Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Blackbird Topcover

So I've been playing around with a topcover for the BB, and I have made one of these, as well as cutting out a pattern for future clones.

I will be posting instructions soon (my first 10 pics are stuck on the camera - the usb port is broken!), but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing around with this topcover and see how they like it. Me, I like a full sock instead of a topcover; but for the gram weenie, this is MUCH lighter than a full sock, and accomplishes the task of holding in heat while still being breathable. It is 1.1 ripstop, untreated.

I won't be checking back in to HF until tomorrow (it is Valentines day, you know,) so if you PM me or post something in this thread tonight, don't expect an immediate response.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I think I like a full sock better too. I just bought some of this same material today to make a full sock with.

I think a full sock would protect you better then a top cover.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Shug wants to play under one!!!!!!!! Oh, pretty please Finn.....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I think I like a full sock better too. I just bought some of this same material today to make a full sock with.

I think a full sock would protect you better then a top cover.
    more protection yes, but if you're using a big tarp for proterction, the top cover is more for heat retention only, and would be much lighter than a full sock and still provide about the same amount of warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    more protection yes, but if you're using a big tarp for proterction, the top cover is more for heat retention only, and would be much lighter than a full sock and still provide about the same amount of warmth.
    So, Macat DLX/ full DWR sock or Superfly/SWT overcover only. I'll bet the weights wouldn't vary much.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    I agree but a top cover like that is going to collect condensation unless you have some type of ventilation.

What I am thinking and this is just a thought because I am no expert. If you have a sock and leave some gaps in each end to let air pass through then that should reduce the condensation buildup some. I have found so far that with a sock I stay a lot warmed as the sides of the BB and any other hammock are not 100% wind resistant. The sock is like a second layer to keep the cold winter winds out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I agree but a top cover like that is going to collect condensation unless you have some type of ventilation.

What I am thinking and this is just a thought because I am no expert. If you have a sock and leave some gaps in each end to let air pass through then that should reduce the condensation buildup some. I have found so far that with a sock I stay a lot warmed as the sides of the BB and any other hammock are not 100% wind resistant. The sock is like a second layer to keep the cold winter winds out.
    I'm hoping you are wrong about the condensation with the topcover, but I admit I haven't tried this model yet. Since it is untreated 1.1 ripstop, it should be very breathable. It will definitely not be as warm as a sock. It will definitely hold more heat in than just the bugnet. But a sock gives you a quick 10* boost in temp - within minutes if not immediately you can tell a differentce inside of the hammock. With a topcover , the heat gain is a little more gradual. IMO, A topcover is more for the 'tweener temps, when it is just not cold enough yet for the protection of a full blown sock, but you want to add a little boost. I view topcovers as 35*- 55* options. I'd want a sock below that, and nothing above that temp.

Hey Attroll, I do want that sock back eventually, so don't fall too in love with it. I'll make you another one before your thru - let's see, that gives me like a year, right? Glad to hear the sock has been a good experience for you. How's that thermadrape UQ doing, as well? I need to start working on the instructions for that also.

Oh, and BTW - the topcover was spoken for, so I no longer have one for testing. I'm finishing one more off, as I got two requests for testing. I will not be going into any kind of production with these, but if the testers find that they are adequate and work well, including the fit to the BB, I will post directions for all to copy. Heck, I may do it anyway, just so you DIY-ers can have one more project to play with. It also coincides with my BB sock instructions that I'm working on, so you can get an instructional two-fer.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Does anyone know how to get pics off the built-in memory of a camera if the only external connection on the camera is broken? I'll probably have to start all over with the pics - some of the critical pics got taken when I had the memory card removed, and the camera apparently has no way to move them from internal memory to the memory card. Delaying my instructions.

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Can you plug the camera straight into the computer via USB port and take directly from the camera?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Does anyone know how to get pics off the built-in memory of a camera if the only external connection on the camera is broken? I'll probably have to start all over with the pics - some of the critical pics got taken when I had the memory card removed, and the camera apparently has no way to move them from internal memory to the memory card. Delaying my instructions.
    Unless you can move them to a memory card.... I think you may be out of luck.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast