Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images

Silnyl Seepage - Roan Mt. rain

I have made several tarps out of $1 bin coated ripstop and tested like SilNyl. I have used some of these tarps for over a year or so without any problems. However, this weekend at Roan Mountain, TN., the weather dished up more rain than sun on us and I got wet for the first time since being above ground. Did I mention the rain? One tarp actually soaked through. One tarp weeped to the point when it came in contact with the hammock, it soaked about half the hammock and one held fine. By the way, did I mention the rain? It had typical condensation but the hammock still stayed dry.

All together, 5 wet tarps of varying degrees and one dry one.

Now that the story is done, I would like to hear of anyone has had any like experiences with some of the $1 bin fabrics that tested like Silnyl.

My next shot is to attempt to recoat with some Scotchgard type product. What is your take on that?

Title should be Roan Mt.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TDunc; 07-29-2008 at 10:44. Reason: Title should be,
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

I dunno, I hope it works well. I'm in the middle of making a tarp with what seems like 1.9, coated polyester. Sheds water really well. $1 ripstop wally world.

There are some spots on it that look like the coating is worn off. I'll treat those with campdry or something similar before I take it out and use it.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    I've read on whiteblaze that the orange lid waterproofer from the camping dept. of Walmart does a good job. I used this to give a porous 1.1 from there a decent DWR coating. I tried it on a fabric that already had a good DWR coating & couldn't tell that it really helped any. Possibly because the coating prevented the waterproofer from getting into the pores & doing it's job. I would have to say trying the silicone waterproofing from this thread may be the best bet.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...light=silnylon
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    I've read on whiteblaze that the orange lid waterproofer from the camping dept. of Walmart does a good job.
    I used that stuff to seam seal my JRB Hammock Hut. Ed Speer also recommended using the WM spray to reseal the ridge line on their tarps. It works really well.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

maybe the fabric was just a tight weeve DWR fabric.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think Silicone seam sealer (sss) would tend to peel off of DWR. It sounds like you're not really sure what type of coating it has.

I think I'd try the spray DWR and then the spray Silicone sealant in (separate) unobtrusive corners of the material and see what happens (which seems to bond better).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    All good ideas so far.

I just don't know what happened to the material that it started the weeping. Have not had a problem with it up until now.

Anybody else had this kind of thing happen to them?

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    I have made several tarps out of $1 bin coated ripstop and tested like SilNyl. I have used some of these tarps for over a year or so without any problems. However, this weekend at Roan Mountain, TN., the weather dished up more rain than sun on us and I got wet for the first time since being above ground. Did I mention the rain? One tarp actually soaked through. One tarp weeped to the point when it came in contact with the hammock, it soaked about half the hammock and one held fine. By the way, did I mention the rain? It had typical condensation but the hammock still stayed dry.

All together, 5 wet tarps of varying degrees and one dry one.

Now that the story is done, I would like to hear of anyone has had any like experiences with some of the $1 bin fabrics that tested like Silnyl.

My next shot is to attempt to recoat with some Scotchgard type product. What is your take on that?

Title should be Roan Mt.

Thanks in advance.
    Question should be - what tarp held out of the 6 tarps? Or were they all the same exact fabric?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Question should be - what tarp held out of the 6 tarps? Or were they all the same exact fabric?
    All of the fabric tested the same before I made the tarps. The only difference is the color of some of them. The light grey, thinnest material was the one that held like normal. Dark greens weeped and medioum green was the one that soaked. Other than that, they, like I said earlier, the fabric tested the same by the burn test, the bag test and the shower head test.
    I can only figure that something is breaking down or I am doing something to them during storage.

Images
    Aare you sure it is sil? I have a ton of nights including some serious rains and my southbound AT hike on walmart sil. No problems other than the usual misting through sil has. Even after consistant nights of haning in the rain. The tarp was soaked and I don't always hang one side out or in.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast