainstream use and as such still has a way to go before it reaches critical mass? Is it because the very nature of Hangers as adventurous people that they like to push the envelope of creativity in their quest to lighten their load? Is it the continuous stream of new materials and products that drive change and therefore development?

It would appear that Hammocking has gotten more men to learn to sew than almost anything else I can think of! (Well, maybe camping equipment as a whole may also be a prime mover, but it seems that much of that development comes from the companies?) Hammocking seems to be driven by a burgeoning cottage industry of people who come up with some incredibly creative solutions and then go about making the product themselves and offering it to an almost cult-like following here. (I mean cult-like in the kindest of terms) Hammocking seems to have it's own language and reading here...it's own set of acronyms!

So before I answer my own questions...
    4 dog

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There seems to be a lot of people that tinker & they go, "what if I tried...."

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    Regarding hanging: I am not creative.

I spend the majority of my time away from my "pay the bills" job with my wife and two kids, working two other volunteer positions and running a Disc Golf group. I don't really have time to tinker, but I will gladly pay someone else for their ingenuity.
    When it seems like the night will last forever
    And there's nothing left to do but count the years
    When the strings of my heart start to sever
    And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears
    I will walk alone by the black muddy river
    And dream me a dream of my own
    -Jerry

Images
    i don't think "cult-like" is not a good term (even in the kindest of terms). People that ride Harley's don't let Honda Davidson riders in their group and are viewed as a cult. Hammockers have been looked at as uppity and looking down (pardon pun) on tenters, but this IS NOT the case and should never be. we welcome all types of camping at our hangs.

the people here are creative and need to be to be. most of the stuff was not sold 5 years ago. i remember when webbing and rings were the cats meow.

times change. as far as lightening load the tarp tenters got a jump on us years ago. we are just now getting there.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I think creativity comes from challenges. In the case of the hammock, it's an old way of sleeping. Trick is to make it better, more comfortable, useful and warmer. The day I found out that you can actually lay flat in a hammock (on my first visit to HF), I went in search of one. Along the way, I ran into the folks that make hammock camping state of the art like Professor Hammock, Dutch and Shug. The list gets longer every day and I have now just acquired a micro weight, extra long, over 5 ft wide hammock from some new cottage vendors.

I'm also impressed with the way this site is run. It's a mecca of information and knowledge paired with respect and good manners. A rarity on the interweb.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    I'm also impressed with the way this site is run. It's a mecca of information and knowledge paired with respect and good manners. A rarity on the interweb.
    Hear hear. Thank you all for the good, clean fun!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    I don't really have time to tinker, but I will gladly pay someone else for their ingenuity.
    Amen to that....but I do enjoy the free creative advice of others here on the forums

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Hammockers never stop seeking perfection. This is why everybody on this forum always shares their creatitivity, trips, experiences, and new ideas with everybody here. Ever notice how anxious everybody here is willing to help each other out? Its Fantastic!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    It's because of the trees

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Enough good things cannot be said about the folks on this forum and it's moderators. As others more eloquent than me have said, "Hammock Forums is my Facebook."

It's an educational hub, a social hub, a get out in the fresh air hub, etc, etc. it's a Welcome Center for hammockers and those just curious about hammocks.

The sub-title of this forum should be, "The friendliest place on the Internet "
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast