View Poll Results: Which underquilt would you choose and why? [multiple choices available]

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3/4 20*

49 40.16%
  • 3/4 0*

9 7.38%
  • FL 20*

44 36.07%
  • FL 0*

28 22.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Another question though. Considering the coldest weather I have slept in was around 20*(I used a synthetic sleeping bag to wrap up in), could I actually go to 0 in a zero uq and tq? Or would I have to use a pad as well?
    1st, People vary greatly, that's the problem with ratings. 2nd, let's face it. UQs can be tricky. There are an awful lot of people around here who have started threads where they are having trouble getting within 10 or 20* of the ratings of very high quality UQs. While others have no trouble at all. Though they may not have any trouble with top warmth. These UQs really require a perfect fit for the hammock and user with NO drafty leaks around the edges and no gaps under you. Actually, the same thing applies to a TQ as far as drafts go.

So even if you are a warm to average sleeper, who can easily do 0F on the ground with a pad and high quality sleeping bag rated to 0F, it is really hard to say if you will be able to pull it off with a TQ and UQ rated at 0F.

But, not trying to discourage you, because many a person has slept warm at or even below the ratings. In fact, I myself have done it, although I had a real hard time at first making a sleeping bag get anywhere near it's rating when using it as a TQ. Drafts got me every time. But I do much better now, whether with a bag or actual TQ.

So, if you are an average to warm sleeper, I think you can indeed go to zero with a zero rated UQ + TQ. But, you better not have even a small draft, or you can forget it. And Oh yes, don't forget head warmth. A lot of the rating of a sleeping bag is obtained by a draft free closure, with neck collars and a nice thick hood that can close down to a small breathing hole. If you try to do the same temps with a similarly rated TQ but without equivalent head/neck warmth, you won't do so well.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-18-2012 at 00:18.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Images
    3/4 for lighter weight; 0 degree for long-distance hikes in the spring and fall; or cold weather hangs, since I don't current have such a set up.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I have a 3/4 DIY ~ 20 deg quilt that I love. But when it is cold ( <40), I have to get something down in the foot end. To me this is a bit of a PITA. I've used an inflatable sit pad (too small-I move around a lot at night), A larger piece of foam - better but didn't pack so well, olded coats, coats zipped around the hammock. All of these worked OK, but I am always wishing I could just hang a full length and be done with it, no fuss, no adjustments, no 2am reconfiguring, no dirty pads in the hammock, etc. I will eventually make a full length UQ, probably just a little warmer to better round out the collection. 40 and above, and I don't worry so much. My UQ foot box + a little something will usually take care of it.

2 cent meter: EXPIRED
    jason

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    what is your temp range?
    i used my 0d Incubator all year-long in NH.. temps as high as 65 and was very comfortable but i am a cold sleeper. I varied my covers b/t a fleece blanket and a light weight sleeping bag.
    ok i saw your temps 0-45--->>i would get a 0deg FL Incubator and just adjust how tight you crank the shock cords.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Full length 0 degree. Would rather have more than enough insulation to prevent the worst case scenario of CBS...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Well, I don't have one yet but after reading through this thread I would definitely go with 0* full length. Seems like this would work between 0 and 40 then when it's over 40 switch to your PluQ. I say it's a no brainer! I am sending a note to Santa as soon as finish typing thi

Hammock
    My DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    HG 20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    straps
    It depends on how cold you go to. I know with Hammock Gear with a 20 degree 3/4 uq you can get to about 15.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by philszone95 View Post
    Well, I don't have one yet but after reading through this thread I would definitely go with 0* full length. Seems like this would work between 0 and 40 then when it's over 40 switch to your PluQ. I say it's a no brainer! I am sending a note to Santa as soon as finish typing thi
    This is definitely the direction I am swinging, I actually already have a shopping cart full at unsaid website, waiting for a black friday sale...also have a tq in my cart as well. I think the main persuasion was given by mountnman. He was clear and concise with his reasonings, so much thanks to him.

I hope you managed to get the santa note completed, as you left us hanging by a letter and some puncuation on your post...It's like that was more important than what you had to say here. Good luck on your xmas gift.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by mp3prozac View Post
    Full length 0 degree. Would rather have more than enough insulation to prevent the worst case scenario of CBS...
    That was my thought as well, but I wanted some opinions to back it up. I will be going with the 0 full more than likely unless someone convinces me otherwise with the knee gaps experienced on full length underquilts.......
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling/diy
    I went with the ¾ 20* with an extra oz. of over stuff. The lowest I have taken this was 21* and could have gone lower. This is my first and only UQ (for now) and I was concerned about taking it on a trip where I knew the temps would dip that low. No problems!!! The reason for the ¾ was that I knew that I would want to pack lite in the spring and fall and this was the best all-around quilt for my uses. It really just comes down to what you want and how you plan on using the quilt.

Whatever you choose…..you’re going to love it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast