WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

preventing wicking in a claytor

I have a claytor no net coming in the mail in a few days. Ive been reading old forums and several people have mentioned water wicking down the webbing straps. is this true, and how do you prevent it?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    yes it is. i replaced my stock webbing straps w/ the ring buckle system

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I have a claytor no net coming in the mail in a few days. Ive been reading old forums and several people have mentioned water wicking down the webbing straps. is this true, and how do you prevent it?
    Just put a knot ( or two) in the webbing just outside the channels. For me and sonny boy, so far, end of problem.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    So..................its best to replace the suspension, but a couple of knots at the end of the stock suspension takes care of the wicking?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    So..................its best to replace the suspension, but a couple of knots at the end of the stock suspension takes care of the wicking?
    Well, you can certainly replace it, many have. We can always find a bit better suspension. But, yes, for at least 2 of us a couple of knots added on left plus right side of the channel stopped all water entry. And for me and at least one other, the stock Claytor suspension still works just fine. Actually, on mine, I have had a cinch buckle set up on the head end and stock on the other, for a year or two. Until about a month ago, I now have some whoopie slings on that set up.

Some folks have reported stretch problems, but not me ( 210 lbs) or my son, a bit heavier.

The easy and cheap way is to put some knots in and just use the Claytor suspension per Claytor's directions. Then, if needed or just for fun, replace with cinch buckles/carabiner or whoopies.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the great info! I definitely plan to put a new suspension on in the future, but Ive gone way over budget for the year on my hammock gear, so ill have to make do with the stock suspension for now.

--unknown

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I use the stock suspension on my Claytor. If you know how to tie simple knots it works good.

Images
    I can almost guarantee you one thing: if you use that stock Claytor webbing, with out some an extra overhand knot of 2 on each side, with a good all night rain you are going to be soaked! I don't think a drip line will help much in this case.

Another thing that might work, other than going to buckles or rings, is Snake Skins left stretched out over the length of the webbing. If you happen to have some snake skins or feel like making some.

I'm surprised Claytor does not emphasize this requirement more on his web site.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Those extra overhand knots always kept the rain from soaking my hammock. I plan on using the Claytor not net hammock only during the cold snowy weather of the winter season.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 01-13-2010 at 22:11.

• + New Posts