Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape

Suquehannock Trail System PA Loop Hike 2009 May 8 - 16

I'll be doing my annual STS Suquehannock Trail System loop hike, 85 miles, this coming May. At this time I am planning on starting Saturday the 8th on to Sunday the 16th.

Happy to invite anyone along if you like to join me.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    got a link to the trail? vague interest as i'll be doing an AT section around that same time and i'll likely be killed by my gf if i join you.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have wanted to do the Susquehannock system in its entirety for years. But unfortunately I think my mobility issues would preclude my joining you. I can only manage about three miles a day now.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    got a link to the trail? vague interest as i'll be doing an AT section around that same time and i'll likely be killed by my gf if i join you.
    small amount of info here... It is a great trail. I've done parts of it as day hikes.

http://www.explorepatrails.com/singletrail.aspx?id=230

Here's the trail web site...

http://www.stc-hike.org/

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Swoosh

The new web site for the club should give most needed info. Still working out bugs on the site but its shaping up. Ramblinrev provided the link, thanks, but its also in my signature below.

The trail is nearly all in the forest but just a few miles out of the 85 utilize old rail road beds and jeep trails to link up some sections. I do trail work on the STS and will be out on it the next couple months. This hike lets me wander without having to paint blazes etc But this trip I'll be taking gps waypoints and detailing some rerouting that has taken place over the years. We are trying to put together accurate maps for the web site.

One point to make is that for anyone wanting to hike just a section I can shuttle you from another trail head point to the start. Example, its about 26 miles from the northern gateway to Ole Bull State Park. I can shuttle from the park to the northern starting point. That would give you a weekend out on the trail. Ole Bull sp also has showers etc if you want to be human again before your drive home. Just a thought.

Ramblinrev - understand the lower mileage. My wife has difficulty going any distance but does get out with me once in a while. If there is a section of the trail you would like to tackle and are going to be in the area let me know. Be happy to give it a go. In the fall the streams are low and water crossings are much easier. We could head on into the Hammersley from the south with no hill climbing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I've hunted in Potter County in the past. I enjoyed the area and the lay of the land. The Suquehannock Trail System Loop really looks to be something that I would enjoy doing. I would be interested in tagging along. Wife permitting and work load allowing. I'll check out the schedule and clear it with the other half. Pending approval I will post back here to get more details and particulars.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Popabear -

Good to hear from you. Hope you can join me.

I've picked an earlier start date this year. The black gnats have been bad later on in May the past two years. Typically up in the norther part of the county but hopefully the trek will be bug free and still warm enough for hanging without a heavy underquilt etc.

In the past I've hiked the loop in about 5 days. But this time around I will do 10 miles or so a day to get the whole trip in. I am in no hurry to get back to working on the house and cars etc

I'll probably set up carrying only 4 days of food at a time. So anyone thinking of coming, I can have a food delivery made part way into the trip. The family enjoys helping out and can meet us on a road crossing somewhere.

Bye the way - I'll have my old beat up SPOT device along as my wife always follows my progress on a map at home. For anyone coming I can add an email to the SPOT delivery list if you like.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    cant do the hike but curious to if the STS uses the AT as part of the loop or is it anywhere close?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    cant do the hike but curious to if the STS uses the AT as part of the loop or is it anywhere close?
    Nowhere even close....

Whole different part of the state.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Hobbit,
    My other half has given me the nod, As of now there is nothing on the radar at work. So it is a go for me. I have done a little poking around the STC website. I see by looking at the trail system overview map. That I am somewhat familiar with the terrain and parts of the trail system. A few years back I deer hunted for two seasons. From a camp on East Fork Road. A few miles out of Wharton. So I have been on Wild Boy Trail and probably some of the others that are part of the Susquehannock Trail System. I still have my Topo Maps of the area. They will cover at least part of the trail system. I will be coming from Southern Maryland. Will the trail head that you plan to start from. Be secure enough to leave my truck for the duration of the trip? I'm sure as time rolls on I will have a few more questions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast