SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Question Wide and Super Wide hammock - what for UQ?

Hi,

I'm now a proud owner of two Dream-Hammocks. One Danger-Bird 72 and one Crinkle 90. It seems that all UQ's are quite small for these big hammocks. I think of using both CCF pads and UQ to maximize the warmth.

Any ideas or experience? Should I make a custom order or is it possible to adjust for example The Incubator so that it will keep me warm even when sleeping diagonally in Crinkle 90? And do so also when those CCF pads are in between double layers.

I seek Your wisdom - O' You wise hammock Seers. Please help me in my quest to find The Absolute Deep Cold Hammock Rig.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The width of commercially available underquilts is designed to keep humans warm, not hammocks. The only reason to get a 90" wide UQ would be to keep the excess fabric warm, not you. Unless your diagonal lay turns into a width-wise lay, you should be fine.

My HG underquilt works fine with a 60" wide hammock and I suspect your UQ will also work fine with a 72" or 90" wide hammock.

I shudder to think what the weight of a 90" wide UQ would be, even if it were a 3/4 UQ.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-22-2012 at 15:10.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Any experience?

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The width of commercially available underquilts is designed to keep humans warm, not hammocks. The only reason to get a 90" wide UQ would be to keep the excess fabric warm, not you. Unless your diagonal lay turns into a width-wise lay, you should be fine.

My HG underquilt works fine with a 60" wide hammock and I suspect your UQ will also work fine with a 72" or 90" wide hammock.

I shudder to think what the weight of a 90" wide UQ would be, even if it were a 3/4 UQ.
    Any true experience?

I think the problem is the diagonal lay, how to suspend UQ if there is very much diagonal lay and on the other hand in big hammock one can move around more and take different positions, change direction of the lay during night. Bigger UQ would be easier to keep under You - I think. And different UQ:s have slightly different suspension systems - is there any difference in real usage point of view I do not know.

Then there is the question about CCF pads between layers and sleeping bag inside hammock. Those will make You bigger in the sense that UQ can not reach all over You when there is extra inch of pad and also big sleeping bag. (I'm also big guy myself.)

My current experience about UQ is using Warbonnet Yeti under BB. And those are made for each other.

If I order true extra puffy winter UQ it will cost me about 600-800 € after shipping, local taxes and customs. So I can not order anything just to test it and then order something else if the first one fails me. And if I order custom made UQ it will be even steeper price.

Maybe this will be my first DIY-project, first with cheap materials and then custom order...
    Last edited by voivalin; 07-24-2012 at 02:30.

down quilt sale

I hope this is the right place to post this.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bat...ID=207442&fp=F

They have quite a few quilts on sale now, not sure if they are good for our needs as they are large, but maybe folded?
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I recently got my Dangerbird 72, as well...so far, just house-hanging, but with the AC set to hit the mid-70s at night, it's about the same as if I were sleeping outdoors at the moment.

I reused my New River full-length underquilt, although I did have to let out some slack at the ends (the DB 72 is much longer than my Blackbird), it worked out okay. Initially, I felt like I had an air gap under me, or that it would easily slip off of me with all the extra side material to slide along, but I rigged up 4 shock-cord ties with a carabiner and cord lock, ran that through a couple of the side loops on the hammock, then clipped to the underquilt and tightened to make sure it was positioned under me.

Having 4 adjustable points made it much easier to make the underquilt match the direction I was laying, so I was very warm that night.
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Images
    I have used a WB Yeti and JRB MW (each a little over 40" wide more or less) on my giant Safari ( don't know the width, but it is huge), with no problems. The quilts kept me adequately covered.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The UQ only needs to be wide enough to cover you, not the width of the hammock. I have a DB 68" and 72", along with several others. The extra width (& length) makes it more comfortable for a diagonal lay. You just need to fiddle with the UQ to get it to lay diagonal with you.

Or you could spend a lot more money for a super deluxe extra wide and heat all the air travelling past...

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Or have you considered an enLIGHTened equipment quilt???? they are designed to be used as a uq as well as a top quilt and you can get them extra wide..at sixty inches i believe my wide is fifty four inches..with that said and the various ways to suspend them it would work well for you I do believe..
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

• + New Posts