Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images

Mrt 2010-12

BUUURRRRR!!! First cold weather trip of the year and first cold weather trip in about a decade. I spent three days and two nights on the Manistee River Trail in northern Michigan. Had a great time once I remembered how to camp in the snow...

Drove up on Monday excited to see the seasons first real snow fall. The area had received about 4-6 inches Sunday and had more in the forecast. I arrived at Seaton Creek TH and planned to hike into the same location the HF group hang did a Oct hang earlier this year.

Loaded the pack up and heading in. Temps in mid twenties so I was very comfortable hiking in. It was snowing pretty good on the way in and the hike took about two hours or so. I had some new gear with me to test out including boots, stove, and tarp.

Arriving at the camp I decided to head down into the pine stand below as it was quite windy on top of the hill. Down in the pine stand it was better sheltered from the wind. I started to unpack and get things set-up. First the tarp... Oh Boy... I'd purchase a Kelty 12 and had set it up a few times in the week proceeded the trip but never was too happy with it. Well, I wasn't very happy with the set-up this time either. But I went with it and got the rest off camp setup.

One thing I forgot about winter camping, KEEP HANDS AND GLOVES DRY!!!! Setting up in the snow I got my hands and gloves pretty wet, lucky for me I had a extra pair of liners to use after finishing setup but my hands were COLD!!! Made dinner, made a small fire, and turned in early 7:00 pm, not much to do in the woods after dark sets in...

First night it snowed all night long on and off, with poor tarp setup this created a few minor problems but nothing major. Temp got down to around 18* that night but I was fairly warm overall. Suffered from cold feet at some point, got up had a cup of hot choc and went back to bed. Woke up around 8:30 and got things moving. I found I was the coldest in the mornings to the point were my hands physically hurt.

I'd planned to do the whole loop but with my cold hands I figured I'd hike back towards the car and then head down stream on the MRT proper for a few miles and see how it goes. Once I got started things heated up nicely, I covered around 7-8 miles in fresh powder snow from 8-16" deep. BEAUTIFUL!!!! Temps in mid 20's and light snow most of the day.

Passed many small creeks and streams as well as several designated camp sites. I ended up staying about 1/4 mile north of Slagle Creek TH. Awesome site just north of large foot bridge over Slagle Creek. Setup camp and focused on setup of tarp, MUCH BETTER... Had plenty of daylight to waste so took several small hikes down trail as well as off the beaten path into the woods.

Dinner time came and I decided to fix a new meal I had brought. Flour shells, instant taters, cheese, bacon bits, and fried onions.... Fantastic after a long day on the trail. I did notice that the jetboil was taking longer and longer to boil water. Not a big deal I thought as I had a full fuel canister to start and it's good for 12 liters according the Jetboil.

After dinner filtered water with DIY gravity which I slept with the prevent freezing and decided to mess with tarp setup some more. Added trekking pole to one side and was happier with results.

Getting ready for an early bedtime I made a cup of hot choc... Thirty minutes later I had warm choc, UMMM.... Not looking good for jetboil, it wasn't brutally cold, around 18* again. Aways off to bed, another long nights sleep with light snow all around. woke up at one point and checked temp at 16*. Again, cold feet, but nothing earth shattering.

Woke up on day three, same start as day two... BURRRR!!! Started jetboil and off for a short hike to warm up some. Came back after fifteen minutes, water barely warm.... NOT HAPPY!!!! Checked fuel canister... Almost empty what the heck... It seems that at cold temps Jetboil has an issue with BTU output but still uses fuel at approximately same time related comsumption rate.... Made the desicion to bailout on the rest of the trip as it would be a cold couple of days with no hot food or drink.

Packed up and hiked out to Seaton Creek under beautiful skies fresh blanket of snow on my tracks in... Man, what a great trip ever if it got cut short....

New Equipment Verdict...

TARP - Passed with proper set-up
    BOOTS - Worked Great
    STOVE - FAILED great for warmer weather but I'll be dragging white gas stove next time...

Pics to come when I figure out how to insert into post...

For now here's gallery:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...hp?albumid=789

Last edited by sr1355; 12-10-2010 at 12:38.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Wow good for you! I am in the same boat. I stopped cold weather camping a long time ago... haven't camped below the 40's in at least 10 years.

This year I have been low 20's and loving the heck out of it. I just can't see going into the woods any other way than in a hammock!

Thanks for the report!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Nice report. What kind of boots did you get?
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks for the report. I really miss the snowy woods. How wonderful it all looks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    Very nice I can see houw you northern fellas like hiking and hanging in the snow. It takes a normal grey and gloomy woods and reallyt makes it nice.
    BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Fantastic pics. Looks like you figured out the tarp. First night looked like it was low with a lot of slack. Second night looked great. Almost like you had a tent.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Excellent report and pictures. Sounds like a good trip. You had a few gear issues but you adapted, overcame and learned a few things for your next trip. Good on Ya!
    Terry

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    Nice report. What kind of boots did you get?
    I picked up a pair of Merrels, not exactly a full winter boot but they do have 200g thinsulate in them and 3/4 rubber outers... Very pleased with them...
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Fantastic pics. Looks like you figured out the tarp. First night looked like it was low with a lot of slack. Second night looked great. Almost like you had a tent.
    First night the tarp looked like a bed sheet draped over the clothes line... Second night was a much better setup, got a few thoughts on how to improve it even more...
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Excellent report and pictures. Sounds like a good trip. You had a few gear issues but you adapted, overcame and learned a few things for your next trip. Good on Ya!
    Thanks, apart from the darn stove everything worked out nicely... I thought about just cooking on a fire as I had plenty of fuel laying around in the woods but I had no suitable pot. Only pot with me was jetboil pot and with heat exchanger on bottom I didn't want to use it over a fire...
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast