Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I had the same problem this weekend. It rained the entire weekend, Friday was fine and going into Saturday there was some water traveling my tarp RL cuz I was too lazy to add a drip line. But like you I had the misting and woke up with my bag completely soaked! I want to believe it was misting but condensation is definitely a possibility. Curious how people solve the problem, if there is a solution to condensation besides just more venting!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

the fog bank we were in allowed no venting, if you slept in the open you'd been soaked too like the picnic table beside us.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roe Ring View Post

My tarp was pitched quite low with pullouts on both sides. The hammock RL was only inches away from the tarp RL and I have to admit, I was a bit too close to the inside of the tarp, but nothing was touching.

I slept great and was toast warm with temps down to around 4*c and only the slightest breeze, but whilst I was lying there contemplating getting up for a coffee in the morning, it started pouring again. The rain was coming straight down and hard, causing small droplets to fly of the inside of the tarp. It felt like a tingling on my face and was soon visible on top of my TQ. Within ten minutes I was thinking that this could be a show stopper on a multi day trip, because my gear was getting a soaking.................

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodaking View Post
    I had the same problem this weekend. It rained the entire weekend, Friday was fine and going into Saturday there was some water traveling my tarp RL cuz I was too lazy to add a drip line. But like you I had the misting and woke up with my bag completely soaked!....
    Completely soaked? Could you tell if the moisture actually got past your bags shell and into the down, if it was down?

Anyway, this is not a good thing, is it? Not that big a deal probably for an over nighter. But on a longer trip with little sunshine, if you have to pack up and go each day, and if you were pushing the temp limits of your insulation, and particularly if that insulation was down, that could turn miserable. It would be helpful to figure out exactly what the problem is, though to me it sound as though first the condensation occurs, then the pounding of the rain makes the condensed drops rain down inside the tarp. Especially if all was bone dry after heavy rains before you got in?

I have used a JRB tarp for years, and have never had a drop of rain get through during some deluges and/or all night. No misting noted. Same with a Mac Cat Deluxe I had and even an HH diamond tarp. OTOH, I have had tons of condensation form under the tarp and even on an UQ, even with the set up unoccupied! But only in the back yard, never in the field so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    the fog bank we were in allowed no venting, if you slept in the open you'd been soaked too like the picnic table beside us.
    Another bad situation.

Hammock
    BIAS ww-switchback-WBRR
    Tarp
    tadpole
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies,strap
    Misting aside,humidity and the resulting condensation seem to always be a problem.Saturated air,residual ground moisture and body generated moisture are tough issues,especially for down lovers.Living in the PNW,East and SE can be challenging for multiday excursions with down.I seem to generate a fair amount of moisture at night,which causes condensation within the outer area of the down in a TQ/bag on nights when the temps are in the 30s and below.As BillyBob suggested,this could become unconfortable[even serious] if you can't dry it out.In tent camping,a double wall is effective against air and ground condensation.In another thread ,Knotty wrote that some mountaineers stuff their sleepingbags in the morning to press the wet air out of the down. Vapor barriers were designed to deal with human generated moisture,but can be unconfortable. [I have no experience with them].Since I refuse to give up my down,I'm going to invest in a hammock sock to deal with the first two problems and hope for sunshine.Campfires [for drying] always seemed too risky for me.Alas,multiday trips are a growing rarity for me.

Images
    our silnylon is waterproof to 2000mm which is more than enough to avoid actual misting.

like others have said about condensation... hanging close to the top of the tarp, possibly having the doors closed when they should be somewhat open (depends on how windy it is) along with high humidity and cold temps all probably played a part in having condensation. in general you want the doors open some to allow venting unless it's very windy.

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I hope its not my tarp! I just got this baby a month ago and used it a dozen times. I wonder if it was indeed condensation and I believe I had the setup close to my hammock so I will have to go out when it rains again and set it up a little differently. I wonder if I had it on an angle? Like what if I put one end higher then the other, that way the water travels down and drip off the side while hot air leaks out the higher end? Just a thought

Btw billybob I have a synthetic sleeping bag as a temporary substitute and it soaked down pretty good, probably almost to the core if I hadn't ditched and went inside.

Images
    delete double post, see next post.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-15-2012 at 20:18.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodaking View Post
    I hope its not my tarp! I just got this baby a month ago and used it a dozen times. I wonder if it was indeed condensation and I believe I had the setup close to my hammock so I will have to go out when it rains again and set it up a little differently. I wonder if I had it on an angle? Like what if I put one end higher then the other, that way the water travels down and drip off the side while hot air leaks out the higher end? Just a thought

Btw billybob I have a synthetic sleeping bag as a temporary substitute and it soaked down pretty good, probably almost to the core if I hadn't ditched and went inside.
    That's a pretty bad soaking. Were you frozen? Did it take long to dry?

Did your down UQ get very wet?

What about you guys testing your tarps with a water hose? I've done that several times over the years - mainly to check seam sealing. Just set it up on a nice sunny day in the back yard and have some one go at it with a hose, set the sprayer at different patterns like fine spray or jet etc. Get under the tarp while someone gives your tarp what for. Look for misting and/or leaks. If you get nothing coming through - and I never have so far with my JRB - then the problem must be condensation. Watch for water running in on any ridge lines.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-15-2012 at 20:17.

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That's a pretty bad soaking. Were you frozen? Did it take long to dry?

Did your down UQ get very wet?
    Well it was like 40 degrees so no, and synthetic stays warm regardless so I was actually quite warm

I threw it up in my room and it dried in a few hours. I have yet to order an undercover for my UQ so it got a lil wet on the outside, but it remained dry in the quilt and the inner layer(the one against the hammock) was dry. I didn't have any water on my hammock or hammock RL just the sleeping bag and tarp. Inside of tarp was quite soaked when I got home later that day and a dead limb crashed on top which caused the tarp to "stick" to my hammock. Now I want it to rain so I can test it!

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Well it is waterproof as it has survived rain but maybe the constant rain eventually "soaked" the tarp, inviting the mist? I had this with my kelty noah's tarp 12. I hate the feel of the silnylon after rain and that "soaked" feeling. I wonder if Cuben fiber will be my next tarp

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast