Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear tq/uq

Do Hammock Gear under quilts fit HHs well?

I'm leaning toward buying a Hammock Gear Incubator 20° for use in my Hennessy Hyperlight Zip or in the Cub Zip when my daughter is along for the trip. Just want to make sure it will fit well.

Anybody have experiences with that combo or know of a more ideal quilt for our purposes?

We do overnight backpacking/ hiking/ peak bagging stuff. It got down to 20° Friday night in the San Jacinto Mountains and we got tired of wrestling with sleeping bags and sliding pads.

Eventually I want a top quilt/ under quilt combo for both of us, but for financial reasons, I'm just doing one at a time, unless there was an awesome discount for 4 pieces purchased at once.
    Last edited by Damian; 02-13-2014 at 21:25. Reason: I originally wrote Ultralight Zip but I actually have a Hyperlight Zip.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    I've got a HG Phoenix 3/4 on my HH Explorer Deluxe. It takes a little fiddling, but it fits fine. My HH is bottom entry. The 3/4 length makes that a little awkward to get into and get the UQ situated right. I also have a WB 2/3 length Yeti. I think I prefer that length for a bottom entry HH because it lines up with the opening better.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock & Garda
    Hi Damian,

I've used the HH Supershelter down into the teens using extra layers and thermal blankets. The modularity may aid in transitioning from the backpacker to the cub, though I imagine you'll need to mod the Super Shelter to manage any gap from the Cub being smaller. Though I would guess that would be the same story for any UQ you plan on using on both hammocks. A lateral shock cord from tie out to tie out of the hammock, under the Super Shelter should do the trick. However, the proprietary system should cut down on the fiddle factor since you're already in a Hennessy Hammock.

Images
    They are compatible. It helps to have someone who is knowledgable with UQs dial it in as you lay in a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    I didn't take into account how much smaller the cub is. You may find the HG is better than the Yeti because it is more customizable to the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear tq/uq
    Thanks, guys. After reading cochinchine's post, I went back and watched the HH Supershelter videos again, and am liking the idea of a less expensive way to keep warm and dry underneath without having to get a bigger tarp or buy an additional sock beyond an already expensive under quilt purchase.

I'm going to take some time, watch this thread for more input, do more homework, and then decide.

Thank you guys for your help. Both, those that already posted and those that have yet to offer advice.

Images
    I have a HH Expl and use a 20° Incubator with it. It is perfect for me. I would recommend getting some quilt hooks from Dutchware. They have made all the difference in the "fiddle factor" on my UQ. I don't leave home without them. Redirects the pull so it snugs up nice from the git go and all I have to do is check for gaps at the end. No fuss no muss.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I use the 0* incubator (full length) on my hennessy. I have the bottom entry but it's no big deal, move the quilt aside, get in, pull in feet, and reach through hole to get it situated (if it hasn't popped into place on its own). Its pretty easy to get it situated on your hammock from the inside if you have an issue - the sides are easy to grab through the hammock fabric. I have a HG top and bottom quilt set, best investment ever!

It's even easier on an eno. Without the side tie outs it wraps around very neatly, and of course if it shifts or something when you get in, just reach outside and grab.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH Backpacker Ultralite
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Zpacks 10/HG Incb
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just got my Incubator 20* w/ 2 oz OF on Friday afternoon. I kissed my wife good night and went out side to spend valentines day in my Hammock.
    It took maybe 5 minutes to get it dialed and I adjusted the left shoulder side once during the night.
    Temp 28, no wind +Zpacks 10* bag.
    I was toasty and very well pleased with how well it stayed put on foot end.
    Cant believe how much more comfortable I slept compared to the HH SS.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Incubator + HH Exp Deluxe = warm comfort.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast