Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Feel of Clark hammocks compared to others:

Clark body fabric seems heavier than than what others use, and there' less local stretch and sag than with 1.7oz fabric hmmks. Dream Hammock makes its Dangerbirds with 2.6oz polyester, and there have been favorable remarks some DIY'er who 2.8oz nylon from diygearsupply.com.(Wt penalty: Difference in fabric weights X 3.)

Quality and features:

No shortage of zippers and pulls on Clarks for two-side entry. Clark uses covered #5 zippers where some use smaller ones.

The hoods on the ends of all Clarks make sense to protect stowed gear, same as on most canoes, especially if the user sews in hooks or loops. Internal pockets are designed, triple stitched, and velcro-sealed.

Shouldn't every gathered end hammock have a strap sewn into the end to pull yourself up by?

-------
    Rip Waverly has been spending time with both size Clarks, including an NX 250. He has the advantage of having slept with all of the stars, famously loving and leaving them all. Maybe he'll report in text or video on his trials.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I don't own a clark, have never seen one, and probably wouldnt fit in one (due to my height) However, I think its a pretty neat design, and if you add up all the individual pieces of a "conventional" hammock rig (hammock, uq, tarp, whoopies etc) I think you'll be spending pretty close to what a clark costs! In my opinion, its not a bad deal, and its built pretty robust, so it should last you for a long time.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

this should be a sticky quote btw

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    The answer you get depends on where you ask the question. Maybe this should go in the General Hammock Talk sub-forum, where you'll hear from those who have other hammocks.

Since you asked about an NX-250: I have one because I could at the time, a previously owned one; but I'm about to sleep in a smaller body Clark tonite, by choice, or not too much sacrifice.

First, as with Hennessy, you buy a package: hammock, suspension, and tarp. Clark gets to its most expensive model, the NX-250, by building up features. For value you can appraise it by pricing components, pricing them as they come off.

First, the tarp. Not the biggest, but well made, so value it at $100. We're down to $330, including the zippered weathershield, a $60 feature. Take it away, and we're down to $270. The 6 sewn, elasticized, and velcro pockets. $60. Down to $210. Clark makes a line of hammocks with smaller bodies. Value the size as a $20 upgrade: Down to $190. Now the hoops to hold up the net and weather shield and make it all seem roomy, as a feature: $40. We're at $150 for a double side entry bug-netted, US Made hammock without compromise in zippers, nylon, or construction. Not very different from what the few other US maker charge for that.

Fans of other hammocks will snort that they get more for their money. If you don't have too much money, or if you are pretty certain a $30 hammock will make you happy and give you all you want, then the advocacy at the $150-$200 level is beside the point.

I just gave the feature-pricing schedule that results in a $430 NX-250 package. Off the bat, if you have no interest in the included rain fly, loving another, then on economic grounds the NX-250 is out. And the allowance Clark offers to leave it out, $50-$60 is too small. Also the pockets cost Clark to put on, but are of no value to many potential customers. But, the perception that Clark charges an arm and a leg is wrong, just as the charge that it is overly heavy is factually wrong. (You can sleep on a stretchier body and be comfortable. But, the firmness and durability of the Clark come at (a modest) weight penalty.
    even though this was a ruff guess on numbers im assuming close to but not perfect this would still make a good sticky on the top of the clark forums for newbs to grasp as moneys sometimes always a issue with higher end hammocks

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It would probably cut down on the number of times this question gets asked.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As I am still a relative noob here, I can only give you one more opinion. In saying that, please know that all opinions are exactly that.
    What is the "best" for some (or even many) as far as price worthiness, or more importantly comfort, can be and many times is, the worst to others. I too have asked many, many questions of the fine folks here regarding what is the "best" hammock as far as price, quality, value and comfort. What I found was, was that purchasing the perfect hammock for you, is much like purchasing any other item of a personal nature. For every person telling you "Oh,Such and Such hammock is the only thing you should ever allow to touch your body! It is clearly the greatest thing since the invention of bread!", there is another who would tell you he would rather lay on the ground than sleep in one of those kinds of hammocks (god forbid).
    In the past year, I have made a personal quest for my own "Holy Grail" of hammocks. I have learned many new lessons, and remembered a few old ones. Now, here comes the big "opinion" part of this. I have a Clark NX-250. I purchased one here on the forums. I didn't have the cash to lay out, and like you, was wondering if it was worth it. Unlike Demostix's experience, the member I bought mine from kept it pristine (thanks xloseNutx!).
    I found, for me, the NX-250 was one of the most comfortable, convenient, and quality made hammocks I own. It's the greatest thing since the invention of bread! (see what I mean?)
    I have tried many others, including most of the big names. There are a couple other hammocks which, again for me, came out on top. Now, will knowledge of this be of any value to you at all? My guess is probably not. No more than me telling you that my choice of car, food, or boxers/briefs is the best. It is all a personal journey. That's what makes finding your perfect hammock so much fun. Will the Clark be that perfect hammock for you based on price, comfort, etc.? Only you can know that. When you get one let me know. If it isn't, take a small loss and sell it here on the forums. Someone will buy it who thinks it is
    Good luck on your quest Brother.
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2new2hang View Post
    As I am still a relative noob here, I can only give you one more opinion. In saying that, please know that all opinions are exactly that.
    What is the "best" for some (or even many) as far as price worthiness, or more importantly comfort, can be and many times is, the worst to others. I too have asked many, many questions of the fine folks here regarding what is the "best" hammock as far as price, quality, value and comfort. What I found was, was that purchasing the perfect hammock for you, is much like purchasing any other item of a personal nature. For every person telling you "Oh,Such and Such hammock is the only thing you should ever allow to touch your body! It is clearly the greatest thing since the invention of bread!", there is another who would tell you he would rather lay on the ground than sleep in one of those kinds of hammocks (god forbid).
    In the past year, I have made a personal quest for my own "Holy Grail" of hammocks. I have learned many new lessons, and remembered a few old ones. Now, here comes the big "opinion" part of this. I have a Clark NX-250. I purchased one here on the forums. I didn't have the cash to lay out, and like you, was wondering if it was worth it. Unlike Demostix's experience, the member I bought mine from kept it pristine (thanks xloseNutx!).
    I found, for me, the NX-250 was one of the most comfortable, convenient, and quality made hammocks I own. It's the greatest thing since the invention of bread! (see what I mean?)
    I have tried many others, including most of the big names. There are a couple other hammocks which, again for me, came out on top. Now, will knowledge of this be of any value to you at all? My guess is probably not. No more than me telling you that my choice of car, food, or boxers/briefs is the best. It is all a personal journey. That's what makes finding your perfect hammock so much fun. Will the Clark be that perfect hammock for you based on price, comfort, etc.? Only you can know that. When you get one let me know. If it isn't, take a small loss and sell it here on the forums. Someone will buy it who thinks it is
    Good luck on your quest Brother.
    Holy Cow!! They invented bread!!! You mean I don't have to eat my peanut butter sandwich between two pieces of wheat grain!! Awesome!
    Anyhow, I agree their brother--its all a personal journey that is why there are other cars out there other than Toyotas--Its a personal preference.
    Happy hanging
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I don't own a clark, have never seen one, and probably wouldnt fit in one (due to my height) However, I think its a pretty neat design, and if you add up all the individual pieces of a "conventional" hammock rig (hammock, uq, tarp, whoopies etc) I think you'll be spending pretty close to what a clark costs! In my opinion, its not a bad deal, and its built pretty robust, so it should last you for a long time.
    how tall are you? m 6'6'' and i fit just fine, but i have the nx-200

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Answer: YES! I think my NX 150 is worth every PENNY. I sleep on my side, and this hammock meets my needs. I live in MN, I've NEVER been cold in my CLARK, and I've NEVER been wet in my CLARK. Upgrade the suspension to whoopie slings, get a Z-LINER ( If under 32 degrees ) and you're good to go.
    Want to see? http://www.youtube.com/user/Fishpig65

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Hudson River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Smile Clark NX-250

Well, I just ordered one and hope to have it in a few days. New to hammock camping and looking forward to a fun summer. I decided to go with a Clark after a friend, who is a Clark lover, stayed high and dry during a storm in the Adirondacks while the tents got soaked.

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think you will be pleased. I've used a few other rigs, but when I got my Clark I never looked back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast