Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Regarding the strength of the clips - I have used plastic mitten hooks and even the tiny 'keychain' biners and they work fine. The CRL is under too much tension for such lightweight hardware but the tarp is just pulled taut by hand (no rigging leverage) so not as much strength is required.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Oh so I should actually pass my CRL through my tie outs on my tarp and then attach the webbing to a prussic that's already attached to the CRL?
    I like to keep the CRL separate from the tarp - that way I can set up the CRL without worrying about the tarp touching the ground, or blowing around if it is windy.

Clipping the tarp to the already-rigged CRL also allows the option of hanging the tarp under the CRL if desired.

Both my tarps (Exped Combi and DIYGearSupply Winter) have multiple ridge tie-out loops so they can be rigged between close-spaced trees if necessary, so a carabiner attachment allows me to pick which loop I want to use.

But, you could certainly thread the CRL line through your tarp ridge end tie-out loops, and then use the prussiks to tension the tarp (attaching to the same tie-out loops), if you wanted.

Lots of ways to do it....

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The biners don't look be that much added weight, but I'm not sure what purpose they serve. What's wrong with just tarp to prusik? What does the biner add?
    Quicker to put up/take down. I use the same idea. On the CRL , I have two of the cheap walmart, spring gate mini carabiners (keychain sized) attached with a modified tautline hitch to the CRL. When I'm putting up the tarp I first hang the CRL. Then I just clip the tarp to the carabiners.

I mainly car camp, so the ounce or two extra doesn't make a significant difference. It's worth it for the time savings.
    Last edited by perdidochas; 10-25-2013 at 14:08.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    I like to keep the CRL separate from the tarp - that way I can set up the CRL without worrying about the tarp touching the ground, or blowing around if it is windy.

Clipping the tarp to the already-rigged CRL also allows the option of hanging the tarp under the CRL if desired.

Both my tarps (Exped Combi and DIYGearSupply Winter) have multiple ridge tie-out loops so they can be rigged between close-spaced trees if necessary, so a carabiner attachment allows me to pick which loop I want to use.

But, you could certainly thread the CRL line through your tarp ridge end tie-out loops, and then use the prussiks to tension the tarp (attaching to the same tie-out loops), if you wanted.

Lots of ways to do it....
    Oh yah that's a good point I'll probably so that way then thank you!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    How long do you guys make your CRL? Mines like 40ft I think. Nice to have but seems a but two long t I'm afraid once I cut it a but shorter I'll need it
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    How long do you guys make your CRL? Mines like 40ft I think. Nice to have but seems a bit too long t I'm afraid once I cut it a but shorter I'll need it
    Yup.
    What's the max tree-to-tree distance (to large diameter trees) that your hammock suspension will allow? The tarp suspension has to be (at least) long enough for that distance.

I always carry some extra line anyway, and Amsteel/Zing-It weigh practically nothing.

Images
    Have you ever tried tarp skins? They are awesome....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Have you ever tried tarp skins? They are awesome....
    No, I haven't tried them - yet.

What trick do you use to keep the 'skinned' tarp off the ground when you are rigging the 'first end' of the tarp suspension (CRL) ?

Also, I've read that skins make it more difficult to stuff the tarp into a small sac. Is this true?

Images
    No, I haven't tried them - yet.

What trick do you use to keep the 'skinned' tarp off the ground when you are rigging the 'first end' of the tarp suspension (CRL) ?

Also, I've read that skins make it more difficult to stuff the tarp into a small sac. Is this true?
    I don't, thats why I had ripstop nylon ones made instead of mesh, so I didn't have to worry about that. but sometimes I will wrap it around my shoulders to keep it off the ground if need be...

Nope, can shove it right back into the stuff sack, no problems.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Thanks, Fall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast